Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed?
Yes 24 32.88%
No 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times

Advertisements

The Toms River case where the 6 yr. old was shot & killed by a 4 yr old should scare us all.

Everyone assumed this Senatore guy was a...wait for it..."responsible gun owner" I'm sure his friends & neighbors all did. After all, he hunted his whole life. Surely his cop dad taught him the right way to handle guns over many years of bringing a gun home from work.

So when a 6 yr. old is blasted in the head on a sunny day in the suburban cul-de-sac, what do we find out? The "responsible gun owner" was anything but that. He kept several rifles loaded laying around the house where any one of his kids could pick one up. His idiot wife knew these weapons were around and she did nothing to secure them either. The poor family down the block who lost their son basically were unknowingly playing Russian roulette letting their kid play with this idiot's kids.

Most gun owners will say "that's not me. I'm responsible." But I take that the same way I take "i never cheat on my taxes" or "I never drive 90 mph" Say the popular thing in public but do something else in the privacy of your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 AM

478 posts, read 700,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The Toms River case where the 6 yr. old was shot & killed by a 4 yr old should scare us all.

Everyone assumed this Senatore guy was a...wait for it..."responsible gun owner" I'm sure his friends & neighbors all did. After all, he hunted his whole life. Surely his cop dad taught him the right way to handle guns over many years of bringing a gun home from work.

So when a 6 yr. old is blasted in the head on a sunny day in the suburban cul-de-sac, what do we find out? The "responsible gun owner" was anything but that. He kept several rifles loaded laying around the house where any one of his kids could pick one up. His idiot wife knew these weapons were around and she did nothing to secure them either. The poor family down the block who lost their son basically were unknowingly playing Russian roulette letting their kid play with this idiot's kids.

Most gun owners will say "that's not me. I'm responsible." But I take that the same way I take "i never cheat on my taxes" or "I never drive 90 mph" Say the popular thing in public but do something else in the privacy of your own home.
The NRA (Nuts, Racists and A**holes) solution to prevent this type of tragedy is simple.....we need more guns with complicated designs that a 4 year old can't figure out how to operate !!!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM

147 posts, read 389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
The NRA (Nuts, Racists and A**holes) solution to prevent this type of tragedy is simple.....we need more guns with complicated designs that a 4 year old can't figure out how to operate !!!
No, the correct reply to these reports of gun misuse is that anecdotes prove nothing. That's an elementary logical point. Incidents like this or school shootings may appeal to people's emotions, but hard data, studies of large numbers of people conducted by professionals, are needed to draw any conclusions in the gun control debate.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
No, the correct reply to these reports of gun misuse is that anecdotes prove nothing. That's an elementary logical point. Incidents like this or school shootings may appeal to people's emotions, but hard data, studies of large numbers of people conducted by professionals, are needed to draw any conclusions in the gun control debate.
Really ? Since they seem be be occurring with ever increasing frequency how many more mass shootings do you think we might need to endure before professionals can come to the conclusion we may have a problem ?

Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
One dead kid is too many. There are far too many irresponsible gun owners like Senatore who ruin other's lives.

I think gun owners will one day be ostracized like smokers & pit bull owners and less guns will be purchased. Gun owners will be viewed as bed-wetting nutjobs like foreigners now view us.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
What really amazes me is that many Republicans think it's more important to carry a pistol than it is to carry a health insurance card.
The length that many Republicans go to support stupidity is beyond belief.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
One of the principles that this country was founded upon is that every individual has natural rights. To argue against private gun ownership(for law-abiding citizens) is basically arguing that an individual doesn't have the right to defend his/her own life. With that said, I never understood the resistance to universal background checks.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
One of the principles that this country was founded upon is that every individual has natural rights. To argue against private gun ownership(for law-abiding citizens) is basically arguing that an individual doesn't have the right to defend his/her own life. With that said, I never understood the resistance to universal background checks.
No one is suggesting eliminating the right to own a gun to defend their life, however, they are suggesting the common sense approach that you don't need a military style assault weapon to do it.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
What really amazes me is that many Republicans think it's more important to carry a pistol than it is to carry a health insurance card.
The length that many Republicans go to support stupidity is beyond belief.
Only the very rich and religious fanatics benefit from Republican ideals........they are completely out of touch with the middle class and will not win another presidential election until they realize that and change their elitist views.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
'military style assault weapon'

meaningless term that makes no distinction between legal guns that opoerate the exact same way as illegal guns. This is a perffect example of prejudice based on ignorance.

Repubs are the working middle class.

How many illegal guns do you think are carried by otherwise 'law abiding' citizens located in the centers of excellence of murder throughout the country?

They are most likely not republican and no survey will ever get any of those folks to admit they carry a firearm for protection.

If the reps don't win another election it will because the media is the Dems/obama's propaganda machine and the criminal use of federal agencies to supress the conservative vote.

"election' is looking more like the equivalent of 'assault weapon' in terms of is ambiguous meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies