Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed?
Yes 24 32.88%
No 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:32 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times

Advertisements

I saw this news item today, and thought I would just leave a link and brief summary of the conclusions here to give the hoplophobes something to think about.

My guess is none of them will bother to read it as it would probably lead to some sort of mental melt down to learn that reality is so far removed from their distorted view of the world.

I would note that Harvard is not exactly known to be a bastion of conservatism.

Quote:
Harvard Study Shows Gun Control Doesn’t Save Lives
Quote:

Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy has just released a study of the relative effects of stringent gun laws. They found that a country like Luxenbourg, which bans all guns has a murder rate that is 9 times higher than Germany , where there are 30,000 guns per 100,000 people. They also cited a study by the U.S.National Academy of Sciences, which studied 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and it failed to find one gun control initiative that worked.

In fact, in many cases it found that violence is very often lower, where guns are more readily available. The report points to a myth that guns are more easily obtained in the United States than in Europe. That is factually incorrect.

Austria has the lowest murder rate of any industrialized country, with .8 murders per 100,000 people, yet they have 17,000 guns per 100,000 people. Norway is second with .81 murders and 36,000 guns. Germany is third with .93 murders and 36,000 guns. The United states has a murder rate of 10.1 murders per 100,00 people. But Luxembourg, which does not allow gun ownership at all has a rating of 9.01.
The same pattern appears when comparisons of violence to gun ownership are done within nations. Indeed, “data on firearms ownership by constabulary area in England.” like data from the United States show a “negative correlation” that is “where firearms are most dense, violent crime is lower, and where firearms are least dense, the violent crime rate is the highest.”
Another longstanding myth is that Europe’s relatively low murder rate is because of their gun control laws. The truth is, their rates were low even before gun control laws were passed, according to the Harvard study. In fact, their murder rates hit an all time low, before any gun laws were passed. In fact, their violent crimes have risen since they enacted gun control laws. By comparison, violent crimes have dropped in the U.S. over the same period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Awww, dude. I saw this Uzi at the range the other day. She was dark, mysterious with a hint of danger. Those Israeli chicks are SMOKIN!
i hear you, pretty hot stuff right here:

Old 09-22-2013, 03:56 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Simple truth - countries with high gun ownership rates have high levels of gun deaths. Places with high drug use (inner cities) have more ODs than places with little drug use (suburban Utah). Places with lots of cars & tight streets (NYC) have more pedestrian deaths than Bumf#ck Nebraska. Gun control as we have now is like putting a finger in the d!ke.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Simple truth - countries with high gun ownership rates have high levels of gun deaths. Places with high drug use (inner cities) have more ODs than places with little drug use (suburban Utah). Places with lots of cars & tight streets (NYC) have more pedestrian deaths than Bumf#ck Nebraska. Gun control as we have now is like putting a finger in the d!ke.
nobody cares about the number of gun deaths from suicide.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Quote:
As I expected, the hoplophobes would ignore the data.

The real simple truth is that countries with low rates of firearm ownership have higher rates of violent crime. Countries that have banned some or all guns have seen rates of violent crime increase following the ban.

If you want to increase the chance that your daughter is raped, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your wife is robbed at knife point, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your teenage son has his skull bashed in with a baseball bat by a gangbanger, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your family is a victim of a home invasion robbery, ban guns.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hear you, pretty hot stuff right here:

please, no more selfies.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
And crime didn't seem to be correlated at all with gun ownership rates. That suggests purchasing a gun doesn't have an effect on overall crime rates, which include both violent and non-violent crimes.

"We can show that guns don't make a nation safer," Bangalore told LiveScience.

More Guns Equal More Deaths, Study Finds | LiveScience

Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
As I expected, the hoplophobes would ignore the data.

The real simple truth is that countries with low rates of firearm ownership have higher rates of violent crime. Countries that have banned some or all guns have seen rates of violent crime increase following the ban.

If you want to increase the chance that your daughter is raped, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your wife is robbed at knife point, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your teenage son has his skull bashed in with a baseball bat by a gangbanger, ban guns.

If you want to increase the chance that your family is a victim of a home invasion robbery, ban guns.
On the other hand, none of the data presented support your last 4 statements.

And you have distorted the study for your first point.

The study is interesting and has some merits.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM

478 posts, read 700,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I saw this news item today, and thought I would just leave a link and brief summary of the conclusions here to give the hoplophobes something to think about.

My guess is none of them will bother to read it as it would probably lead to some sort of mental melt down to learn that reality is so far removed from their distorted view of the world.

I would note that Harvard is not exactly known to be a bastion of conservatism.

That's all fine and nice but no one is talking about banning all guns.....we're talking gun control and eliminating military style weapons from the public and mass shooters. Since mass shooters seem to be a growing problem limiting their ability to kill rapidly with rapid fire weapons with large ammo magazines will save lives. Despite the numbers comparisons in the report l didn't notice any indication that any of the countries mentioned allow any and all guns in public hands nor did I notice any countries mentioned that have the out of control mass shooting problems that we do.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 PM

478 posts, read 700,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody cares about the number of gun deaths from suicide.
That's because pills are a lot less scary and messy than a bullet to the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies