Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,470,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Or you are lying.

Choice (C) is correct.

This is the first defunding of Obamacare the House has done.

Don't you get tired of being caught in your lies so easily?
This isn't my opinion, or an un-sourced claim...this is on the congressional record, the GOP has publically stated it, and it's been on the national news every single time they have done it. I even provided backup. If you want to prove all of those sources liars, please feel free. Be sure to bring more then crying liar.

You are just claiming I am lying because you got caught looking like an idiot. I doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,768,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I just heard on NPR today that the house plans to shut down the government, unless the government agrees to basically kill ObamaCare. When is this belligerent stupidity going to stop? Sheesh, they are sounding more and more like the Taliban.

What is wrong with rational, centrist governance? When did conservatives decide to send in the goon squad instead of real leaders? It is just getting insane.

Well, no use waiting for the Senate(Reid) to decide that.

You guys and gals eat this stuff up. The house is only part of congress.
The house represents districts within each state and is closer to the people than the Senates special interest.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM

11,163 posts, read 10,750,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
This isn't my opinion, or an un-sourced claim...this is on the congressional record, the GOP has publically stated it, and it's been on the national news every single time they have done it. I even provided backup. If you want to prove all of those sources liars, please feel free. Be sure to bring more then crying liar.

You are just claiming I am lying because you got caught looking like an idiot. I doesn't work.
If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time that the House has passed a resolution which defunds Obamacare. They have voted many times to repeal it, but not to defund it.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,434,895 times
We are simply witnessing a historical event - the demise of the Republican Party. They can't even get someone back into the White House after spending an amount equal to the national debt. They're ideology stinks and this move is yet another desperate attempt to appear relevant as they continue their free fall.

The health care crisis stared them in the face for 8 years under Dubya, and they ignored it. Prior to that, during Clinton's two terms, republicans didn't offer up one plan to address the issue. Now that President Obama has come up with a plan, one that Republicans tried to gut before it was passed, they are petrified of its success.

I for one am enjoying watching the Pubs make fools of themselves, as they continue to sound like imbeciles and blundering idiots, digging their political graves. They are bleeding to death and as this proceeds, the country benefits in spite of their negative narrative.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Even before today's successful vote on the Continuing Resolution to fun the entire U.S. government for the next year.... the House didn't need to do anything at all, if they wanted to "defund" Obamacare.

Obamacare already didn't have this needed funding. It has never had it. It was already "defunded", if you will.

The House didn't have to pass anything at all, to "defund" it. All they had to do was, nothing. <snip of the rest of this nonsense because...well, it's nonsense.>
Do you have anything to back up these ridiculous claims, or are you, as usual, just flapping your gums? Because to refute your crap, there is this:

The ACA includes both discretionary and mandatory spending to fund its programs, but many key ACA initiatives are funded through mandatory spending that does not require further Congressional approval. In total, the ACA included $101.25 billion in mandatory spending from fiscal years 2010 through 2019. By the end of fiscal year 2011, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) had awarded nearly $3.6 billion in grants under the ACA. Most grant programs under the ACA have been funded through mandatory spending.

Affordable Care Act Funding: An Analysis of Grant Programs under Health Care Reform » Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation

Most of the grants for this year have already been disbursed. Good luck getting that money back. Trying to defund it is as futile as trying to repeal it, but I don't expect the toddlers in the Tea Party to understand that.

And since you are especially knowledge challenged, let me add the definition of mandatory funding:

Funding not controlled by annual decisions of Congress in the annual appropriation bills. These funds are automatically obligated by virtue of previously-enacted laws.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,708,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
But we didn't lose. President Obama campaigned on Obamacare and President Obama won reelection on Obamacare. How does that translate into a loss? Like the two year-olds they emulate, the Tea Party is now demanding a do-over because they don't like the results. Sorry, children, but that's not how it works.
Obama won because the GOP didn't have a strong candidate, not because of Obamacare, since the majority of Americans are against it. Obama is a campaigner, not a leader.

Times/CBS Poll: 68% Against Obamacare

Old 09-20-2013, 03:16 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Obama won because the GOP didn't have a strong candidate, not because of Obamacare, since the majority of Americans are against it. Obama is a campaigner, not a leader.

Times/CBS Poll: 68% Against Obamacare
People are against "Obamacare" because the right has done a masterful job of demonizing it. But when asked about individual pieces that are in the law, a majority of Americans actually like it.

10 Reasons Most People Like Obamacare Once They Know What's Really In It | Alternet

Elections have consequences. If a primary goal of Americans was to overturn the ACA, they certainly would have voted for Romney. They didn't. The law stands. That's how it works.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,072,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Conservatives have to use things like CR's and the debt ceiling to extract policy wins against Democrats because they can't win the argument at the ballot box.
You have forgotten the 2010 midterm elections already, Harrier sees.

If Harrier were a Democrat(gasp!) it would be painful to recall that trouncing too.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM

30,195 posts, read 18,770,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Waiting for the same answer, they do not seem to know what the problems may be because they are having to ask others, as for fixes I doubt they have any other than kill the program all together and not reralize that is not the option.
I offered a nine point conservative solution. As a good liberal, you just refused to read it!

What are the "good things" that conservative solutions do relative to Obamacare?

1. does not increase taxes
2. does not increase healthcare expenses for business
3. does not compel business to dump employees currently on healthcare plans to medicaid roles
4. allows patients to continue with current insurance plans and their current doctors
5. does not increase medicaid roles (which will ultimately increase costs to states and reduce access)
6. does not compel those who do not want insurance to buy insurance
7. does not rob $700 billion from medicare
8. does not compel business to dump employees to part time in order to avoid increase costs

Like my previous post, you will not read this. Why not? You are a liberal and programmed to accept all liberal principles without question or thought, just like we would expect in an authoritarian state.

Wake up. "Change" is coming- either in the form of sanity being re-introduced to the current government, or the breakup of the existing government. This shell game cannot go on forever.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,302,069 times
I don't know why you guys argue this Obamacare stuff with Conservatives anymore. It's not worth your time.

It's the law. It's not going to be defunded and although there will be some glitches in its implementation, it's going to succeed...wildly.

Tell right wingers to go fry an egg or something. It's a done deal....and no amount of preening like peacocks and threatening to do this or that to stop it will chance the inevitable.

Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies