Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And technology.

But how do we address skills/education in this country?
By having the government declare that STEM is the most important thing in education today.
And then they go out and send IT volunteers to schools to recruit and influence the youth.

But the problem is that these volunteer programs are not targeting the gifted students in Math/Science.
They go to the inner city schools instead and have to deal with the chronic failing students.

I know..I was a volunteer and left because of it.
Dog and Pony show for public appearances and "diversity" and "PC" about getting more minorities into STEM fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
By having the government declare that STEM is the most important thing in education today.
And then they go out and send IT volunteers to schools to recruit and influence the youth.

But the problem is that these volunteer programs are not targeting the gifted students in Math/Science.
They go to the inner city schools instead and have to deal with the chronic failing students.

Dog and Pony show for public appearances and "diversity" and "PC" about getting more minorities into STEM fields.
Welcome to the wonderful world of education.

I went into teaching because they said they wanted and needed subject matter experts to raise the bar on education only to find they don't want us or need us and they won't let us raise the bar. They just want to say they have subject matter experts so it looks better. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
RIP, middle class: 1946-2013
The reports of my death are widely exaggerated.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of education.

I went into teaching because they said they wanted and needed subject matter experts to raise the bar on education only to find they don't want us or need us and they won't let us raise the bar. They just want to say they have subject matter experts so it looks better. Kind of silly if you ask me.
Will you elaborate further? Always good to have firsthand accounts...

Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Quote:
The shrinking middle class is due to globalism.
The people in emerging nations have caught up to us and are surpassing us with skills/education for middle class jobs.
Lower labor costs and the internet are the nails in the coffin.
To a degree yes...but too many people sat on their rear ends and did not read a paper....I saw the demise of the rust belt in the 1970;'s where I lived and left ..I have friends still there 40 years later waiting for big steel, auto or rubber jobs to return....other friends got degrees in Liberal Arts and can't figure out why they don't have a job...then they double down and tell their kids to get degrees in Liberal Arts too....amazing....

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
This is well-written and engaging piece, but the writer has economic-literacy issues. He's writing about economics for salon, but I bet that he never took econ 101, or maybe he took it and got a 'D.'

Quote:
automation that enables 5,000 workers to build the same number of cars that once required 25,000 hands
Technology does not eliminate jobs, it just shuffles them. We've had a continuous stream of new technology since Eli Whitney and before. If technology eliminated jobs, how does the author explain that in the 1970's, 200 years after Eli Whitney, there was a jobs boom? Actually there was high unemployment in the late 70's, but according to the author it was boom times.

Quote:
“You can’t grow an economy, grow a middle class, without making things, producing stuff,” says Mike Stout, a steelworker who lost his job when Pennsylvania’s Homestead Works closed in 1986. “It’s just impossible. I haven’t seen it anywhere.”
This is what economists call the physical fallacy. Of course manufacturing is important, but there is nothing magical or unique about it.
Quotes: Thomas Sowell on the physical fallacy

China has plenty of manufacturing, but average family income is still only about $2,100, and the same wealth disparity problems we have.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/wo...-gap.html?_r=0

The writer also fails to realize that while globalization might hurt people as workers, it benefits them as consumers. In 1977 you could buy a made-in-USA Apple II computer for $1300, with 4K of RAM. Now you can buy a laptop with 6GB for half that.

What's craziest is that the writer thinks that Nixon was some kind of economic visionary. Nixon was terrible on economics, and Ford, whose idea of fighting inflation was to print up buttons with the logo "WIN," which stood for 'whip inflation now," was no better. Well written piece, but still a fail.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
The world is getting richer as our jobs are outsourced. We have become lazy, materialist, in debt, and our government is corrupt.. the Blessings of God are removed as God is being removed from our society. The
younger generations are fed trash to become more materialist, immoral and corrupt. The word God is used in vain constantly with OMG which is just an exclamation with no reverence.

Each year it will get worse.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:

Thank you, end BS course like women studies or slave studies...make college teach, not indoctrinate..

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Thank you, end BS course like women studies or slave studies...make college teach, not indoctrinate..
Of course, THIS is the reason for the downfall of the middle class.

Please.

A degree in Women's Studies is better than no degree at all. Many big corps just want to know that you made it through 4 years of college; they aren't that picky about the specific degree.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 PM

215 posts, read 297,475 times
"For the majority of human history – and in the majority of countries today – there have been only two classes: aristocracy and peasantry. It’s an order in which the many toil for subsistence wages to provide luxuries for the few." - from the Slate article

Has anyone seen any research or studies on the effects of thinking of yourself as either an aristocrat or a peasant?

Aristocracy and peasantry is still upwardly and downwardly mobile in the USA. We aren't born into either class and destined to stay there from cradle to grave.

An aristocrat could pick up a drug habit and commit a murder and end up in jail, and that person is now a peasant.

A peasant could win the lottery or become a star basketball player, and is now an aristocrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies