Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Juat an idea: instead of banning guns, let's ban people.
I think we should make murder illegal, that should help, it's for the children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Controlling people is very difficult. On the other hand, if the terrorists in Kenya had been armed with knives, would they have been able to murder so many people?

It did take a gun to stop them...
Just think if no one but them had a gun???

Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
most laws are about people control, or the illusion of control of which in the end will be carried about the same guns they don't want people to have :-) Money is control, guns are the force to control the money and take it when you choose.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Expanding background checks doesn't ban any guns.
What would you like to go further? The ones who have done the shooting were either on prescription drugs or had a clean record. This last shooting the guy was known to have issues, yet NO one helped him, he even asked.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I am actually not a big gun rights person ban them, hand them out to everyone I am basically indifferent. Yet I find the reasoning of gun control proponents fascinating. Many are liberals and after each horrible incident they demand we ban guns all the while ignoring the commonalities among those behind the shootings.

Also when Muslim terrorists commit another attack liberals go out of their way to point out not all Muslims are terrorists. Fair enough but not all guns are used in mass murdering rampages. So why do you want to ban guns but draw the line at banning Muslims?

A Fox News liberal is catching heat from liberals because of stating we should ban mosques and visas to Muslim students. Now the banning mosque thing is a non-starter and unconstitutional I wouldn't support but limiting student visas to Muslims is worthy of legitimate discussion IMHO.
Fox's Beckel: No more mosques in America until Muslims 'denounce' Kenya attacks - POLITICO.com
I can only answer for myself.

While I wouldn't say that I'm basically indifferent, I'm in somewhat the same boat. I'm against banning guns, but definitely for stricter regulations on gun ownership.

Setting the Muslim terrorist thing aside, for a moment, I do agree with you that there are other factors that need to be addressed as well as it pertains to the people that murder. Again, I can only speak for myself, but I can say that in the past whenever I am entering into a conversation about the problem in this country (and 250 instances, in one year, where 4 or more people were murdered DOES IN FACT make it a problem we have to deal with) I'm usually met immediately with "Ah, liberal this, liberal that, Obama, take our guns" yada yada. There is no discussion to be had because everyone has an agenda, and if they don't have an agenda they are worried that the other person they are talking does have one.

With strict regulation I think that it's a logical first step. Nothing's permanent so who knows if it would last, but the bottom line is we can't keep not doing anything. Is the violent culture in the US created through the media? I don't know, that should be looked into. The movies? I don't know, that should be looked into. The economy, the housing market, the job market, the religious, the non-religious, the constant reminder that corporations own us, the belief that the rich are the only ones who matter, the belief that the poor get all the breaks? Whatever is brought up should be looked into. But we do have a violent culture in America and that should change.

It's embarrassing at this point. It's ridiculous that on the one hand we have people who call us a "Christian Nation" yet we see so many murders each year. It's ridiculous that on the other hand we claim to be such a "Progressive Nation", yet we see so many murders each year. We've always got an eye on what's going on in other countries and ignoring this huge issue here.

As for the Muslim stuff. Hey we can look into that, too. That will of course open up the conversation about religion, so the Christians should be ready to be examined as well. Keep in mind that a lot of the "you step foot on my property I'm gonna blow your damn head off" folks sit there in church every Sunday morning reading about how Thou Shalt Not Kill, so we need to be examined as well.

It's going to take a long time to fix the culture in this country. I just believe that until we can isolate the problems and take care of them, as I said before, the first logical step is to have stricter laws on the weapon that is most commonly used for mass killings.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Reagan supported gun control, yet righties still worship him

Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I am actually not a big gun rights person ban them, hand them out to everyone I am basically indifferent. Yet I find the reasoning of gun control proponents fascinating. Many are liberals and after each horrible incident they demand we ban guns all the while ignoring the commonalities among those behind the shootings.

Also when Muslim terrorists commit another attack liberals go out of their way to point out not all Muslims are terrorists. Fair enough but not all guns are used in mass murdering rampages. So why do you want to ban guns but draw the line at banning Muslims?

A Fox News liberal is catching heat from liberals because of stating we should ban mosques and visas to Muslim students. Now the banning mosque thing is a non-starter and unconstitutional I wouldn't support but limiting student visas to Muslims is worthy of legitimate discussion IMHO.
Fox's Beckel: No more mosques in America until Muslims 'denounce' Kenya attacks - POLITICO.com
Both the Muslim religion and gun ownership have fallen victim to a few "bad apples" in their respective carts. The rest of us are expecting each to deal with their own.

If they are it is being done out of the limelight.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Reagan supported gun control, yet righties still worship him
This is for you so you know exactly what he supported!
Gun Control Group Falsely Claims Ronald Reagan Supported Universal Background Checks

However, the truth is that Reagan supported the kind of background checks that emerged from the Brady Bill--i.e. the kind of background checks we have right now.
Moreover, in his op-ed, Reagan gave preference to state-level legislation over federal. He did that specifically regarding states that already had their own background check system in place. To them, he said, the Brady Bill "would not apply." Of course, those who passed the Brady Bill in 1993 did not take this advice into account.
So Reagan wrote an op-ed supporting background checks on handguns, but said nothing about shotguns or rifles. And he believed states' rights needed to be protected, so he said the Brady Bill would not apply to any states that implemented their own background check system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies