Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
If the DEA arrested you in Colorado for cultivating marijuana, this is how I predict your conversation may go:

DEA: "You're under arrest for cultivating marijuana."

You: "But, I'm in Colorado and it's legal here."

DEA: "That's cool. But, you're also in the United States, and it's illegal here."

You: "But, I thought that state law supersedes federal law."

DEA: "Sucks to be you!"
You: Well I don't recognize Federal Law.

DEA: You will eventually learn to. You will have time to think about it in Federal prison.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
what is ugly? the word "whitey" being used by a white person? oh how offensive. that statement would be offensive to approximately 0.00000008% of the US population.
When you said Lincoln got what he deserved...That`s ugly. Being pro murder is ugly.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is a flag. This may be significant pride for people who have ancestors who died for this flag. Lets respect the dead, who died for the ideals, and honor the fact that freedom of speech and expression is allowed in the United States.

And the Black Panthers can fly their own flag...or anyone else for that matter.
I would hope that no person anywhere has ever died for a flag.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
They have the right to fly the confederate flag, but I have the right to booooooooo it.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I would hope that no person anywhere has ever died for a flag.
Actually, people literally did die for a flag. Flags were huge symbols of pride and to carry it was an honor - to let it get captured was a huge dishonor. Many people died in such manners for a flag.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 AM

150 posts, read 92,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is how you think. I think differently. I look at it and I shake my head. You have the freedom to fly that flag. It is freedom of speech. Just don't expect me to look at that flag as something beautiful. I see it and it does not say "southern heritage" to me.
Well we can respect each others position. Maybe the US flag makes you feel the way I feel about the Confederate flag I don't know. I am born and raised Southerner and very proud of my heritage and that flag is part of that heritage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
When you said Lincoln got what he deserved...That`s ugly. Being pro murder is ugly.
I do wonder what would have happened if Lincoln had not been assassinated by Booth. Would he have sent all slaves back to Africa as he had planned and talked about?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This idea that the confederate flag represents southern pride only works if one forgets that the enslaved were southerners as well.

The bottom line is this the confederate flag represents death to black southerners, the enslavment of black southerners, racial hatred directed at black southerners, evil committed against black southerners, and the exclusion of a huge part of southern society which are black southerners.

The southern states were fighting to keep black southerners in bondage. They were fighting to destroy the families of black southerners, kill black southerners, and to treat black southerners like animals/cattle. So the confederate flag is one with an ugly history, which is 100% based on keeping black southerners enslaved forever.

I personally think that those who fly the confederate flag are endorsing slavery and all that goes along with it despite what they say.

Someone who wants to represent southern pride or heritage, could easily pick southern symbols that don't have anything to do with slavery and that actually includes black southerners.
Stars and bars don't necessarily represent slavery. Also, what if a black person was raising the flag as we saw a couple pictures of already?

I get your point and I agree to a certain extent. Just asking a question is all.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 AM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you know the difference in statutory law and common law?

Look it up in Black's Law Dictionary
Yes, I do, and you're still wrong. Federal law is enforceable all over the country; it doesn't matter where you go. For you to argue otherwise is silly... you don't know what you're talking about, and some poor soul is going to read this and actually believe you (I don't know whether to think that's funny or sad).

State law cannot reduce the responsibilities of American citizens at the federal level, but it can increase those responsibilities at the state level. You can refute that all you want, but you're wrong.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Actually, people literally did die for a flag. Flags were huge symbols of pride and to carry it was an honor - to let it get captured was a huge dishonor. Many people died in such manners for a flag.
In that regard, I stand corrected.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Just remember, you can't be patriotic and fly the flag of traitors at the same time.
Does that apply to the Cascadia flag in the Pacific Northwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies