Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Actually, this plan is specifically designed for people who have no access to health insurance. Those who can least afford it are predominantly covered by Medicaid. There are many people out there who are self-employed, underemployed, or have pre-existing conditions that have not even been able to find anyone who would offer them a plan, and if they did, it was outrageously expensive.
I agree but question the Medicaid thing.

Being poor has not automatically qualified an adult who is not pregnant for Medicaid.

The federal government gave states the option to increase the percentage of FPL to include more people. 25 states chose not to do so. Most of those states have the highest percentage of uninsured citizens and legal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well Americans being American tend to jump on what they perceive is a good deal. Black friday for example. Suckers for car advertisements etc. If the exchanges were so great one would think the short term thinker would be jumping all over it. I think most like myself have visited the sight just to see what was up. By the way I still haven't been able to get in even last night at 3am. I have never encountered a website so fouled up.
Black Friday- early bird sales are often perceived as limited time offers by many consumers.

Most folk do not file their federal and state tax returns until the 2 week period before the 4/15 deadline, regardless if they owe money or expect a refund. 12 million of them file for extensions. Go figure.

People in need of insurance have until 12/15 to sign up and pay for insurance that will become effective 1/1/2014. Open enrollment continues until 3/31/2014 for delayed coverage.

Healthcare insurance can also be bought directly from any insurance company licensed in your state. The exchange simply allows consumers to compare and contrast plans.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
BlueCross BlueShield of Louisiana got seven enrollees in a Wednesday evening data transfer from federal computers, although one may have been a duplicate.
Louisiana is one of the states with the highest percentage of uninsured U.S. citizens/legal aliens. The state did not expand Medicaid so I suspect many will remain uninsured. I am sorry.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Black Friday- early bird sales are often perceived as limited time offers by many consumers.

Most folk do not file their federal and state tax returns until the 2 week period before the 4/15 deadline, regardless if they owe money or expect a refund. 12 million of them file for extensions. Go figure.

People in need of insurance have until 12/15 to sign up and pay for insurance that will become effective 1/1/2014. Open enrollment continues until 3/31/2014 for delayed coverage.

Healthcare insurance can also be bought directly from any insurance company licensed in your state. The exchange simply allows consumers to compare and contrast plans.
Come now the President has been bragging about how successful ACA is already and yet states, not companies are reporting single digit enrollments.
To be honest I never understood the black friday thing and never will. Waiting in line freezing your butt off? My time means more to me than saving a few bucks.
I know very few people who wait until the last minute to file when they know they have a refund. I am sure some do, just as some people wait to the last minute to pay a bill.

Lets face facts. If people were so eager to get insurance they would be jumping on this. The fact that the majority of Americans oppose the ACA as a whole speaks volumes. A good number of those who support the ACA oppose Obamacare. Go figure. LOL
I suspect that many who support the ACA are still under the impression that they will find great health Insurance for the same cost as a monthly Cell Phone bill. Then again about 40% of Americans trust the Fed.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Self-employed people will finally have the ability to buy medical insurance on the same basis as corporate and government employees. That's a godsend for these hardworking folks, who have pretty much been left out in the cold all these years. People with corporate jobs are in good shape, as are the poor. It's the middle class self-employed people who've been getting hammered.
This deserves to be quoted again and again, so maybe the cons -- who claim to be all about supporting small business, which includes self-employed people -- will actually see and comprehend it. (I won't hold my breath on that.)

Not only will currently self-employed people benefit tremendously, but it's quite possible that many corporate drones will suddenly realize they don't need to be shackled to jobs they hate anymore and will strike out on their own, secure in the knowledge that they can still get the health insurance they need without paying an exorbitant premium.

A self-employed friend of mine currently pays $950 a month for health insurance. Under the ACA his premium will drop to $380 -- with no subsidy. Yet according to the free-market fundamentalists, he's somehow a "parasite" for just wanting to pay the same rate as someone in a corporate group plan.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Romney ran on that exact platform and you saw how well that worked.

Everyone who signs up for insurance under the ACA and gets needed medical treatment will vote Democrat for decades. The Republicans have made sure of that by opposing it at every step.
The republicans kicked out of their existing insurance plans and pushed to the exchange will never vote for a democrat for decades.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,870 times
The only reason I love Obamacare is because I am a small business owner and so are many of my family members.

Self insuring has been a joke. You pay out the a$$ for comprehensive coverage and when something happens they deny or drop you.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
The people who oppose the ACA are almost all geezers on Medicare, Tricare, and VA. That's at least 67 million. ACA will only sign up 30 million at the most. The opponents programs are at least 5x as expensive for each enrollee. If you are on Medicare, Tricare, or VA you don't know what $6,250 deductible is do you? If you think ACA is so great drop your current coverage.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The republicans kicked out of their existing insurance plans and pushed to the exchange will never vote for a democrat for decades.
Nor will Democrats whose premiums on their existing plans skyrocket.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Nor will Democrats whose premiums on their existing plans skyrocket.
How much did they skyrocket?? Don't have a clue do you because you are on a government program already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies