Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

I'm curious.... How much of that money was spent on orders from the white house to do things like have armed guards shut down unmanned parks, take handles off water fountains, and try to close the ocean?

Come to think of it, Im wondering where the waste was otherwise...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yep, $24 BILLION. That's what the S&P Index says was directly flushed down the drain from our economy, while Ted Cruz was grandstanding and raising $1.2 Million for his own political campaign.

How you likin' them Tea Party folks now?

Oh wait, I can tell you. According to the latest polls just before the shutdown was lifted, the American public gave Republicans an approval rating of only 25%, and the Tea Party an approval rating of only 20%, the lowest ever recorded.

And what did they get for that $24 Billion blowout? Nothing. Just as predicted by more moderate members of the Republican party.

And yet people are already piling in here, asserting that the next time the Tea Party will prevail!

Realistically, the next time the Tea Party may not even be at the table. All they have done is wreak havoc, and the costs are starting to mount. The public is sick of it.

Bill Ted Cruz and his ilk for it. I'm sure they're good for it.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
LOL. I'm always amused when the far right is shocked by the results of their follies.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
yea, lets negotiate with a gun held to our instead of regular order, which you guys cried about at the beginning of the year. over 20 times you guys blocked the senate from entering into a budget conference after passing a budget you guys had been screaming for the last 4 years.
This was not a big deal, it was just one small item, simply delay the punishments against the uninsured for a year, it's silly to compare that to all the controversial amendments the senate stuffed into the federal budget bill back in March.

I can understand the House balking at many senate budget amendments, like them taking another $270 billion out of Medicare, but the one year delay was a simple request to ask for.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Great tweet from former GOP White House press secretary Dana Perino:

"The RNC set to announce the location of the next GOP convention...abandoned phone booth. Should be plenty of meeting space in there."

Yep, all the sane Republicans know where to lay the blame.

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
That's because it's obvious to everyone with half a brain recognizes that the fault lies with the side that tried to use economic harm and that of insolvency to dictate the overturning of a law - ie, THE GOP.

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
I love when the right tries to blame everyone else for their own blunders.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We knew the media would do this, no matter how many times Obama, his advisers and Reid stated they would refuse to negotiate at all.

Republicans never expected to get a fair shake in the Big Three networks' coverage of the 16-day government shutdown, but the final tally of stories blaming the GOP is stunning: 41 stories blamed Republicans and zero blamed Democrats.

Nightly, 20 million Americans heard “a version of the shutdown story that could easily have emanated from Barack Obama's own White House,” said the new report from the Media Research Center.

Networks blamed shutdown on GOP in 41 stories --- 0 for Dems
Most voters blame the GOP too. You're just unwilling to admit the GOP is horrible. Has nothing to do with the media.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm curious.... How much of that money was spent on orders from the white house to do things like have armed guards shut down unmanned parks, take handles off water fountains, and try to close the ocean?
Obviously you haven't bothered to find out how this shutdown really worked. The President didn't do any of that. Each of the various Federal Agencies was responsible for developing its own contingency plans, and deciding what to cut.

Why do so many people spout so much gibberish that has no basis in reality?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Wow, how many more threads will there be to try to deflect blame from the GOP for this mess?

So, let me copy and paste my reply to this one's twin--it's verbose, but true:

No, the GOP did this to themselves. Boehner had a clean bill ready to be voted on, and had the votes to pass it a while ago, but refused to bring it to the House floor for a vote.

The GOP has tried time and again to try to hamstring or outright appeal ACA, knowing full well the Democrat controlled Senate would never pass it as is. I guess it beats the hell out of actually doing something productive.

Then they attempted the same thing with the spending bill and failed, again. The KNEW it would fail, and did it anyway, why? Of course, to "blame the democrats" the naive fell for it. I, for one, didn't.

And, for what? To bring the nation within 24 hours of defaulting on it's financial obligations...again. Well, they can also claim responsibility for the US credit rating to go down again. Congratulations.

Then they had that lame photo op in front of the WW2 memorial while people were getting furloughed without pay. If it looks like bull**** and smells like bull****, then, guess what...it's bull****, and the GOP in this case, is covered with it.

And the RWers call the Obama supporters sheep. You guys are worse, you're lemmings, following your party over a cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies