Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM

63 posts, read 47,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Cost them nothing?

Oh, lookie. It's someone who thinks money falls from the sky.

Clue: Taxpayers get the bill. NOTHING costs nothing.

Jeez!
It doesn't cost the state governments anything additional. It's an expansion they don't have to increase taxes for. Ostensibly, for them, it is an expansion that requires no additional revenue. So...NOTHING additional.

Textbook deflection.....or inability to understand.

Hopefully the former...probably the latter.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
It doesn't cost the state governments anything additional. It's an expansion they don't have to increase taxes for. Ostensibly, for them, it is an expansion that requires no additional revenue. So...NOTHING additional.

Textbook deflection.....or inability to understand.

Hopefully the former...probably the latter.
Based on your own statement, nothing this year and "trivial" amounts later. It is that "trivial" amounts later that you can't dismiss. Please define trivial. She isn't deflecting, you are cherry picking your "facts".

Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Cost them nothing?

Oh, lookie. It's someone who thinks money falls from the sky.

Clue: Taxpayers get the bill. NOTHING costs nothing.

Jeez!
The operative word is THEM. If Bill Gates decides to pick up my hotel bill, the bill isn't free but the hotel stay is free to me. When the federal government pays for a state's Medicaid expenses, it is free to that state's taxpayers.

There is thus no way that a state should turn down this offer except for spite.

Oh, and Dr. Krugman wrote about that too -- the Spite Club.

Quote:
the only way to understand the refusal to expand Medicaid is as an act of sheer spite. And the cost of that spite won’t just come in the form of lost dollars; it will also come in the form of gratuitous hardship for some of our most vulnerable citizens.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Obamacare is a disaster. It was a train wreck and there is nothing you can do to save it, the Republicans were right this whole time. The best thing to do now is throw it out the window.

I don't think this hurt the GOP, if anything this hurts the Democrats. The average American citizen is quite frankly becoming fed up with Obama and his administration, you can bet they won't be voting Democrat again.
Newsflash...The ACA is already helping people. The website is not a reflection on the insurance quality and one does not need to be a rocket scientist to understand the difference. The ACA is here to stay and the right wing is doing everything in their limited power to deflect attention away from their pathetic and unpopular government shutdown fiasco. Let's see...2016...more Americans getting healthcare as opposed to some sociopathic party taking their affordable healthcare away...yeah, I wonder how they will vote.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Agreed. Obamacare needs to be scraped and started over. Criminal what they are doing to the younger generation... going to be an uprising over this once people start to realize the true plan. My 25 year old nephew is up in arms over this as are all his friends and they refuse to participate. Hope the lawsuit going through channels strikes this down when it reaches the Supreme Court.
I disagree with you on this. You and I likely have very different views on the role of societal responsibility for the healthcare of our citizenry. My position is that healthcare should be available to all affordably and the cost should be borne by the entirety of our economy. ACA attempts to do this, but it fails in my mind in that it keeps private insurance as the means to that end. So when I pay my taxes, 20% of that goes not to healthcare but to investors and CEOs. I would greatly prefer a system where healthcare is not a profit center. But, Dems gave up any attempt at that in order to court Republican votes. In the end that failed and we get private insurers only. We will just have to see how it all plays out.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
When the SCOTUS struck down the provision of the ACA that required all states to accept Medicaid expansions; the red states were chomping at the bit. States are free to reject Medicaid expansions that would cost them nothing the first year and a trivial amount later. So the question is...How can states turn down money to insure their poorest members? Unbridled Spite...Spite to slap the hand of literally anything that has Obama's name on it.

What is their real justification? Rate Shock? Nah...not that.

Some of them have the audacity to claim that Medicaid actually hurts it's recipients. The evidence the right wingers in power have used......those that are on Medicaid tend to be sicker.

"O.K., you know what to do: Google “spurious correlation health.” You are immediately led to the tale of certain Pacific Islanders who long believed tha having lice made you healthy, because they observed that people with lice were, typically, healthier than those without. They were, of course, mixing up cause and effect: lice tend to infest the healthy, so they were a consequence, not a cause, of good health.
The application to Medicaid should be obvious. Sick people are likely to have low incomes; more generally, low-income Americans who qualify for Medicaid just tend in general to have poor health. So pointing to a correlation between Medicaid and poor health as evidence that Medicaid actually hurts its recipients is as foolish as claiming that lice make you healthy. It is, as I said, a lousy argument."
-Krugman.

So in summation. The rightie governors are planning on all denying Medicaid expansions in an ill-fated attempt to keep the poorest and sickest members of society off Medicaid roles.....for their own good? This is a great sign of the Right's moral and intellectual path towards the oblivion and it's all in the name of spite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/21/op...rssnyt&emc=rss
Your argument loses all credibility when you say "attempt to keep the poorest and sickest members of society off Medicaid roles". The poorest are already on Medicaid, the states not expanding Medicaid are not expanding to allow people living at the poverty level or even above the poverty level to join the poorest on the Medicaid roles (which is a good thing given that Medicaid was created for the very poor).

Additionally, who is going to pay for these expanded Medicaid levels? The federal government? And where are the feds getting the money to pay for it? Well, they're probably just printing it, but where is the value of that money coming from? Oh right, taxpayers...that's where!

What I have to say is thank you Rebuplican Governors for protecting the economy of your states and supporting the middle class!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Then please use your high intelligence to show me a single government program that has economically outperformed a privately run counterpart.

Anyone who willingly self-identifies as a democrat or republican today is someone who wasn't blessed with an abundance of brains.
Medicare.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I see three major problems with Obamacare

1) is the way that the individual mandate works. The fine is easily avoided, and you can sign up after you're sick or injured with no penalty. Imagine if a company offered fire insurance where you could sign up after a fire. No one would sign up unless they had had a fire. So then the company would lose hundreds of thousands on each an every customer. The company would quickly go bellyup.

2)is the 30 hr. rule. Companies now have huge incentive to create 25 hr/wk part time jobs. And they will. We've already seen that starting. We just had a 20,000+ worker grocery strike here in WA state barely averted over just that.

3)complexity. We all have seen and hated the results of our overly complicated federal tax code. Nobody likes it, but nobody can figure out politically how to reform it. The complexity benefits the rich, and screws the people down-scale. The Warren Buffets have armies of lawyers and accountants, after all. Why is it going to be any different for the 2600 page ACA?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Under and unfunded mandates. Wanna' put a stop to them? Repeal the 17th amendment. Restore the balance of power to our Constitutional Republic.

The Supreme's wisely struck down the mandate for medicaid expansion, on constitutional grounds. They also, and it pains me to say it, left in place the tax. It is a tax and could not be thrown out, just because it was presented, sold and passed in different clothing.

But Justice Roberts, in his majority opinion, made it clear that the judgement of whether the policy (Obamacare) was good or bad policy, and whether the law was changed, dismantled, whatever; was rightly in the political arena, not in the court's purview. Great wisdom in that portion of his decision.

For a law that will gobble up 1/6 of the U.S. economy, that was passed under cover of night, and with the greatest of misrepresentaion, subterfuge and chicanery, it is right and wise to oppose it in the political arena. By any and all means possible.

The political process is exactly what we are seeing play out, today.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Somebody cue up the clip from " Animal House" where Kevin Bacon screams " Remain calm, all is well!" just before he's trampled.
People are fleeing in panic AWAY from Obamacare.
Oh yes, people are just FLEEING Obamacare in favor of more-expensive or non-existent private insurance. Just watch them FLEE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies