Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You and I likely have very different views on the role of societal responsibility for the healthcare of our citizenry.
Then you must realize that Obamacare places an overwhelmingly unfair burden on younger generations, while older generations shirk their responsibility of being fiscally responsible. Do you think they are just going to sit back and take it ? It is a trainwreck.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh yes, people are just FLEEING Obamacare in favor of more-expensive or non-existent private insurance. Just watch them FLEE!
They would if government regulation actually let those types of insurance exist...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
They would if government regulation actually let those types of insurance exist...
Really? People with pre-existing conditions or too old or too poor to buy insurance would go back to the private market so they could NOT buy insurance? Those "types" of insurance have existed since day one.

Man, my car ran out of gas because I can't afford gas! If only I could drive my gasless car to the gas station to buy gas I can't afford!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM

63 posts, read 47,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Just making insurance more affordable doesn't negate the real issue which is cost of treatment itself and treatment itself lends itself to traditional market forces poorly because the demand is inelastic.

If health insurance is more affordable then that is a great thing, but it still doesn't negate the fact that everyone regardless of insurance gets covered for emergency (i.e., expensive) treatment. Without us all being insured or incurring a penalty of some kind it doesn't properly penalize those who fail to secure treatment, so we are indirectly subsidizing their malfeasance anyway, unless of course we passed a law to turn away people without coverage.

At least with a system designed like the ACA, it forces everyone to have SOME skin in the game.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
You just knew this was going to happen:

Obamacare launch spawns 700+ cyber-squatters capitalizing on Healthcare.gov, state exchanges | WashingtonExaminer.com

Not blaming the Dems for this. Just making it somewhat tougher to navigate to the correct site that one is mandated to enroll in.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Really? People with pre-existing conditions or too old or too poor to buy insurance would go back to the private market so they could NOT buy insurance? Those "types" of insurance have existed since day one.

Man, my car ran out of gas because I can't afford gas! If only I could drive my gasless car to the gas station to buy gas I can't afford!
This is exactly why Medicare was created in the first place.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Medicare.
Yep.

Medicare consistently gets the best pricing on treatment. Health insurance companies have negotiation units but they aren't nearly as effective.

A centralized negotiation unit which would be present in a Medicare for all form of single payer (comparable to healthcare systems in Belgium, France, Australia, Sweden, Finland, etc) would drastically reduce cost of treatment.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
At least with a system designed like the ACA, it forces everyone to have SOME skin in the game.

And therein lies the #1 problem in my mind with this whole thing. It FORCES people to subscribe.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

And therein lies the #1 problem in my mind with this whole thing. It FORCES people to subscribe.
When people get treated without insurance they are FORCING us to pay their bill. The bill, not only for treament, but for the recovery costs are passed along.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
This is exactly why Medicare was created in the first place.
Wow, you just said it all!

Obamacare is the Fukushima of public policy....we have a reactor core meltdown and do not know it yet. Inevitably this will lead to a totally nationalized or single payer system, sooner rather than later. When the "public option" becomes the only option, it is not an option--it is inevitable. Congratulations, progressives! Your plot is working out far better than expected!

You just have to love it when people, including the OP, talk about how "most" people don't need the exchanges because they already have coverage through their employer--as if it is just fine to totally screw the minority since they are a minority. Guess what? "Most people" had coverage before the ACA, and "most people" were happy with their coverage before the ACA. The "most people" rationalization is pure bunkum.

I'm one of those unsubsidized folks in the individual insurance market, and here is what is going up for me: out of pocket maximum exposure, copay costs, deductibles, and premiums. Oh, but I get full coverage for a couple of very inexpensive items that I used to just pay for. whooppeee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies