Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Well you could be that lady who bought a $50/M plan that didn't cover hospital stays and ...... end up in the hospital?
But.. I'm not. I had an excellent plan that covered what I needed. I'm assuming the RISK (in this case ZERO) for not having maternity care. But... that's not what YOU SAID. Ya'll are saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The rest of us have a right not to be stuck with your bills so that you can eat out more often, have a data plan on your phone, or whatever priority you place above making arrangements to pay your own freight. Everyone has a DUTY to purchase insurance in an amount sufficient that they will not become a burden on the rest of us in the event of an unforseen health crisis.
So what your saying is I have to purchase what YOU deem appropriate and pay what YOU want me to pay for and get stuck with YOUR bills because my premiums have gone up to pay for things that I don't need...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You do realize that the more options and pre-paid services a plan has, the more it costs, right?
Obviously. Any other brilliant insights you have for us?

Quote:
And that if you saved your own money, instead of giving it all to the insurer for all these gimmicks, you'd be VASTLY ahead financially, right?
Oh sweet Jesus, someone get this guy a calculator. Your logic is paying the bare-minimum for routine coverage, so that you can PAY FOR A HOSPITAL STAY IN CASH? Are you serious?

Quote:
Really, I don't know if you're just a partisan troll... or a paid troll... but either way, you're wrong about everything you say and about what's good and what isn't.
Why don't you please educate us about how someone comes out ahead by saving enough to pay for a hospital stay in cash rather than paying a monthly premium for a plan that covers hospital stays.

I can't wait for your non-response b/c at least this thread will be slightly less migraine-inducing.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
I don't really care that Conservatives want to pretend that they don't like it, or worst case, fool themselves into thinking it's whatever scary boogeyman-of-the-week they've thought up. Have at it. Be like those Red states opting out of the Fed footing their Medicaid bill 100%, then 90%, so that, in effect, they're financing all the Medicaid payments for the states that did opt to accept Federal money. Sacrifice your own economic stability to take a moronic "stand."

The sickening part is how Conservatives are actively sabotaging people from knowing they are getting hosed by their insurance company. Conservative love to bring up the "If you like your health insurance, you can keep it" line everytime someone's insurance policy is no longer available. But then you leave out the fact that the majority of those plans are deficient; anyone that knows anything about how insurance works, knows that those are the plans that are the most likely to lead to people filing bankruptcy due to their medical bills. Those plans are the ones w/ absurdly low premiums b/c they have absurdly low caps or absurdly tight restrictions on what they cover.

Conservatives are rooting for people to stay ignorant of how their insurance works by hoping they don't understand that when a plan that's crappy gets eliminated by the gov't, it's so that one surgery and hospital stay doesn't bankrupt their family. If someone's complaining about how they suddenly don't have their $60/M plan as a 50 y/o woman, then respectable people would inform that person that they were in all likelihood getting hosed. But that's not how Conservatives roll. Noooo. They point out Obama said she could keep that plan, and now she's losing it, so she should get mad and FIGHT to keep that ridiculously deficient plan.

And when she goes bankrupt from an ankle surgery, those same Conservatives will be the first ones crowing at her "it's her fault for not knowing better."

CBS News’ Misleading Obamacare Report: Woman’s Plan Paid $50 Per Service, Doesn’t Cover Hospitalization | Mediaite

So... how about we all grow up and actually deal w/ whatever "concerns" you have Obamacare that doesn't rely on faux outrage and people's ignorance of their own healthcare plan.
Obamacare is a disaster. And we all agree health care costs are too high, but Obamacare isnt and wasnt designed to deal with health care costs. Most of us are all for that, but something like that is going to take unpartisan effort by both sides.

What is REALLY worse is you liberals couldnt even be honest about this "great" bill youve been touting for years. You couldnt be truthful about the damage it would do. Well now, people are finding out. You have only yourselves to blame. This is YOUR bill. OWN IT!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
But.. I'm not. I have an excellent plan that covers what I need. I'm assuming the RISK (in this case ZERO) for not having maternity care. But... that's not what YOU SAID. You said:

I assumed you were discussing what the worst case alternative could be for you not having a plan w/ standard options.

If you weren't, well suck it up. That's what WE all pay for to make sure there are no more junk plans floating around in the market. If you have a problem w/ shared responsibility, well win a election, and get a President in the White House that will tell people that don't understand how coverage works that they're on their own.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Yeah, everyone needs the mandated pediatric dental and vision coverage required by Obamacare.
Pediatric dental is not required. The ACA has most plans both with and without.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
THAT'S a legit complaint. It has some merit. It shows some concern for people around you. It points out something that could negatively impact society and people.

What's not a legit talking point is trying to get people worked up over their own ignorance and short-sightedness. What's a disgusting show of partisan glee is rooting for people to buy plans that will almost guarantee them going into bankruptcy if they require surgery.
What's not legitimate is ANY argument you've made yet.

This is one of the most absurd threads I've seen here. Everything you say is factually wrong, or predicated on absurd premises, and mostly is just a collection of partisan talking points.

Major Medical costs a small fraction of what the higher "Obamacare" plans cost. On the order of 1/4 of the cost. In my case, just the wife and I are well over $1100/mo. If we, instead of paying out $1100/mo, set aside 700/mo and paid 300 for a catastrophic plan... In just 5 years we would have a little less than $50,000 in savings ( figure out what a decent money market account would return for you). And the other 100/mo is what we'd be forking out for the care we actually routinely use.

So, with a deductible of $7000, explain to me why I'm bankrupt if I still have about $40,000 in the bank?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
I assumed you were discussing what the worst case alternative could be for you not having a plan w/ standard options.

If you weren't, well suck it up. That's what WE all pay for to make sure there are no more junk plans floating around in the market. If you have a problem w/ shared responsibility, well win a election, and get a President in the White House that will tell people that don't understand how coverage works that they're on their own.
You know what? I'm smarter than both of you (you and Obama) put together. What's really sad, is that my IQ is right smack in the middle of "average". The implications of having the blind and ignorant force their wishes on other people... Are hard to describe in polite company.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
What's not legitimate is ANY argument you've made yet.

This is one of the most absurd threads I've seen here. Everything you say is factually wrong, or predicated on absurd premises, and mostly is just a collection of partisan talking points.

Major Medical costs a small fraction of what the higher "Obamacare" plans cost. On the order of 1/4 of the cost. In my case, just the wife and I are well over $1100/mo. If we, instead of paying out $1100/mo, set aside 700/mo and paid 300 for a catastrophic plan... In just 5 years we would have a little less than $50,000 in savings ( figure out what a decent money market account would return for you). And the other 100/mo is what we'd be forking out for the care we actually routinely use.

So, with a deductible of $7000, explain to me why I'm bankrupt if I still have about $40,000 in the bank?
Well seeing how catastrophic insurance hasn't been eliminated... maybe you want to go sit down somewhere and build another strawman?

Or maybe you want to talk about the plans that are the exact opposite of catastrophic plans b/c those are the ones that lead to bankruptcy, since that's what this thread is talking about?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
No they don't. There are so many stories about people going bankrupt b/c they had no idea how bad their insurance was. That's been a focus of healthcare reform for years.
Insurance was not reformed. It should have been but it wasn't.

Quote:
No b/c there are subsidies for those that qualify, and gov't regulation for the obtuse, and fines for the people that need that extra push. Once you've accounted for those, then we're left w/ the people that just don't want insurance.
The millions and millions that it's unaffordable.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
You know what? I'm smarter than both of you (you and Obama) put together. What's really sad, is that my IQ is right smack in the middle of "average". The implications of having the blind and ignorant force their wishes on other people... Are hard to describe in polite company.
Of course! The guy who says you come out ahead by putting aside money to pay for a hospital stay instead of paying the premium for a plan that covers hospital stays is obviously smarter than Obama and me...

That's the string theory of finance right there. Only a truly gifted mathematician could solve that puzzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies