Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If the public was informed they would give expanded healthcare serious consideration. But the public is not informed.
Although all systems have flaws those who have experienced socialized healthcare usually see it in a positive and beneficial way.
The health insurance industry has the money, power, and access to the media to finance manufactured fear about changing the status quo of healthcare. The usual and predictable scare tactics are used to condemn anything which may threaten their profits. To many, socialized healthcare is equivalent to erecting a large statue of Lenin in Washington.
Ok, let me ask you (and everyone else) some BASIC QUESTIONS:

Assuming there is majority support for a single payer health insurance program: How do you implement it?

How do you get everyone to pay into it (remembering not everyone is employed or has deductions or the underground economy)?

How big would the federal bureauacy have to be to implement a single payer system?

Would people be allowed to "Opt out" of such a system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Well here is the thing about that - at least for me... and I would assume many other posters - we are not experts in the field of medical health care. So I am not sure it would make sense to try to detail a plan here in a message post. I do know that several well researched and extremely detailed plans have been thought through and proposed by appropriate experts in the medical health care field.

The biggest block is really just breaking through the politics to bring these plans to the table and then have a frank discussion about them. I just don't understand why every other major industrialized country seems to be able to do it and yet for us it would be impossible and unacheivable. Yes, we have more people, but that should not serve as an excuse not to have a discussion. Especially when the current system is causing jobs to be lost in America, and causing consumers so much extra money for any American made products they purchase.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am doing the same.
We have a Naval Hospital here,quite a lot of the care is contracte out to the civilian hospital.Probably part of that whole shrinking the military budget some President did...
You talking about the legislation to drum down after the cold war that Bush Sr. signed and was implemented on Clinton's term?

Quote:
How would you make Doctors stay in a system that doesn't pay?
Some military doctors have civilian practices.

Quote:
Why would someone go through all that schooling and expense to then not make enough money?
It doesn't have to be expensive. Presentely, medical school training is rationed. If it weren't, the cost would go down.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well you know that Active Duty can't sue the government right?
Personally I would say do away with all of the malpractice suits, if a Doctor does something wrong due to negligence they get fired and lose their license, AFTER going before a Medical Review Committee.

The Lawsuits are out of control and is a bad way to balance healthcare IMO.
So if due to medical negligence, your 25 year son is crippled and co no longer practice his profession, and can't make a living, he shouldn't be able to sue?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Based on the amount of training the Doctors would get paid more of course.
Classical musicians have more training than most EVERY profession I can think of. Not many people start training when their 5. Yet even the highest paid classical music musicians, playing at the Met, for instance make under $200K. Most make less than $50K working at other jobs to make a living.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
So if due to medical negligence, your 25 year son is crippled and co no longer practice his profession, and can't make a living, he shouldn't be able to sue?
I support the right to litigate for compensatory damages. But, not punitive damages

Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,029 times
But... without punitive damages, it's harder to put a dent in the industry and really create an incentive for people to change their ways, isn't it?... although maybe this should apply more to corporations than to individuals... on the other hand, when someone steals $200 from you and you end up in court, the court typically doesn't simply tell the thief to give you the $200 back. It's strange to me that many conservatives are so adamantly anti-defendant in criminal cases and pro-defendant in civil cases, especially when the defendant's a big corporation, or so it seems.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
But even if we made those changes, lawsuits and insurance only make up 3% of the total medical costs. Some specialties pay a higher percentage than others (think ob/gyn) but overall, this isn't what is driving healthcare costs up. Well, at least according to the people that are better at crunching numbers than I am.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
But... without punitive damages, it's harder to put a dent in the industry and really create an incentive for people to change their ways, isn't it?... although maybe this should apply more to corporations than to individuals... on the other hand, when someone steals $200 from you and you end up in court, the court typically doesn't simply tell the thief to give you the $200 back. It's strange to me that many conservatives are so adamantly anti-defendant in criminal cases and pro-defendant in civil cases, especially when the defendant's a big corporation, or so it seems.
Apples and oranges

In a criminal case, the victim has essentially nothing to do with the case. The "State" is the Plaintiff (State v ......). And, in many criminal cases, the court DOES ORDER restititution

In a civil case, it is different. And, the right to sue is, and has been, to make someone "whole" - the concept of "punishing" (punitive damages) is a fairly recent adjunct. If you want punitive damages - cap them. As it is right now, you can get a compensatory damage award of $1.00 and a punitive damage award of $10,000,000. Does not compute.

As an aside, I have been involved in a fair amount of jury polling after trial - and when asked about punitive damages that were awarded, the most common answer is "oh, it is just the insurance company paying - not the defendant" or "there is no problem - it's not like the doctor is paying this out of his pocket".

And, IMO, therein lies the problem.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Those were some interesting stories. Let me share another. Our neighbors were on vacation in Canada. Their daughter got a sore throat, so they took her to the dr. The dr. prescribed the antibiotics w/o doing a throat culture. He told them that was because the Canadian system pays for lab tests but not for drugs. So the docs learn to work the system. Just prescribe the drugs, which the pt. will pay for, instead of doing the throat culture, which the health service would pay for. In this country, the culture would be done, then antibiotics prescribed only if the pt. had strep. Overuse of antibiotics is a big concern, and "playing the system" happens in any system.
I am not sure I understand your point. Doctors automatically prescribe antibiotics all the time here in the US without cultures. I actually was prescribed antibiotics a couple of years ago without a throat culture because I started feeling bad right after my son had a confirmed case of strep throat. I normall avoid antibiotics at all costs because of the overuse is a HUGE concern of mine and they also wreak havoc on you, but since my son had just had it, I thought it was a reasonable assumption.

Yes there are always going to be "bad apples" and people that abuse the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies