Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,521,878 times

Advertisements

Stay off the exchanges if you can. In case they cancel me, I'm looking at Aetna (they have my hospital and dr). Found this tool, I'm sure others are out there.

Compare Health Insurance Plans: Medicare, Individual, Medicaid & Dental Coverage. HealthPocket saves you money and time by comparing all health plans in 1 click

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/05/news...Top+Stories%29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My policy was cancelled to comply with Obamacare. I'm one of many in this situation - having great insurance we liked and having the policy cancelled due to Obamacare.
I also received a cancellation letter. I'm not upset in the slightest because I understood how flawed that policy was. In the past I had no choice, but to accept it, I am self employed and insufficient insurance was all I could possibly afford. I used to work in HR, part of my job was to compare and purchase health insurance for the company. I understand health insurance better than most, and I support many of these reforms, and knew they were going to benefit many people. It's about f'ing time we had some reform in the insurance industry!

I did the logical thing and checked out the exchanges where you can get a list of companies offering policies and the basic prices, there will be some variations when based on actual ages, but the prices are very reasonable. There were numerous companies and policies to chose from. I'm going to be able to afford a better policy for the same price. Those who are currently struggling financially will have the benefit of tax subsidies to help pay for the insurance. You can also check out other policies being offered by one's current company.

Many people are uninformed and going off emotion and parroting whatever some Fox pundit is saying instead of educating themselves. Too many don't realize they will be able to purchase better coverage for the same or even lower monthly premium. Those suffering financially will benefit greatly from the subsidies.

BTW, there is NO SUCH THING as "Obamacare" insurance! That is utter nonsense! The policies available on the exchanges are from major insurance companies, it's no different than buying an individual policy last year, different companies and policies have different participating providers. One needs to carefully research any policy before purchase to make sure they chose a policy that includes a good selection of physicians and hospitals.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I also received a cancellation letter. I'm not upset in the slightest because I understood how flawed that policy was. In the past I had no choice, but to accept it, I am self employed and insufficient insurance was all I could possibly afford. I used to work in HR, part of my job was to compare and purchase health insurance for the company. I understand health insurance better than most, and I support many of these reforms, and knew they were going to benefit many people. It's about f'ing time we had some reform in the insurance industry!

I did the logical thing and checked out the exchanges where you can get a list of companies offering policies and the basic prices, there will be some variations when based on actual ages, but the prices are very reasonable. There were numerous companies and policies to chose from. I'm going to be able to afford a better policy for the same price. Those who are currently struggling financially will have the benefit of tax subsidies to help pay for the insurance. You can also check out other policies being offered by one's current company.

Many people are uninformed and going off emotion and parroting whatever some Fox pundit is saying instead of educating themselves. Too many don't realize they will be able to purchase better coverage for the same or even lower monthly premium. Those suffering financially will benefit greatly from the subsidies.

BTW, there is NO SUCH THING as "Obamacare" insurance! That is utter nonsense! The policies available on the exchanges are from major insurance companies, it's no different than buying an individual policy last year, different companies and policies have different participating providers. One needs to carefully research any policy before purchase to make sure they chose a policy that includes a good selection of physicians and hospitals.
Earlier upthread, I already explained that I've shopped the 'new' plans. I am not struggling financially but it doesn't mean I want to pay an additional $400 per month and have a MUCH higher deductible. Oh and even more good news. The network narrowed to the point that I have to drive 50 miles to see a doctor. Considering I live in a city of around 700K, I find that is ridiculous. Obamacare is limiting my access. I'm seriously contemplating concierge medicine. There's a few of those doctors in my town and getting basic insurance for catastrophic only. Either way, I am paying a LOT more for my medical care now.

Point blank, I had great insurance, I liked that insurance, and it was not inferior in any way. It did not have maternity - something I can't even use as I explained before - so it was cancelled.

You are in the minority based on what I'm seeing - being happy with this new Obamacare insurance. Get out there and speak to some people. See for yourself.

I am in no way basing my opinion on any pundits but my actual experiences. Sorry, I know that doesn't fit your narrative. Oh well.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,822,733 times
Quote:
Earlier upthread, I already explained that I've shopped the 'new' plans. I am not struggling financially but it doesn't mean I want to pay an additional $400 per month and have a MUCH higher deductible. Oh and even more good news. The network narrowed to the point that I have to drive 50 miles to see a doctor. Considering I live in a city of around 700K, I find that is ridiculous. Obamacare is limiting my access. I'm seriously contemplating concierge medicine. There's a few of those doctors in my town and getting basic insurance for catastrophic only. Either way, I am paying a LOT more for my medical care now.

Point blank, I had great insurance, I liked that insurance, and it was not inferior in any way. It did not have maternity - something I can't even use as I explained before - so it was cancelled.

You are in the minority based on what I'm seeing - being happy with this new Obamacare insurance. Get out there and speak to some people. See for yourself.

I am in no way basing my opinion on any pundits but my actual experiences. Sorry, I know that doesn't fit your narrative. Oh well.
There are no doctors and hospitals in Charleston?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
There are no doctors and hospitals in Charleston?
Some great doctors and hospitals in Charleston and about 90% of the doctors belong to one or the other hospital's physician partners. However, for the plans being offered on the individual market, there is only one insurance company offering one of the hospitals are in-network and frankly, the plans they offer suck. Best plans are being offered by BCBS but the closest in-network doctors and hospitals are 50 miles away.

There was an article in our local paper about it and the hospitals said the reimbursement rates were too low. The hospitals (the ones 50 miles away) that are taking the new 2014 insurance plans (e.g. individual plans) are substandard and I personally would not go to them for just about anything.

Not sure what the hospitals are going to do when the employer mandate kicks in since they'll be facing this issue again but for those of us with individual policies, we're getting screwed on network coverage right now.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,521,878 times
If they cancel my plan I will be paying more. I'm still checking plans out, but so far that's what I've found. The closest one to my present coverage has a huge out of pocket. It does take my doctor and hospital though and it's not on the exchange. I've noticed the rates between insurance companies on the exchange vary from state to state, which may explain why people are getting different deals (not to mention you might qualify for help). For example, New Hampshire has one exchange company, while Wisconsin has a bunch. It's really peachy for those that can get a better plan, but tons of us are getting much worse plans. So much for this thing being fair and square, it sucks.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Quote:
Some great doctors and hospitals in Charleston and about 90% of the doctors belong to one or the other hospital's physician partners. However, for the plans being offered on the individual market, there is only one insurance company offering one of the hospitals are in-network and frankly, the plans they offer suck. Best plans are being offered by BCBS but the closest in-network doctors and hospitals are 50 miles away.

There was an article in our local paper about it and the hospitals said the reimbursement rates were too low. The hospitals (the ones 50 miles away) that are taking the new 2014 insurance plans (e.g. individual plans) are substandard and I personally would not go to them for just about anything.

Not sure what the hospitals are going to do when the employer mandate kicks in since they'll be facing this issue again but for those of us with individual policies, we're getting screwed on network coverage right now.
Have you checked outside your states exchange like on ehealthinsurance? I know where I live there will be another insurance company offering policies in 2014 but it has not publically been announced yet. They are not part of the states exchange program and, from the info I've been able to get, will have my preferred doctors and hospital. No prices yet, but in my situation I was facing either COBRA ($$$) or a Kaiser HMO (which does have an excellent rep in my area) so anything else will be welcome Our local BCBS plans also have narrow networks with doctors I wouldn't want to go to.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Have you checked outside your states exchange like on ehealthinsurance? I know where I live there will be another insurance company offering policies in 2014 but it has not publically been announced yet. They are not part of the states exchange program and, from the info I've been able to get, have my preferred doctors. No prices yet, but in my situation I was facing either COBRA prices or a Kaiser HMO (which does have an excellent rep in my area) so anything else will be welcome Our local BCBS plans also have narrow networks with doctors I wouldn't want to go to.
Yeah, I gave up on the exchanges almost right away. Went to our state insurance commissioner's site to see which companies would offer individual insurance in 2014. Then I went straight to their sites. We're one of those states with very few options. BCBS pretty much has 90% of the market so anyone else is usually pretty crappy plans. I wish they would just sell plans across state lines and allow more competition. Remember when they opened up car insurance that way? Now it's SO much better and easier to get than it was previously.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:

I have spoken to a great many people. I belong to a large nationwide network of self employed professional individuals, we all have experience buying individual insurance. You are in a minority in having great individual coverage based on those I correspond with, we just don't see that, no one has stated having that, and lost it. Overall, most of us will get equitable, or better policies with a bit of effort and shopping around, it's still not great by any means. The largest benefit is those who were denied health insurance, often for minor, or highly manageable conditions because insurance companies felt they were too risky, or the meds were too expensive. People trying to be responsible and get coverage only to get denial letters from every company.

One woman who took antidepressants after becoming a young widow was denied insurance because of it. A lot of people with preexisting conditions will finally be able to get insured. I myself was denied insurance due to a minor condition some insurance bureaucrat felt was risky even though my MD attested was nothing to worry about, and meant no future complications. They finally put me on a 6 months long waiting list, then offered me insurance that cost $1200/mo, I was a 28 year old, healthy grad student with no money.

I am sorry that insurance you liked was cancelled, having had a decade of insurance nightmares I don't wish that on anyone. It's different for different areas, in my state we have many options that are an improvement. It sounds like the insurance companies in your area are the real problem for not offering decent policies. The companies are a big part of the problem with US healthcare and should be held accountable for the products they offer.

I'm not saying I love, or am happy with the act, it's not what I would have chosen, and I see many problems that will arise and need work to resolve. I'm saying many of these reforms were needed, and simple repeal to the old way is NOT the answer. I'd love to see a better plan for health care in the US, but so far I see nothing offered, just people who want to keep the stays quo even though it has been horrible for so many people.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I have spoken to a great many people. I belong to a large nationwide network of self employed professional individuals, we all have experience buying individual insurance. You are in a minority in having great individual coverage based on those I correspond with, we just don't see that, no one has stated having that, and lost it. Overall, most of us will get equitable, or better policies with a bit of effort and shopping around, it's still not great by any means. The largest benefit is those who were denied health insurance, often for minor, or highly manageable conditions because insurance companies felt they were too risky, or the meds were too expensive. People trying to be responsible and get coverage only to get denial letters from every company.

One woman who took antidepressants after becoming a young widow was denied insurance because of it. A lot of people with preexisting conditions will finally be able to get insured. I myself was denied insurance due to a minor condition some insurance bureaucrat felt was risky even though my MD attested was nothing to worry about, and meant no future complications. They finally put me on a 6 months long waiting list, then offered me insurance that cost $1200/mo, I was a 28 year old, healthy grad student with no money.

I am sorry that insurance you liked was cancelled, having had a decade of insurance nightmares I don't wish that on anyone. It's different for different areas, in my state we have many options that are an improvement. It sounds like the insurance companies in your area are the real problem for not offering decent policies. The companies are a big part of the problem with US healthcare and should be held accountable for the products they offer.

I'm not saying I love, or am happy with the act, it's not what I would have chosen, and I see many problems that will arise and need work to resolve. I'm saying many of these reforms were needed, and simple repeal to the old way is NOT the answer. I'd love to see a better plan for health care in the US, but so far I see nothing offered, just people who want to keep the stays quo even though it has been horrible for so many people.
There's actually very high agreement with some things that everyone wanted. A way for people to get insurance if they had pre-existing conditions, insurance not being able to cancel if you get sick. However, the methodology employed via Obamacare is just bad policy period. It is literally mandating people to cover risks they could never physically endure (e.g maternity for men). It is throwing out the baby with the bath water when it's "supposed" to be addressing junk policies but instead is throwing out all policies, good or bad, due to a narrow grandfather clause.

Why didn't the Dems address the GOP's request to open up health insurance to be sold across state lines?? What rationale was there for them to say no? Because the GOP suggested it? They sure seemed hell bent on shutting out the GOP completely in that debate.

I made sure I had good insurance and when I used it for the tumor in my daughter's head, I got to see the best doctors and the insurance paid out according to our contract. Now I will have my access to those doctors removed because of the effects of Obamacare on the narrowing of networks. Obamacare was touted as a way to increase access and reduce costs. Thus far, it's decreased access and increased my costs. So, no, I am not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies