Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 AM

775 posts, read 1,260,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't care about your judgements about their lives. I won't discuss the lives of complete strangers.

The idea that someone has to be some type of person who has some type of life to deserve government benefits is a standard we don't apply to any other government benefits but those benefits that help poor people.

To get the homeowners tax break or the get the employer health insurance tax break or to get help for going to college for you kid or to get a business loan, to get the child tax credit, to get the 401k tax break, etc we don't say what kind of life has this person led do they DESERVE this government benefit.

No as a nation we say you qualify for a program based on the law.

As Americans it is disturbing to me the number of people who want to make qualifying for a government program not based on the law, but based on this absurd notion of if other people like your lifestyle or feel you deserve the program.

This would be a disastrous manner to run the government or decide public policy in an attempt to disqualify individual people we don't think deserve something.

The question becomes do they qualify based on the law of the program? Yes.

The debate about any government program has to be reality based. It has to say who are the vast majority of people who benefit from this program and will they be hurt by cutting it.

The answer for food stamps is the vast majority of food stamp recipients are children, the disabled and elderly. This is objective reality. When we talk of cutting the program that is who we hurt.

Again, a program that is 2% of the federal budget, that gives people who are poor by the way $133 a month per person or $4 dollars a day is where conservatives direct their ire.

It never fails any program that helps poor people conservatives hate.
The only thing I gather from you is you benefit from one of these programs. No one said they hated poor people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,761 times
Iamme, stop it right now.

Stop saying that conservatives hate poor people. It is a bald faced lie.

Those of us who budget and are frugal cannot believe our ears when someone claims they cannot make do with a generous grocery allowance. That isn't hate, it isn't anything but understanding that there aren't enough dollars available for everyone to have everything they want, all of the time.

Just stop this crap.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
I don't care about your judgements about their lives. I won't discuss the lives of complete strangers.

The idea that someone has to be some type of person who has some type of life to deserve government benefits is a standard we don't apply to any other government benefits but those benefits that help poor people.

To get the homeowners tax break or the get the employer health insurance tax break or to get help for going to college for you kid or to get a business loan, to get the child tax credit, to get the 401k tax break, etc we don't say what kind of life has this person led do they DESERVE this government benefit.

No as a nation we say you qualify for a program based on the law.

As Americans it is disturbing to me the number of people who want to make qualifying for a government program not based on the law, but based on this absurd notion of if other people like your lifestyle or feel you deserve the program.

This would be a disastrous manner to run the government or decide public policy in an attempt to disqualify individual people we don't think deserve something.

The question becomes do they qualify based on the law of the program? Yes.

The debate about any government program has to be reality based. It has to say who are the vast majority of people who benefit from this program and will they be hurt by cutting it.

The answer for food stamps is the vast majority of food stamp recipients are children, the disabled and elderly. This is objective reality. When we talk of cutting the program that is who we hurt.

Again, a program that is 2% of the federal budget, that gives people who are poor by the way $133 a month per person or $4 dollars a day is where conservatives direct their ire.

It never fails any program that helps poor people conservatives hate.

Of course you don't care, because you apparently condone irresponsible behavior! As I've said, it's fun spending other people's hard earned money, isn't it? No conservatives don't hate the poor, but what folks do hate is the abuse! It screws it up for those who really do need it!

Furthermore, my hard earned money is subsidizing these people! I have my own family to take care of, so why should it be on ME the taxpayer to feed someone elses family??? I'm usually pretty compassionate, but where I draw the line is where an individual is not doing a damn thing to better themselves in the process and continue to expect handouts on my dime!!!!

I commend the OP that despite her shortcomings, that she is still keeping her nose to the grind, has the drive, work ethic, and is actually doing something to help herself to provide a better life for her and her daughter!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,963,327 times
Quote:
Yes, they are, conservatives hate them with a passion, Any government program to help them is hated by conservatives who then label the program as corrupt, rife with fraud and abuse because this is what conservatives think of poor people.

The whole gaming the system lie, why don't conservatives ever focus on the TRILLIONS of dollars that this government spends that has nothing to do with poor people?

I mean surely in the TRILLIONS of dollars spent by the US government that doesn't go to poor people there has to be some gaming of the system.
But never a peep from conservatives. No what upsets conservatives is a program that is 2% of the federal budget that gives out $133 dollars a month or $4 dollars a day for food that mostly goes to feed children, the elderly and disabled.

But I know only poor people are frauds and cheats. By the way there isn't much fraud in the food stamp program. The government does attempt to find it and measure it, but I know factual information about actual reported fraud is meaningless to conservatives who just know that there is rampant unseeable fraud.

Same old lie, conservatives hate.
It's funny. The only hate I see on this thread is coming from you. I guess you are a conservative on food stamps.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I don't think Conservatives are offended by the benefits themselves as much as the way such benefits are utilized. The principle behind this is that if hardworking individuals are having money taken out of their wallets and given to others, every dime of it should be accounted for and ensured it's being used properly instead of wasted on those that are only struggling from a lack of good decision-making and/or abusing those benefits at the cost of those who need them.

And believe me, you're hearing tons of "peeps" about wasteful government contracts from Conservatives right now. *cough*Obamacare Website*cough*
How many millions of taxpayer dollars went into that utter disaster again?

Who cares what offends conservatives? There is no principle. The government does attempt to measure and account for the money in the foodstamp program. It is one of the programs that is the least fraudulent, but that reality is irrelevant to conservatives.

No, conservatives don't care about government waste only when it comes to poor people. The only time. The US military spends HUGE amounts of money every year.

The food stamp program is 2% of the federal budget, by comparison, but where do conservatives who want an accounting of their hard earned tax dollars focus on the program that helps poor people.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
The only thing I gather from you is you benefit from one of these programs. No one said they hated poor people
if you took away all of that poster's babble about 'hate' they'd have nothing left to say.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,523,442 times
There's a reason you put some of these people on ignore. They have nothing useful to say and are not intelligent enough to have a conversation with. When people say things like, "conservatives hate the poor" which is about as stupid a remark one can make about the conservative approach to life, there's no reason to waste any of your own precious life with them. Ignore them, defeat them politically, and move on. They are the "useful idiots" we've read so much about.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,085,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Payroll taxes were " temporarily" reduced due to the recession. When restored, the masses howled that it was a tax increase.

SNAP benefits were " temporarily" increased due to the recession. When restored, the masses howl that it's a reduction in benefits.

What is it about " temporary" that so many do not comprehend?
Because the people who are living off of the government handouts can't understand why something could be taken away from them. They need to be fully supported to the level of living that they are accustomed to. How dare we try and limit the free stuff they're receiving!!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I know this spoof video is a real thing to conservative about how poor people live. Keep proving my point for me. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,085,648 times
Quote:

But I know only poor people are frauds and cheats. By the way there isn't much fraud in the food stamp program. The government does attempt to find it and measure it, but I know factual information about actual reported fraud is meaningless to conservatives who just know that there is rampant unseeable fraud.
Where's you source for this information. Prove your point that "there isn't much fraud in the food stamp program."

Go ahead, I'd like to see sources on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies