Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It costs more than $61,000 a year to support the average welfare household. That's more than many working families live on.
You're telling me... I make very little. Less than $15 an hour. I've been told I am better off quitting my job and getting on welfare but I don't want to raise my daughter that way. It is very stressful to live paycheck from paycheck and I don't sleep well at night but I am working toward something better for myself and for her and I know it is temporary. I know success will cross my path someday.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can go to bed at night knowing they have contributed nothing to society but instead just took from it... Wanting nothing out of life but to live off their hardworking peers.

It is a conscious decision more often than not. How can any able-bodied person make the choice to be a leech? That is what boggles my mind. I do not understand it.

One of my co-workers is wheelchair bound and she has 2 jobs!

There is no excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
$800.00 in food stamps for a family of 4, and that still isn't enough?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So much for the ideology that believes in individual free choice and liberty. I guess poor people don't qualify.
No, the idea is that others shouldn't have to pay for your poor choices. You are certainly free to make them.

I have no problems with food stamps but one requirement for any single mother should be the fathers name. Maybe none of the money can be recovered but in many cases we should be able to and all the same, if he ever applies for any government benefits, he shouldn't qualify until he's paid us back.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
When I read the headline I felt bad for the family until I actually read the story:

"Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.
The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.
"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.

"Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon."

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps - Nov. 1, 2013

FOUR people in the household. None of them work. One pregnant woman. One who just had a kid.

As a single mother who worked until the week before my daughter was born and went back to work 2 weeks after a c-section I have no sympathy for these leeches. NONE. I had a very high risk pregnancy and was in and out of the hospital but I took my happy behind to work.

Two years later and I am still working AND going to school to give myself and my daughter a better life. Her father has refused to pay court ordered child support.

$800 for a family of 4?!! I spend about $150 a month for myself and my daughter... And I pay for it with my own money. I don't rely on governments assistance.

Millions of people in this country have no shame sitting back and expecting a handout. It has become a way of life.
When I read these stories, I have to say, I agree with you. The man with a family of 3, who blew through $526 in two weeks the first time he got food stamps? Where are these people shopping? What are they buying? The woman splurges on chicken when it's on sale??? Chicken is not expensive.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So much for the ideology that believes in individual free choice and liberty. I guess poor people don't qualify.
Um, nobody said mandatory tubal ligations.
(It's a whole lot healthier for the mother than the abortion route.)

I don't think embedding families in generation after generation of benefit check slavery is a nice thing to do but that is what we have.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When I read these stories, I have to say, I agree with you. The man with a family of 3, who blew through $526 in two weeks the first time he got food stamps? Where are these people shopping? What are they buying? The woman splurges on chicken when it's on sale??? Chicken is not expensive.
I don't know. Must be buying steaks and lobster!!!?!

I would love to have that much available for groceries every month. Heck, I would be happy with $500 every 2 months!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Anybody but me notice her house? Nice patio furniture, planters, etc? And if you know anything about Spring Hill, Florida.. I'd say she's probably shopping at Publix, living in a very nice "community" in a house she probably couldn't afford to begin with.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You're telling me... I make very little. Less than $15 an hour. I've been told I am better off quitting my job and getting on welfare but I don't want to raise my daughter that way. It is very stressful to live paycheck from paycheck and I don't sleep well at night but I am working toward something better for myself and for her and I know it is temporary. I know success will cross my path someday.

I have always thought you were in the Army..lol

Good for you by the way!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
$800 a month? $200 a week for 4 people? They could eat nicely, considering that with 4 adults and a freezer you can benefit from bulk pricing and meal planning.

Please, please, please lets not have the organic snobs who believe grocery budgeting is inhumane not come in here and start screeching that they don't get enough. THEY DO.

They could subsidize their food budget by trolling the local bars for "HappyHour". Most usually have a free food buffet.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have always thought you were in the Army..lol

Good for you by the way!
I was when I started posting here a few years ago

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies