Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet unemployment went down in Washington and Oregon, which both have seen increases in their minimum wage over these past couple years....so the myth you are using isn't true.
So now there are more jobs because the minimum wage went up? Funny, I thought it was because the economy was turning around, at least that's what liberals say - or is that the reason for a different thread and doesn't fit the spin in this thread? Unemployment in WA couldn't possibly be down because the tech industry is booming, which amazingly enough doesn't pay anywhere near minimum wage.

You can find as many studies showing that min wage increase DO increase unemployment as those that say it doesn't.
Raising the Minimum Wage Also Raises Unemployment

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs - Forbes

Minimum Wage Increase Leads to Higher Teen Unemployment Rate - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
So if federal minimum wage was zero, how much would you pay your minimum wage employees?
It would depend on the job, as it should. I would pay them some amount less than they earn for the business. If their job is to make a widget that sells for $10 and it takes them 1 hour to make it I clearly couldn't afford to pay them $15/hour, or even anywhere near $10 / hour since there are many other costs to running a business.

If the government says I must pay that employee $15 / hour the employee will need to make 2 / hour instead of 1, or I would have to raise my price to $20 / unit, maybe there would be somewhere else I could cut costs, but if there was why wouldn't I have already done that to increase profits? After all I'm an evil business owner who's only goal is to make as much money as possible on the back of the worker, right? Or maybe I'd have to close the doors and the employee would make $0.00 / hour.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So now there are more jobs because the minimum wage went up? Funny, I thought it was because the economy was turning around, at least that's what liberals say - or is that the reason for a different thread and doesn't fit the spin in this thread? Unemployment in WA couldn't possibly be down because the tech industry is booming, which amazingly enough doesn't pay anywhere near minimum wage.

You can find as many studies showing that min wage increase DO increase unemployment as those that say it doesn't.
Raising the Minimum Wage Also Raises Unemployment

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs - Forbes

Minimum Wage Increase Leads to Higher Teen Unemployment Rate - WSJ.com
Many of those jobs created in the Northwest are because of the economy turning around and are above minimum wage, though I am sure many new jobs have been added that are at minimum wage as well, which there is nothing wrong with that.

I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not read those three articles, you just did a quick google search and went with anything that matched.

The first one references a libertarian think tank group that is known for being against minimum wage no matter what. So the first link is discredited. The second two links are from 2009, and what was happening in 2009? Not something I would blame on minimum wage going up.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It would depend on the job, as it should. I would pay them some amount less than they earn for the business. If their job is to make a widget that sells for $10 and it takes them 1 hour to make it I clearly couldn't afford to pay them $15/hour, or even anywhere near $10 / hour since there are many other costs to running a business.

If the government says I must pay that employee $15 / hour the employee will need to make 2 / hour instead of 1, or I would have to raise my price to $20 / unit, maybe there would be somewhere else I could cut costs, but if there was why wouldn't I have already done that to increase profits? After all I'm an evil business owner who's only goal is to make as much money as possible on the back of the worker, right? Or maybe I'd have to close the doors and the employee would make $0.00 / hour.
Well then it sounds like you are running a poorly functioning widget factory.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
So if federal minimum wage was zero, how much would you pay your minimum wage employees?
uhm...have you seen my posts

I don't have min wage employees...even my laborers make better than minimum

forcing a minimum wage is a farse

I pay based on skill and seniority

why do you liberals think one size fits all....why are liberals AGAINST 'pay for performance'

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
How is not paying them a better wage not your fault? That makes no sense.
huh??

did you pass the 5th grade???

I ANSWERED YOUR question

its not my fault the GOVERNMENT sets a level so high

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...have you seen my posts

I don't have min wage employees...even my laborers make better than minimum

forcing a minimum wage is a farse

I pay based on skill and seniority

why do you liberals think one size fits all....why are liberals AGAINST 'pay for performance'
Are you sure? I am doubting you have any employees to begin with because minimum wage hasn't been $5 (technically $5.15) since 2006, it is currently $7.25, so you currently have two employees being illegally paid under minimum wage....but that doesn't answer my question, if there were no minimum wage, what would you pay your fictional employees?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 AM

For minimum wage to be the same as it was in 1968, we would need to set the minimum wage at $10.71.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:04 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
As of December 27th -

A King County judge ruled that the $15/hr minimum wage in the 'city' of SeaTac is only going to affect
about 1,600 workers (mainly hotels and parking lots around the airport).

So just to clarify for everyone that has been reading the last 30 pages of this thread.

There is not going to be a $15/hr minimum wage in the entire city of SeaTac: once again - it only affects about 1,600 workers that are employed in hotels and parking lots.

Judge: SeaTac’s $15 wage floor can’t include airport workers | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
As of December 27th -

A King County judge ruled that the $15/hr minimum wage in the 'city' of SeaTac is only going to affect
about 1,600 workers (mainly hotels and parking lots around the airport).

So just to clarify for everyone that has been reading the last 30 pages of this thread.

There is not going to be a $15/hr minimum wage in the entire city of SeaTac: once again - it only affects about 1,600 workers that are employed in hotels and parking lots.

Judge: SeaTac’s $15 wage floor can’t include airport workers | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times
Hey..making $15/hour to park cars ? I can see people lining up for a job like that.
That's over $30K/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies