Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Teachers should not be allowed to hit students.

But teachers should be allowed to spank them, or smack the backs of the hands with a ruler, etc. as needed.
That is hitting them.
No, it's spanking.

Your confusion over the difference, explains your paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
If your 12 year old daughter came home and told you her male teacher paddled her for "being mouthy"...How many of you would simply tell your daughter..."OK, Don't be disrespectful next time".

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I used to be.

I wouldn't want to issue physical punishment to any students. Maybe to a few of their parents.
I notice that only current or former teachers have answered my question. Which means, I'm going to assume with about 99.99% accuracy, that the pro-corporal punishment posters are not involved in education.

Of course, that means that they will be self-declared experts since they did, at one time, attend school.

I'd like to point out that some of my high school seniors (6'6", biceps larger than most people's thighs) would likely twist most of you spankers into flesh pretzels if you tried to physically punish them. And those are the kids that are no problem.

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
No, it's spanking.

Your confusion over the difference, explains your paranoia.
IF a hand strikes a child's body - that IS hitting them. No matter what your opinion is on the matter OR how you slice it ~ it is what it is.

Deal with it.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
No.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
YES THEY SHOULD!!! Kids these days have absolutely no discipline. The kids are out of hand and extremely disrespectful. They need to be put in their place. If teachers were allowed to discipline their students, maybe our future generation of kids would be less stupid and would be more focused on success rather than social life.

I remember when I was in parochial school and if you got out line. The nuns would whack you over the knuckles with a ruler....OUCH Believe me you wouldn't dare get out of line next time!
I went to private Catholic and later Baptist schools in the 1970s and 1980s and the swat/paddle was commonly used for detractors. Generally used often at the beginning of the school year with new intakes then rarely as students realized this was for real. :Punishment was summary and in class and more egregious violations required action by the principle in front of the parents. Also repeat violations would get the troublemakers transferred to special classes for disciplinary cases. Think Leper Colony as was termed in the film Twelve O'Clock High.-A film often studied in MBA classes to instruct leadership skills.

So the system worked and we had very few cases of lost class learning due to poorly parented kids.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-09-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Yes. Just as soon as I am allowed to go hit the teacher back for my child. The Teacher gets to decide how many whacks my kid needs and I get to decide how many whacks I give the teacher in pay back.
Seriously? NO. Their job is not to beat my child. If my child is a problem tell me and I'll deal with it.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
No, it's spanking.
In what warped world is spanking not hitting?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I notice that only current or former teachers have answered my question. Which means, I'm going to assume with about 99.99% accuracy, that the pro-corporal punishment posters are not involved in education.

Of course, that means that they will be self-declared experts since they did, at one time, attend school.

I'd like to point out that some of my high school seniors (6'6", biceps larger than most people's thighs) would likely twist most of you spankers into flesh pretzels if you tried to physically punish them. And those are the kids that are no problem.

I've noticed that all manner of guys with no educator experience are BIG internet experts on all aspects of schooling.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Absolutely not.

They should be allowed to hit the students parents.
Interestingly I recall an interview with Ted Turner on how he was disciplined as a child. He stated that when he transgressed his father had him(Ted) strike his father. Concept was the father had failed the child in teaching him appropriate conduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies