Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In countries such as Finland where everyone is required to serve, the word "veteran" applies only to those who served during war time. Otherwise everyone would be a "veteran", and the word would have little meaning. In US there are people who were drafted and served in Vietnam, and they are certainly veterans of highest order, since they risked their lives for US. Other than that, in US it makes sense to call all servicemen veterans since they are all volunteers, and volunteering is a selfless act indeed.
Say what?

Conscription in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it might be popular to call ALL who have served veterans in many countries, most countries other than U.S. reserve that title on a personal level to only those who've served in an actual theater of war.

The words veteran and heroes have both been cheapened significantly by calling everyone who ever spit shined his boots a veteran and anyone who completed a pass for the winning touchdown a hero. Childish stuff that serves only to denigrate the authentic articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was wondering if there was always a military draft and all American citizens were obligated to serve in the military (except if they were physically disabled or something), would the American people still be thanking military veterans for their service so enthusiastically? I definitely appreciate anyone who has served in the military but I think people that enlist voluntarily are more selfless than ones who do it out of legal obligation.
Those that enlist of their own free will are mercenaries/hired killers for their corporate overlords.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes. I know. I mention Vietnam, because that is the most recent time.

Sure, but in countries like Finland only war veterans are referred to as veterans, and the reason is the simple fact that everyone serves in the peacetime military, and it would make no sense to call everyone a veteran. The bolded part is pretty much what I was talking about (as far as those countries are concerned). In US everyone who served are veterans, and I think it is appropriate since they are volunteers and serve much longer times that the people in places like Finland, so even at peacetime it is a much bigger contribution.
Well in Israel where there is a military draft for men as well as women, everyone who has served in the military is referred to as a veteran. But nobody thanks them unless there have been killed or injured in the line of duty.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Those that enlist of their own free will are mercenaries/hired killers for their corporate overlords.
And there it is again. It's rather ironic that those who cling to the above sentiment and spout-off about it are usually those who never served in the military. By the way, those who did serve should thank them for not having done so. I do. As a former Infantry officer they were the last people I would have wished to train, lead in combat and trust my life to, and the lives of others in my command.

Many of us who returned to the states in the 60s and 70s used to joke about what we could put down on our resumes. Somehow, "highly trained professional killer" didn't seem likely to get us jobs in civilian life. But there was a bit of a bitter edge to our gallows humor. We were more aware than most of what we'd done and it affected all of us in one way and to one extent or another.

What we could say is that we were highly experienced in planning and the successful application of those plans, leadership, loyalty, teamwork, dealing with and excelling under trying circumstances, problem solving, etc.. Having been in the minority nationally, we were highly qualified for many positions; much more so than most our ages.

For the record, Ted, I'm one that did enlist of my own free will and I have never regretted having done so. I will also say that I enjoy the company of others with much the same background and experience far more than I would people like you. If nothing else, we all had the conviction and courage of our belief in our country and right, wrong or indifferent, the willingness to back it up with our lives.

In the end, draftees are every bit as much as entitled to recognition and thanks as are enlistees. While they didn't have a choice, most served just as bravely and honorably as any and were dedicated to making the most of their time and doing so to the best of their abilities.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
It's rather ironic that those who cling to the above sentiment and spout-off about it are usually those who never served in the military.
Back in 1957-1960 when I served (Enlisted), we called them draft dodgers.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Check this out:

Don't Thank Me for My Service

I think that a lot of Veterans don't like to be thanked for their service. I know I am one of them...
Um, okay? I thank veterans for their service.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Back in 1957-1960 when I served (Enlisted), we called them draft dodgers.
Well, I don't think everyone who didn't serve was a draft dodger. I tried to enlist in the military, but couldn't serve because of a medical condition.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
How many other government employees do you routinely thank for their service? I don't get this special treatment that some veterans think that they are entitled to or the jingoistic fetish that some Americans have for people that served in the military.

Statistically speaking the government employees most likely to be injured or killed while performing their duties are truck drivers but I don't see many people falling over themselves to thank them for their service. In fact many of the same people that go out of their way to support the troops are more than willing to talk trash about and cut wages and benefits for other less favored government workers that are actually more likely to get hurt serving their country in ways that the average person actually notices on a daily basis.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
How many other government employees do you routinely thank for their service? I don't get this special treatment that some veterans think that they are entitled to or the jingoistic fetish that some Americans have for people that served in the military.

Statistically speaking the government employees most likely to be injured or killed while performing their duties are truck drivers but I don't see many people falling over themselves to thank them for their service. In fact many of the same people that go out of their way to support the troops are more than willing to talk trash about and cut wages and benefits for other less favored government workers that are actually more likely to get hurt serving their country in ways that the average person actually notices on a daily basis.
So are you equating mailmen, city garbage collectors, etc with serving in the military?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

I think that a lot of Veterans don't like to be thanked for their service. I know I am one of them...

Me too.

Semper Fi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies