Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there was always a military draft and all American citizens were obligated to serve in the military (except if they were physically disabled or something), would the American people still be thanking military veterans for their service so enthusiastically? I definitely appreciate anyone who has served in the military but I think people that enlist voluntarily are more selfless than ones who do it out of legal obligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was wondering if there was always a military draft and all American citizens were obligated to serve in the military (except if they were physically disabled or something), would the American people still be thanking military veterans for their service so enthusiastically? I definitely appreciate anyone who has served in the military but I think people that enlist voluntarily are more selfless than ones who do it out of legal obligation.
In countries such as Finland where everyone is required to serve, the word "veteran" applies only to those who served during war time. Otherwise everyone would be a "veteran", and the word would have little meaning. In US there are people who were drafted and served in Vietnam, and they are certainly veterans of highest order, since they risked their lives for US. Other than that, in US it makes sense to call all servicemen veterans since they are all volunteers, and volunteering is a selfless act indeed.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I thank every member that served, regardless of if they were conscripted or voluntarily.

You shouldn't thank a veteran for your freedom, for our country, or anything like that. They served their country. That's enough to thank them for.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
I thought it was all that served were veterans, those that served during war were veterans of foreign war..VFW.

Whether one serves through draft or voluntary induction, make their honorable service any less worthy.

My 3 uncles[brothers] were drafted during WWII, one did not come home; They are not any less worthy than those that volunteered. My grandmother lost her son...all the same.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I thank every member that served, regardless of if they were conscripted or voluntarily.

You shouldn't thank a veteran for your freedom, for our country, or anything like that. They served their country. That's enough to thank them for.
I agree. The veterans are helping to keep that freedom but they didn't give it to the current citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I thought it was all that served were veterans, those that served during war were veterans of foreign war..VFW.

Whether one serves through draft or voluntary induction, make their honorable service any less worthy.

My 3 uncles[brothers] were drafted during WWII, one did not come home; They are not any less worthy than those that volunteered. My grandmother lost her son...all the same.

My 3 great-uncles (brothers) served during WWII and one did not come home; and my great-grandmother lost her son as well.

I too agree that military service is honorable no matter how one entered the military.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Check this out:

Don't Thank Me for My Service

I think that a lot of Veterans don't like to be thanked for their service. I know I am one of them...

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In countries such as Finland where everyone is required to serve, the word "veteran" applies only to those who served during war time. Otherwise everyone would be a "veteran", and the word would have little meaning. In US there are people who were drafted and served in Vietnam, and they are certainly veterans of highest order, since they risked their lives for US. Other than that, in US it makes sense to call all servicemen veterans since they are all volunteers, and volunteering is a selfless act indeed.
The Vietnam War is not the only time that there was a military draft in the USA.
Conscription in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word "veteran" does all apply to all who served in the military of other countries. But I think only those who served during war time in a combat role are actually thanked and remembered by the general population.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Vietnam War is not the only time that there was a military draft in the USA.
Conscription in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes. I know. I mention Vietnam, because that is the most recent time.

Quote:
The word "veteran" does all apply to all who served in the military of other countries. But I think only those who served during war time in a combat role are actually thanked and remembered by the general population.
Sure, but in countries like Finland only war veterans are referred to as veterans, and the reason is the simple fact that everyone serves in the peacetime military, and it would make no sense to call everyone a veteran. The bolded part is pretty much what I was talking about (as far as those countries are concerned). In US everyone who served are veterans, and I think it is appropriate since they are volunteers and serve much longer times that the people in places like Finland, so even at peacetime it is a much bigger contribution.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-12-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Check this out:

I think that a lot of Veterans don't like to be thanked for their service. I know I am one of them...
My husband doesn't like all the over-the-top stuff and would rather just continue to quietly go about his business, he's just that kind of person, but he'd be the first to tell you better that than what happened during Vietnam. I also think this guy's sentiment isn't very common, but that of course doesn't mean he doesn't have company. Veterans, whether voluntary or not, have had a chunk of their lives where your protection was put before their well being. For some it came at tremendous cost, whether physical or emotional. We should be grateful.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Check this out:

Sheesh....the self hating veteran makes another appearance. No one forced you to enlist. The draft ended in 1973. I really loathe those that opt to enlist in any branch of service, and take full advantage of the benefits offered (tuition assistance while in, GI Bill once separated, VA loans, etc.), but then endlessly complain about the same. Don't get me wrong, you are fully entitled to any opinions you may have, but it is sort of like what people where I grew up said about the agriculture industry. If you want to complain about farmers, don't talk with your mouth full.

Most people would not know that you are a veteran, and subsequently would not thank you for service, if you didn't make that fact known. Aside from family and friends that know you've served, the only way others would know is if you told them, or made it apparent by displaying "I love me" stuff in the work place, etc. If you don't want to be thanked for your service, then don't make a big deal about having served. Period. Just that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies