Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now. Why are the hardcore dems, saying my plan is junk?

Because what is good for you, is less important than what is good for society as a whole now. Or at least, what liberals think is good for society.

"We are fundamentally transforming the United States of America." - Barack Obama

Now you know what he meant.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
duplicate thread, but I guess when there are thousands on The ACA and you are running out of material, this is bound to happen.
First one I've started, but there are thousands of possible topics about the ACA.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now. Why are the hardcore dems, saying my plan is junk?

Because what is good for you, is less important than what is good for society as a whole now. Or at least, what liberals think is good for society.

"We are fundamentally transforming the United States of America." - Barack Obama

Now you know what he meant.

But our fundamentals, are base and held within the US Constitution.
What is he saying?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But our fundamentals, are base and held within the US Constitution.
What is he saying?
Exactly what you think. Liberals are no longer "restricted" by the Constitution.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even the Kaiser calculator switched over to showing you the Silver plan now.
Before the details started coming out the Kaiser calculator showed you the Bronze plan and how good it was.

Some Dems have changed their tune though about these "junk plans".

They were only "junk" because they said so because you lost your plan.

With an aging population why maternity/pediatric services are deemed ESSENTIAL is beyond me.
To be expect when your looking at one size fits all in mandates. There are even mandates put in to attract certain groups. When that plan has to cover a person with long term expensive healthcare within a group the limit has to be unlimted and others pay for that expensive coverage. That is what the subsidities are; paying for those who have long term pre-existing conditions thru spreading the cost to others.Often they get better terms than healthy would otherwise in subsidities as they are not paying even paying same cost for same plan as higher income healthy people.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Exactly what you think. Liberals are no longer "restricted" by the Constitution.

Would that be liberal democrats and republicans?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
It is interesting.

Are costs actually going up? Where is the money going? Are we paying Doctors and Hospitals a great deal more?

It is clear that the insurance companies have been squeezed by the 80% payout. They have laid off and reduced the salaries of large groups of front end employees.

It appears clear that the young and well off will have to pick up insurance or pay the penalty which likely increases cost for that group.

And there are groups that do much better. Those who are approaching retirement and those with pre-existing conditions for sure.

But overall is this not a zero sum game? Well perhaps not zero but up 5% for the rising cost of health services? This talk of large increases just does not compute. Where is the money going? There is no significant increase in Doctors or Hospitals and the insurance companies have a pretty tight limit.

So I would expect for every loser there is an offsetting winner. We are restructuring the health care system but we are not increasing its cost out of the normal growth...and some parts of the ACA may limit that growth.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Health insurance does not equal health care.

Hmm, it seems you miss the point of a exchange. So the way I see it (working for an insurance company) is that companies setup a series of plans. . .and compete on an exchange. They try to hit different price points. . .

The plans, chosen by insurance companies, may have different networks. You can have a tier system (1,2,3). A insurance company may go with a cheaper network on the plan to hit a certain price point. . .for customers

Customers can then chose that plan/network based on price

I don't really see it as "hospitals opting out"

Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Because the welfare sinks have kids to collect more welfare. They are the base of the Democratic Party.
FYI, people on welfare can get Medicaid so they would not participate in Obamacare nor would they buy anything on the exchanges. Also FYI, Medicaid has been around for a LONG time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The plan we had for the last 11 years and several procedures, hernia, septic colon, broken leg, stitches, colds, flu....

I would not call it junk. It was what we could afford and it worked for us.
Now, as of Dec. 31st, we have to pick a Bronze-Platinum plan.
The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now. The Silver plan is comparable in premium cost but co-pay and deductibles, with out of pocket, are double what we have now. The Gold plan is about what we have, but to get that same coverage and other aspects, is 50% more cost in premiums. No way I could ever afford the Platinum deal.

The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now.

Keep sounding off those talking points that make this seem trivial. It places the blame squarely where it belongs.
On a bill that had to be passed before you know what's in it............. Geee!!! Thanks, idiots
What is the difference between the Bronze plan and your current plan? Do you have a breakdown of benefits to compare the two of them? Or do you just think it is "junk" because you have to pay more for a Gold plan. Also, did you factor in the reduced cost for preventative care? Under Bronze you don't have to pay for preventative doctor visits so if you are relatively healthy you would save money and wouldn't be paying for stuff you don't use anyway.

FWIW, it seems many of your are complaining without even knowing what is in the plans or knowing how they compare to your previous plans. I actually do have issues with Obamacare, mine actually have to do with me, as a 30+ year old having access to more of a "junk" sort of plan, basically an HSA sort of account that will cover me if I hit $5-$10K. I hardly ever go to the doctor and would rather just have a catastrophic plan and I'd be willing to pay premiums (less than $50 a month hopefully) in order to spread my little bit of wealth around, but I am denied the opportunity to buy a catastrophic "junk" plan such as described above. FWIW, I have always been denied from purchasing a similar plan due to me having asthma and it being a pre-existing condition even though I do not have any perscriptions for it and have had maybe 3 asthma episodes in the past 18 years. None of which required anything but rest and a couple puffs from a rescue inhaler.

But from what I have seen the Bronze-Gold coverage is pretty good and I know that many private plans did not include a lot of things that people think that they did and most people will probably be satisfied with the new exchange choices for Bronze. When I hear the complains, especially vague complaints, and if you are someone who rarely goes to the doctor, I wonder - (1) why are you complaining when you rarely go to the doctor about coverage you are not going to lose on a comparable "Gold" type of plan and (2) what exactly is in/not in you plan that you think is in/not in the new exchange plans? Most people don't even know how to find out what is in their current health insurance or how health insurance networks are run or were run previously (like "death panels" and such as if health insurance companies already didn't have people decide whether or not to allow you to have a procedure or coverage for a certain condition). People are very ignorant about health insurance unfortunately, case in point the quote above in regards to people on welfare.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Meanwhile, those of us who are actually affected, who buy our insurance in the individual market, we have been learning the true meaning of junk. It isn't the fine policies we had, issued by the premier carriers in our states, the best policies money could buy, the ones that could not be cancelled for claims history, the ones with great reputations among providors....

The junk is the comparably-priced ObamaJunk policies like my new one: It will pay only $3,750 on a $10,000 claim. Junk? I never heard of 50% coinsurance before Obamajunk got ahold of me.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies