Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times

Advertisements

The ACA has to go forward because the alternative is so much worse ... The New Republicanism.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Must have missed that Q. I am not for duplicating medical infrastructure by having government run clinics and doctors on the government's payroll.

What I do think we should do is emulate the single payer insurance plan that works everywhere else. Medicare for all is my solution.
Medicare for all is not the worst idea. We're trying to get the worst idea to work right now. Hopefully after that gets discarded we can start in on your idea, or somebody else's, that will actually get care to everyone and control costs. Of course, Medicare needs quite a bit of cleaning up before it gets expanded.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Medicare for all is not the worst idea. We're trying to get the worst idea to work right now. Hopefully after that gets discarded we can start in on your idea, or somebody else's, that will actually get care to everyone and control costs. Of course, Medicare needs quite a bit of cleaning up before it gets expanded.
It's close to the worst idea. The reason health care costs have ballooned is precisely because of government interference vis-a-vis programs like Medicare.

If you want to hasten the demise of the country by bankrupting it a little quicker, then yeah - go ahead and give Medicare to everyone.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM

577 posts, read 436,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It hasn't happened yet because the employer mandate was delayed.

The point is, the '80% unaffected' is hogwash because changes for that 80% aren't effective yet.

When you stop using the 80% bull, perhaps others will stop pointing out the law doesn't affect them yet.
Right now, 80% are unaffected.. and 80% will remain unaffected. their insurer will have to buy healthcare if they are over 50 employees big. Period.....

If employers make them contribute more of their paycheck , it's on them.

Obamacare was meant to SLOW the growht of health insurance cost over the long haul. It isn't a magic pill that will suddenly stop incresaes from occurring.

Guess what, employers were increasing premium contirbutions by employers LONG BEFORE Obamacare came to be. THey were also cutting off insuring employee families and many were insuring only the employee because of the cost.

Part of the reason why our pay has gone in REVERSE is because those "increases" were added on the benefits end with the double digit rise in the price on insurance companies.

Right now, we know that 80% are unaffected.Period. What you have said, again, is conjecture with no proof it will even occurr as you "predict" ..

Come back to tell me "I told you so" when it actually happens.. IF it even does.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Right now, 80% are unaffected.. and 80% will remain unaffected. their insurer will have to buy healthcare if they are over 50 employees big. Period.....

Obamacare was meant to SLOW the growht of health insurance cost over the long haul. It isn't a magic pill that will suddenly stop incresaes from occurring.

Guess what, employers were increasing premium contirbutions by employers LONG BEFORE Obamacare came to be. THey were also cutting off insuring employee families and many were insuring only the employee because of the cost.

Part of the reason why our pay has gone in REVERSE is because those "increases" were added on the benefits end with the double digit rise in the price on insurance companies.

Right now, we know that 80% are unaffected.Period. What you have said, again, is conjecture with no proof it will even occurr as you "predict" ..

Come back to tell me "I told you so" when it actually happens.. IF it even does.
I guess you are pretty clueless or think the glass is always full.

Big corps are already starting to unload many lower salary workers to the exchanges.

The individual market is just getting hit now.

Let me guess? You are one of the winners? Over age 50? Or have pre existing condition? Or qualify for medicaid or subsides?

Trust me. This time it's not the top 5% income tax bracket paying more. It's more like top 20-25% bracket.

Obama won by 5 million votes. Not much more than 4 million bush 43 won by in 2004.

Votes will shift quickly when the middle class are or will get hit with paying full price.

And it's not 80% unaffected. It's much less unaffected.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I guess you are pretty clueless or think the glass is always full.

Big corps are already starting to unload many lower salary workers to the exchanges.

The individual market is just getting hit now.

Let me guess? You are one of the winners? Over age 50? Or have pre existing condition? Or qualify for medicaid or subsides?

Trust me. This time it's not the top 5% income tax bracket paying more. It's more like top 20-25% bracket.

Obama won by 5 million votes. Not much more than 4 million bush 43 won by in 2004.

Votes will shift quickly when the middle class are or will get hit with paying full price.

And it's not 80% unaffected. It's much less unaffected.
Actually the MA experience was that the number with employer insurance increased substantially with Romneycare. This might be different but I don't see why off hand.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:

Only to a true believer is it sensible to count people the law doesn't yet apply to in the # who have already been negatively affected. The sensible and fair thing is to look at the bad impact for people who the law Now applies to.

When employers start increasing copays, coinsurance, deductibles, etc., it'll be ok with you because 'it's on the employer,' you can blame employers, the heck with the negative impact on workers.

Employers won't have to implement Ocare. They can choose the penalty.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Who picks up the $2,000 deductible on the poor folk who cannot afford ?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Who picks up the $2,000 deductible on the poor folk who cannot afford ?
They get payment assistance on silver plans, as I understand. Here's a story on it if you can make any sense of it:

In Addition To Premium Credits, Health Law Offers Some Consumers Help Paying Deductibles And Co-Pays - Kaiser Health News

Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:

No it wasn't. Obamacare does not deal with cost.

Obamacare is subsidized health insurance with all caps/restrictions removed..plain and simple.
Obamacare deals with insurance, not cost of services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies