Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times

Advertisements

Politicians lie.
Statesmen tell the hurtful truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
He wouldn't have lied, but then again there is a disingenuousness about being absolutely truthful.
Orwell quote?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Politicians lie.
Statesmen tell the hurtful truth.
Statesmen is a variation of a politician. Therefore, politicians lie.

Either you willingly choose to remain ignorant of this fact or Ron Paul has you hanging on his every word with bated breath.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,231,655 times
The answer to the orig. post is yes, I dont see them as lies, promises, when they dont come true are not lies( see those pictures of you on Santa's lap

Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,755,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The problem with your argument is that I was arguing body count, if you want to make a larger argument, that is fine, but in the realm of this conversation, i was specifically talking about body count and the lives of our soldiers. So that communication error is solved.

Also, you are one of the few people on this forum who seems to realize there is a difference between Liberals and Progressives, sadly, you still dont seem to know the difference because I have yet to meet a pro drone progressive.

I honestly dont understand your comment , are you saying we should wait for them to attack us first ????

i have also never seen the CIA say that the reason al-Queda wants to get even is because of Drones, Al-queda existed and carried out plots long before we started droning them, at best it is a contributing factor that we can now get to them, but that has to do with getting to them, not the method to which we do it.

if you are planning attacks on U.S. Bases around the world then you are indeed threatening us.

I also never once said it was "just drone strikes" and have yet to meet anyone who did. Lets stop with the generalizations, because it is distorting your argument.

you keep using that word cowardly as if it some how strengthens your argument. Do you not see it as cowardly to invade a country and kill 1% of its population, civilians who had nothing to do with what happened ????

you are saying it is somehow more cowardly to kill 5 people with a drone than drop a bomb on an entire building from 5,000 feet or shoot a missile from a ship 2 miles away that kills 1,000 on one strike.

This is probably the biggest flaw in the drone argument, there are other long range weapons that this government use that do far more collateral damage and you dont mention it at all, to me, it would seem you would be more pissed about the other 2 scenarios i mentioned.

Ugh, i dont know Greenwald enough to say he is a liberal, but his views do not influence mine. Know one ever said all people of a specific political ideology ever had to agree with one another on everything.

as for my last comment you responded to , me calling you stupid was a little harsh, but what you wrote did come off a little ditzy.
- Agreed, if body count is your only criteria, then drones kill less people. Looking at foreign policy like an accountant isn't very pragmatic though.

- I have yet to meet a Progressive who's not in favor of drone strikes, as long as Obama is doing them. When it's the next NeoCon pulling the trigger they'll be against them of course.

- I'm saying the reason they attack us, is because we're in their countries attacking them. It's chicken or the egg, except in this case we know which came first & it was us attacking them in their countries. That's what the CIA & Osama Bin Laden both said after 9/11. What the CIA termed "Blowback". It was a reaction to us building permanent military bases in Saudi Arabia, killing all those civilians in Iraq via sanctions & number of other aggressions against Muslims in their own countries.

From Wikipedia...
"In bin Laden's November 2002 "Letter to America", he explicitly stated that al-Qaeda's motives for their attacks include: Western support for attacking Muslims in Somalia, supporting Russian atrocities against Muslims in Chechnya, supporting the India oppression against Muslims in Kashmir, the Jewish aggression against Muslims in Lebanon, the presence of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia, U.S. support of Israel and sanctions against Iraq."

- Think about your logic. If we go to a country, attack them, build a base on their land & they resist then they're threatening us? That sounds liek it's right out of Bush's cowboy handbook on politics.

- Greenwald is definitely a Liberal!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. President Obama signed an executive order to close gitmo in the first few days of his presidency, Since the president actually has no control over the facility what so ever, He has to get congress to close it and they have refused to do so.
Congress gave him the power to close it.

President Obama can shut Guantanamo whenever he wants to.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

Has he ever spoken? Then he's probably lied.

Politicians lie. You're not escaping this.
People have sex with animals. adiosToreador then has had sex with animals.

We will note, you don't seem to be able to find an example or you would have.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People have sex with animals. adiosToreador then has had sex with animals.
Let me pick this apart even though it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Human beings are mammals. We belong to the Animal Kingdom. Henceforth, we are animals. So yes, people do have sex with animals. Your logic is sound if a little confusing.

adiosToreador (that's me) does not have sex with animals because adiosToreador is still a virgin at 26 years of age. Understood?

Your statement had merit, but fell short. Try again.

Quote:
We will note, you don't seem to be able to find an example or you would have.
I don't need to provide an example because Ron Paul is a politician (or statesmen or whatever, he's a politician). Politicians lie.

Therefore, whenever he's up at the podium he might sound like he's telling the truth and he very well may be at certain times; however, to claim that he *always* tells the truth as a politician and has never lied is just full on zealotry and willful ignorance.

Politicians lie.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
When the forefathers wrote the constitution, they specifically had in mind the Republican party platform as of 2013. Anything else would be absolutely not upholding the constitution.
you mean like approving of indefinite detention and members of rand paul's own party criticizing him when he was the only one with the balls to filibuster in an attempt to warn the american public of the government's excesses.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,871,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One thing about Ron Paul. You got the truth, no matter how hard it was to swallow.
Really? So you think him paying all his family members from campaign funds is the truth? You have an unclear view of Ron Paul. While one wishes there were honest politicians, he is yet just another one, like all the others....

by the he has more family on the payroll, 6 and any other member of Congress and paid a total of $304,000 to them. If you are missing the point, this is a way for him to siphon funds off.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50157523n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies