Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,225 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised Muslim and I've never felt like blowing anything up... Contrary to popular belief it's not ingrained in our DNA :P Though I did go watch when they imploded the power plant in my old neighborhood...

True story, made friends with a girl in graduate school, and one day she found out I was Muslim. She was surprised but didn't say anything, I could see the surprise on her face.

A short time later she told me that she always thought of Muslims as bad people, but now, knowing me and my family she realizes how wrong and bigoted she had been. I thanked her and said I'm glad to have at least changed one person's mind. If one Muslim can change at least one person's mind then we will better as a society.

As it is, I think most people know that not ALL Muslims are bad people, just like all blacks and hispanics aren't criminals (another racist example). If all Muslims were hell bent on destruction, well, 1 billion terrorists would make the world a very different place don't you think?

Funny thing, my friend went to a Bible study and someone tried to start up a conversation about "evil Muslims" and my friend put this person in her place Made me feel good inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Cool update: Muslim benefactor will match contributions to Mormon Church's typhoon relief.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,783 times
I used to think any religious person had similar value /beliefs no matter what they called their God. I just didn't know. When some one wants to kill me because of MY religion I certainly would not turn my back on them.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM

693 posts, read 1,140,385 times
Volunteer to serve your country and learn first hand why.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I used to think any religious person had similar value /beliefs no matter what they called their God. I just didn't know. When some one wants to kill me because of MY religion I certainly would not turn my back on them.
Me either! But not EVERYONE thinks that way, and not only one religion uses/used religion for persecution. Islam has become a scapegoat or blame all.

When 9/11 happened my sister and Muslim friends were persecuted. Friends had their homes broken into and things like "get out of this country" graffitied on their walls.

My sister was told "go back to your country" and harassed in school, um, America IS her country, she was born in the US. At least those kids were expelled from the school district...

They had nothing to do with terrorism and neither do I.

The few should not define the many.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

643 posts, read 919,235 times
The majority of the hatred towards muslims is from the evangelical christian far right, who are simply the most ignorant people in the world.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
The majority of the hatred towards muslims is from the evangelical christian far right, who are simply the most ignorant people in the world.
I certainly would not argue THAT point. Problem is how do you tell the good guys from the bad guys?

Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM

410 posts, read 398,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Me either! But not EVERYONE thinks that way, and not only one religion uses/used religion for persecution. Islam has become a scapegoat or blame all.

When 9/11 happened my sister and Muslim friends were persecuted. Friends had their homes broken into and things like "get out of this country" graffitied on their walls.

My sister was told "go back to your country" and harassed in school, um, America IS her country, she was born in the US. At least those kids were expelled from the school district...

They had nothing to do with terrorism and neither do I.

The few should not define the many.
I emphatically agree that decent Muslims shouldn't be defined by the vile actions of other Muslims.
And I also agree that most Muslims in the U.S are moderate.

However, I respectfully disagree that "Islam has become a scapegoat .."
It is incontrovertible that Islam has a strain of violence which no other religion exhibits today.
The concept of "Jihad", "Fatwas", "Shiite-Sunni" conflict have a firm root in Islam and is responsible for killing thousands of people each year.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM

144 posts, read 185,102 times
US propaganda. Our religion is most peaceful [Christian]. So in order to prove that, we're gonna bash on your religion and all others who disagree. SHUN THE NONBELIEVERS! *jk peeps* It's funny bc of all the friends I've had in my life, my Muslim and nonreligious friends were always the kindest most accepting. Also, the most peaceful. Once I got to know the local rich Catholic schoolboys(when I was in high school), I was amazed at how lewd they talked and how many of them mistreated their girlfriends and showed nothing but pride about it!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM

643 posts, read 919,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I certainly would not argue THAT point. Problem is how do you tell the good guys from the bad guys?
what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies