Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
For start they oppress women still. Let women be free, and that will have a major impact on how others view the Muslim religion.
I think you're right..and it would be a MAJOR MAJOR impact on how others view them...Sadly we all know that's something that'll more than likely never happen...and if it did, it would take generations to become meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Muslims like to blow up innocent folks, bomb jets, buildings etc. That might be one reason they think Muslims are bad. I don't see Christians or Hindus or Mormons doing this.
Maybe you should pay more attention then. Terrorism is not exclusively Muslim. Christians have done it in the past. The crusades come to mind. The bombing of an abortion clinic. I honestly consider the religious right (who are Christian) trying to remove evolution from schools to be a form of intellectual terrorism.

Point is, we've alienated Islam in this country, a "free" country (it's hilariously untrue). Bush, who loved to rely on 'God bless America' more or less declared holy war on Islam. Rather or not this spell of racism was his intent (and I don't really believe it was), this is what happened.

The reality is that fundamental Islam is no more destructive than any other religion. Just as most Christians do not agree with the extremists of their religion, most Muslims do not agree with their extremists either.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
The majority of the hatred towards muslims is from the evangelical christian far right, who are simply the most ignorant people in the world.
Good point, and it's not just Muslims the christian right seems to hate, I've also seen some pretty serious fliers and even slickly produced dvd's, all ragging on either mormons, catholics, muslims, or jews (and even yoga teachers…lol!), always accusing them of being "false" or even "satanic"!!

Because when you're that rigidly dogmatic and ideologically-driven (and continually proselytizing)… then every other culture or faith must be constantly demonized as the "competition"!

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False..._christian.htm

Last edited by mateo45; 11-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: link...

Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I certainly would not argue THAT point. Problem is how do you tell the good guys from the bad guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
what?
What do you mean What? The post I was quoting (you post) is right there with my post you quoted.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Some of us were alive and remember the airline hijacking and cruise ship hijacking of the 70s & 80s, the World Trade Center bombing in 1993, the Beruit Marine barracks bombing in the 80s, the Locherbie bombing, beheading of hostages (Pakistan, African countries, and Philippines), bombings in India, Russian movie theater bombing, Russian school children sit in the back before the school was blown up, British buses bombed, Spanish train bombed, British soldier hit with a car before being nearly decapitated in the street, and many many other examples of terrorist attacks by muslims in the name of Islam are why some of us don't trust muslims. Make a cartoon, book, or movie that might be insulting to Islam and you may get executed by a Muslim in the street. Don't believe it? It's already happened.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Also, there have been muslims in this country who have offered to serve terrorist organizations or committed attacks. Remember the Muslim soldier who threw grenades into his officers' tent, the DC Sniper, Army officer shooter at Fort Hood, Jose Padilla (a Muslim convert), John "American Taliban" Walker, the Muslim doctor and martial artist who tried to join Al Qaeda, and the Boston Marathon bombers.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 PM

373 posts, read 589,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Then you need to open your eyes.
Eyes are wide open. 20/20 vision. Only Moslems like to blow up people.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Someone commented that they didn't see Muslims killing maiming and bombing. Me thinks this poster is not quite up on current events. There are conflicts going on in several Muslim countries right now. Egypt, Libya, Syria and Iraq all are nations with serious conflicts. This region has been a hot bed of violence for some time. Algeria had a serious conflict several years ago. Remember that Iraq invaded its smaller neighbor, Kuwait back 20 years ago and was killing and abusing its citizens. Remember the Iran/Iraq war. Even Jordans had bombings, and that doesn't include the bombings of the USS Cole, the Embassy in Kenya, the ongoing conflicts in Sudan. Sorry, but in my book, there is lots of conflict between Muslims.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
For example:
Afghanistan plans stoning adulterers to death - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

And then we might read again about girls who became raped yet still become stoned to death or getting lashed.

There is no much in the news about peaceful and open minded muslims who would let their girls to choose freely what they wear and who they are willing to date but rather news where family members kill their daughters because of adding western lifestyle (if immigrant).

Believing lashing and stoned to death punishments, supporting them etc. tells me those people are bad. In my book they are as everyone else who is violent person like that.

I think if there would be more news about peaceful muslims which does NOT support violence and killing, people would not think so easily that "every muslim is bad and believes the same".

Why these lasher - stoned to death muslims don't think they are bad people? Why they think they are above girls and women and free to controll them by incredible cruel violence? No car driving, no job, no education, no human value...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies