Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Many families have already run out of things to cut from the budget.
And how do you know that ?

Cable companies haven't shut down.
Weekend movie premiers are still raking in tens of millions.
Sony and Microsoft are sold out of their new consoles less than 24 hours into their debut.

Black Friday starts today at 6pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My wife is in the process of trying to sell her flowershop business.
During recessions(2001 & 2007-2010) it takes a big hit and I have to finance it through my other businesses.

I have retooled my business to a specific market(high end) and not trying to get everyone to bite, by working off low price & volume.
I learned that during recessions, my business drops in specific markets but stays steady in the highend market place.
This is 2013 (nearly over). When did that recession you mentioned, 2007-2010, end? I must have missed it. I haven't seen any improvements.

The rest of your post makes perfect sense to me. That's because people who are in the high end markets have prepaired, and are not affected as much by recessions. So, they continue their activites nearly normally.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Don't tell anyone, especially on here, but next month I am re-tooling to do business with the evil oil companies exclusively.. That's our secret though, OK?
I see a Haliburton sign down the road from us, where there has been a new well drilled this last summer. We are seeing a lot of fracking going on in our area, and I hope to cash in myself before to long (we have 11 acres to lease). We signed a lease last spring, but that company turned out to be a flake, and the lease expired after six months with no driller signed. So, we didn't get our bonus money ($35,000). Since then, the bonus payments have risen, so we will be better off when/if leasing activity starts up again. BP says they are planing to "ramp up" again in 2014.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is 2013 (nearly over). When did that recession you mentioned, 2007-2010, end? I must have missed it. I haven't seen any improvements.

The rest of your post makes perfect sense to me. That's because people who are in the high end markets have prepaired, and are not affected as much by recessions. So, they continue their activites nearly normally.
Recessions hit those in debt worse.
Wealth on paper disappears and credit is harder to get.

There is good debt and bad debt.
Most Americans are hooked on bad debt (HELOC/CC)

Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What gets me is the American people have been so dumbed down they'd elect Obama for a third term if they could.

So that is what passes for education in America today? Wow, just wow.
Thank the Lord for term limits....

I think you're right. Stupidity rules these days. We have a generation that cannot think for itself electing our officials now. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about that. Who they elect next could be worse than obummer. It will not be pretty but they will never admit to being wrong. They will just keep on blaming Bush for the next hundred years...

Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Health care spending rose 13.2% annually from 1999 to 2008 when Bush was President during most of those years. Anybody who actually pays for health insurance knows how much their premiums increased during this period. Most people have premiums paid by employers. Health spending can easily be lowered by raising deductibles or just not going to the doctor for every little thing.

Some people would be complaining if health care spending was reduced because that would cause a recession. This is just more right wing disinformation. Hey if your toilet doesn't flush today or if your Turkey is dry blame it on Obama and the ACA.
All the healthcare bill does is transfer more cost thru subsidy and higher cost to people in middle class and above. Of course if your getting subsidized you love the low cost which is false.Then of course people haven't been hit by device tax;state increases in medicaid by huge increase it rolls;excise tax on some plans. In the end unlike normal pools it spreads the cost not the risk by charging some more for the same coverage.Just anther wealth sharing program that has brought us to where we are since started in the Mid60's.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I see a Haliburton sign down the road from us, where there has been a new well drilled this last summer. We are seeing a lot of fracking going on in our area, and I hope to cash in myself before to long (we have 11 acres to lease). We signed a lease last spring, but that company turned out to be a flake, and the lease expired after six months with no driller signed. So, we didn't get our bonus money ($35,000). Since then, the bonus payments have risen, so we will be better off when/if leasing activity starts up again. BP says they are planing to "ramp up" again in 2014.
Northeast Ohio is a good place to be if you want to be a part of the fracking boom. Northeast Pennsylvania is going absolutely crazy with activity, and northern West Virginia has a lot going on, too.

Good luck with that - I hope you rake in the bucks.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
We had a "company guy" out in our area scouting properties for test wells in August.
This area is one of the few left the oil companies haven't drilled on.

My property has leases going back to 1945 but made sure each and every one of them expired with no future commitment before I closed on the place via an attorney.

You bet I'll sign up and cash in myself.

Be careful of the fracking and follow it closely. I just bought 2 donkeys from a couple that had a beautiful place but all their water dried up (well and creek) and they are moving to their other property which is too small for livestock. A year after the fracking started north of them the water problems started. The company is moving south with their operations and the couple hope to just sell them this waterless property now.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:09 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
It's time to quit lying to ourselves and admit we have a mentally ill president.

He suffers from delusions of grandeur - believing that all he has to do is wave his hand and it is now reality. King Canute is his role model.

This is the result of his pathological lying - he lies about anything and everything - telling the world whatever he wants it to believe regardless of the reality surrounding his pronouncements. He is increasingly disconnected from reality.

He is kept afloat by a tight circle of enablers who cover for him and spin his lies. But that is changing.

I am making this statement not to be mean, but rather because it is time to seriously consider that Barack Obama is not mentally healthy. I am saying this because he is continuing to run farther and farther away from reality in his actions, and believes that whatever he says becomes the made-over reality that exists only in his mind.

Take his statement that "100-million" people have signed up for ObamaCare - that's nearly 1/3 of the entire 315-million person population of the US. It is a number that prima fascia is irrational.

But Obama stated it as a fact anyway to his Obamabots in Organizing for America. They showed their lack of rational relationship by accepting the number - regardless of its obvious irrational ability to be true. As an aside, it shows that these people are brain-dead, and just accept that whatever Obama says is the truth - with no rational vetting whatsoever.

That's truly scary.

But scarier still is this: NO ONE in the WH dared correct him. No statement came out saying so much as issuing the typical lame excuse that he "misspoke." Nothing. The WH enablers fell silent.

Why?

This is what makes their silence so scary: It means that the WH aides are at a point where they so fear the mad king's wrath that they will abandon reality for his irrational fantasies. They will no longer be a wall of reality constraining his thinking to the Real World.

In short, they are no longer Gatekeepers, but rather like Alice in Wonderland, they are the cards painting the roses red for the insane Queen of Hearts.

"She wanted white - then said what a fright, now she's wants red instead; so we're painting the roses red, we're painting the roses red - can't say no we won't, because if we don't, she'll want our head instead!"

That is mental disconnect. That is insanity. That is Barack Obama.

Don't apologize for thinking him ill; he is ill.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's time to quit lying to ourselves and admit we have a mentally ill president.

He suffers from delusions of grandeur - believing that all he has to do is wave his hand and it is now reality. King Canute is his role model.

This is the result of his pathological lying - he lies about anything and everything - telling the world whatever he wants it to believe regardless of the reality surrounding his pronouncements. He is increasingly disconnected from reality.

He is kept afloat by a tight circle of enablers who cover for him and spin his lies. But that is changing.

I am making this statement not to be mean, but rather because it is time to seriously consider that Barack Obama is not mentally healthy. I am saying this because he is continuing to run farther and farther away from reality in his actions, and believes that whatever he says becomes the made-over reality that exists only in his mind.

Take his statement that "100-million" people have signed up for ObamaCare - that's nearly 1/3 of the entire 315-million person population of the US. It is a number that prima fascia is irrational.

But Obama stated it as a fact anyway to his Obamabots in Organizing for America. They showed their lack of rational relationship by accepting the number - regardless of its obvious irrational ability to be true. As an aside, it shows that these people are brain-dead, and just accept that whatever Obama says is the truth - with no rational vetting whatsoever.

That's truly scary.

But scarier still is this: NO ONE in the WH dared correct him. No statement came out saying so much as issuing the typical lame excuse that he "misspoke." Nothing. The WH enablers fell silent.

Why?

This is what makes their silence so scary: It means that the WH aides are at a point where they so fear the mad king's wrath that they will abandon reality for his irrational fantasies. They will no longer be a wall of reality constraining his thinking to the Real World.

In short, they are no longer Gatekeepers, but rather like Alice in Wonderland, they are the cards painting the roses red for the insane Queen of Hearts.

"She wanted white - then said what a fright, now she's wants red instead; so we're painting the roses red, we're painting the roses red - can't say no we won't, because if we don't, she'll want our head instead!"

That is mental disconnect. That is insanity. That is Barack Obama.

Don't apologize for thinking him ill; he is ill.
I am afraid you missed the biggest problem. Evil! Evil intent of the president, his adminstration and even his supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies