Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
1st, I believe I mentioned the rather obvious point that very few people hold the same exact beliefs about anything ... including religious beliefs. I believe I also mentioned that no one ... not you, or I, or anyone else has the authority to pick which beliefs are valid and which are not.. we're simply required to respect their beliefs, and they, ours.

Secondly .. this nonsense about "Christians pick what is bad, what is not ...." distinguishes them from everyone else, in what way? EVERYBODY does that about EVERYTHING. Do you not pick and choose what is right, what is wrong, what is good, what is bad? Of course you do ... every one of your posts have done just those things. The problem you seem to have is that you believe that only those who agree with you possess thst right ... those you disagree with are wrong, with the only measure of right and wrong, your opinion.
Yes, everyone picks and chooses, but they think that the law doesn't apply to them because of their personal beliefs.

If my personal belief is that I should never wear clothing, does that exempt me from public decency laws? No, I would be taken to jail. Just like the bakers personal beliefs do not exempt him from anti discrimination laws.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,334 times
Quote:
Very well stated!

Now, for the flipside of this "cake caper" ..... what IDIOT would want to buy and eat a cake that they had to get a court order to force the baker to make? I mean, this really is liberal lunacy in all it's unglory shining dimly. If I were the Baker, I'd probably mistake the jar of sodium for sugar, making a very briny confection more suitable for an equine wedding. I don't think there is any law against making bad cake.
This wasn’t about getting the “wedding” cake which they would never get or consume anyway, it was about homosexual militant bullying and punishing those who dare to disagree with and stand up against the homosexual agenda. This baker had the courage, backbone, audacity and resolve to stand up for his religious beliefs and not submit to the homosexual militant bullying which unfortunately cannot be said for too many parts of society.

Quote:
But I've got to say that this entire fiasco REEKS of a staged event ... a pure set-up. No, this isn't just a case of two gay boys tip toeing into a random bakery, and being denied a wedding cake, with the ACLU just showing up to defend the wronged. There was likley premeditation involved here ... the forces of righteous indignation gathering their ranks to make a media extravaganza out of this deplorable discrimination against the poor downtrodden queens seeking a cake.

Conspiracy theory? I don't think so ..... making headline news, with lawyers from the ACLU charging in is not a random event. This is just more of the same promotion of the homosexual agenda being rolled out onto the national stage like the countless other examples of mass media manipulation of society.
These two little abominable darlings very likely went from shop to shop just looking for a target of opportunity. Instead of doing the right thing and going somewhere else, which any other normal person would do in a situation where they are clearly not wanted, they decided to bring the hammer down and punish this establishment in an attempt to gather media attention and to put everyone on notice that the homosexual is indeed exceptionally intolerant and will not allow anyone to disagree or stand up to their bullying.

They got the attention they wanted and are finding out that everybody is not as thrilled, enthused or the least bit concerned about the plight of the homosexual as they thought would happen. They have discovered that there are many who will always support the baker and condemn the intolerant homosexual bullying.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM

511 posts, read 800,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Taxi drivers are refusing service to women, people carrying wine and blind people with guide dogs. They're refusing service to people who morally offend them. According to you, they have that right. Now that right is debatable, isn't it?
Why would a blind person or women morally offend someone? Typical liberal rhetoric, you take things to an unrealistic extreme to cobble together a baseless point.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM

511 posts, read 800,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why not? Your entire argument is that they should be able to refuse customers who offend them.
If I owned a taxi service, why would I hire someone who is going to refuse a class of customers?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
If I owned a taxi service, why would I hire someone who is going to refuse a class of customers?
This is a bit different. He OWNS the bakery. It has nothing to do with whom he hires.

Who knows, he may stand by his principles and close down, just as Hobby Lobby is planning to do. It's time more people stood up to such infringement on their rights. They do have rights too, you know.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Quote:
Nope, both cases are owners having the right to refuse service. A Christian shows up wearing a t-shirt saying homosexuality is a sin offends the gay bar owner. A gay celebration cake offends the baker. Same thing.
It's really simple; liberals may think that confusing the issue will swing the debate in their favor.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Why would a blind person or women morally offend someone? Typical liberal rhetoric, you take things to an unrealistic extreme to cobble together a baseless point.
It is their personal religious belief. Why should some get to use their religious beliefs to break the law, but not everyone else?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right? You really know nothing about fundamentalist Islam?

Furthermore, how am I bring unrealistic, since it's actually happening, in my country and in yours?
Seems like when the shoe is on the other foot, you accuse me of "baseless liberal rhetoric".

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,148,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It is their personal religious belief. Why should some get to use their religious beliefs to break the law, but not everyone else?
Other religions don't count. Only their particular interpretation of their particular religion can be used as a legitimate means of wanton lawbreaking and social irresponsibility.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Other religions don't count. Only their particular interpretation of their particular religion can be used as a legitimate means of wanton lawbreaking and social irresponsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies