Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,958,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
However, of course the discrimination of the business owner's religious beliefs is a non-issue.
They need a nicer religion, one that doesn't ask members to discriminate.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,150,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Kind of like climate change deniers. No argument or evidence could get through the impenetrable bozone layer surrounding them.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,262,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The owner said he would close up shop rather than allow himself to be bullied into going against his religious convictions. Another bakery closed. Rejoice and be happy homosexuals, savor your victory.
Yes, I am very happy he is closing up shop! He seems too stupid to run a business anyway.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
You don't sound very happy. You and several others actually sound angry that there isn't a tidal wave of support for these two little darlings from the general population and that folks actually support the bakery and not the homosexuals.
How do you know what he sounds like?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,455,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
The problem with your argument is that people who prefer specific types of race tracks are not protected classes under any state or federal laws. If someone is racing in an unsanctioned or unsafe manner, the business can refuse to serve them. On the other hand, if the owner of the track didn't want some protected class of people racing at their track (and for the record, this includes straight white Christians) then we would have a serious problem.

If a gay baker/race track owner refused to provide service to a straight couple/driver based on that fact, I would find it equally heinous as this situation, and would support any suits filed against the business.

Is the baker refusing to do business with homosexuals or refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding?

I'm certain that if two heterosexual men wanted to marry and ordered a cake from this baker, being heterosexuals would not change his refusal to provide a cake for a same-sex wedding.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If I owned that business I'd quit making wedding cakes, period. End of story.
I'm sure the health department would shut you down before it came to that.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times
I'm sure the baker wouldn't make a cake for a couple where the bride is a not a virgin. After all, the bible says she should be killed. Perhaps he has a doctor examine them first, to check for intact hymens? If he was a real Christian, he would stand outside churches to lob rocks at the brides.
But no...his fake moral outrage is cherry-picked and reserved for those icky gays.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it is PC and a private owner has every right to do business with whomever he/she wants or not do business with someone, for any reason.
It is not a private business, it is open to the public and thus subject to the same laws the prevent discrimination, period.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,150,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm sure the baker wouldn't make a cake for a couple where the bride is a not a virgin. After all, the bible says she should be killed. Perhaps he has a doctor examine them first, to check for intact hymens? If he was a real Christian, he would stand outside churches to lob rocks at the brides.
But no...his fake moral outrage is cherry-picked and reserved for those icky gays.
I've always wondered why these supposed brave defenders of the faith don't actually follow the word of the bible in any meaningful way. Why don't they and their supporters put their money where their mouth is and actually step up and live their faith according to the tenets of their holy book?

Do you hear that sound? It is the sound of the crickets chirping. And it tells me everything I need to know.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Suppose this baker specifically markets his product as Christian Wedding cakes. Perhaps they are themed, with maybe Bible verses. Suppose it is clearly obvious that his shop is a Christian bakery? Let's further assume that this gay pair knew that it was a Crhistian business.

I would have to ask, why did they target this bakery (and yes, I used the word 'target' on purpose)?

These are obviously (to me anyway) two militant homosexual activists. They chose this shop on purpose. It was their intent to sue (I wonder how much they are seeking in "damages," — which don't exist?).

They have not been harmed in any way. I think this judge should have told them they had no case.

My belief is that the judge is forcing them to be a participant in a practice that violates their religious convictions. If they believe God, but then agree to participate in what they know God forbids, and what God calls sin, are they not sinning against God?

Doesn't "separation of Church and state" apply here? Or do we apply that unequally?
Really now, their bakery is not a church. Now if it was a church baking cakes, that is different. These people are idiots using their religion to discriminate and excuse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies