Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,891,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
On an even more serious note, how does security for something like this work? Surely countries aren't just going to let South Africa oversee and dictate everything. But 125 gov't security details going through their own personal implementation? Insane to think about. I see what goes on when Obama drives down freaking park avenue in manhattan. I can't imagine what must take place in Africa. And have that repeated by 125 different world leaders? Mind blown.

Agreed.

I've heard that there will be 9,000 soldiers from South Africa providing security, but I'm SURE that everyone of these self-important people will have their own security detail paid for by the taxpayer.

Honestly, Obama should have just sent Kerry or Clinton (not like either one of them actually works) so as to avoid the drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,506,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

Honestly, Obama should have just sent Kerry or Clinton (not like either one of them actually works) so as to avoid the drama.
Clinton, Bush, and Carter are going. Kerry has a Congressional hearing on Iran to attend. Canada's Prime Minister and 3 past Prime Ministers are going as are former leaders of many other states. It's a world party dude.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 PM

11 posts, read 15,226 times
And if we have thought of it, the terrorist certainly have. Trying to secure this would be technically impossible. The Secret Service is ALREADY PULLING THEIR HAIR OUT TRYING TO PROTECT THE PRESIDENT'S CLUB. And WHO did they LEAVE BEHIND TO MAN THE SHIP, JOE BIDEN. WE NEED TO PRAY AND THAT IS NO JOKE.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,564,753 times
I hope this will be on TV,

I like seeing a bunch of important powerful people all in one area mingling with each other

Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,578,717 times
Is Putin going? I would be uncomfortable if he's not, just saying.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,073,212 times
I thought of that. Biden being president came to mind. I can just hear:I promise to get the f...ers that did this. On serious note its got to cost a small fortune.I heard Israel decided not to go because of cost and travel cost being a hot topic there now.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 PM

11 posts, read 15,226 times
Each President still has a Secret Service detail which cost Hundreds of a Thousand of dollars each. With President Obama, there is the Advanced Detail that goes at least a week prior to work out the details. Then they carry TWO OF EVERYTHING NEEDED even a decoy Air Force One which also serves as a backup if something happens to the one Obama & the other Presidents are in. Then the Press also travels with him on Air Force One. The cost for this will easily exceed in the Millions of a American a Dollars. Most people are not aware of the cost when the President travels. Plus you have C 17's & C 130's going also to carry the Presidential limousine's and Helicopter's then also all the military personal that goes when he travel's abroad. The list goes on and on as does the COST.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,626,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
On an even more serious note, how does security for something like this work? Surely countries aren't just going to let South Africa oversee and dictate everything. But 125 gov't security details going through their own personal implementation? Insane to think about. I see what goes on when Obama drives down freaking park avenue in manhattan. I can't imagine what must take place in Africa. And have that repeated by 125 different world leaders? Mind blown.
To be honest and I hate to say this but I really think Mr. Mandela was on life support back in June and his family and the powers that be decided to keep him that way until the time was right. In the meantime, South African's government and secret service would meet with other secret service details of other countries and map out the security situation because surely other world leaders would arrive for his memorial to pay their respects.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 PM

542 posts, read 694,386 times
Wow. That's amazing. I mean, how often do all (many of) the world leaders get together, outside of some world economic conference type thing?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,279,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A terror attack in South Africa would wipe out the world's leadership.
The world elite is descending on South Africa for Mandela's funeral - including past and present leaders from 100+ world countries, Ted Cruz, Oprah, and the Pope.
Heh, some say that be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies