Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's not just leftist, it's realist. You have a seriously inadequate electrical grid. I shouldn't have to explain what losing a large section of power for a week or more does to the people around it to anyone here. Humans will literally turn into raging zombie-like creatures after a week without power.
Every year for various reasons people are left without power for a week or more.

Quote:
So changing a single 60 watt bulb to a 8 - 13 watt bulb in every home in America has the ability to offset up to 6,500 megawatts of power. So it would be, um, stupid not to at least consider the consequences of trying to live like it's the 1900's in the 21st century.
And many will all without the nanny government holding their hands.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, because government.
That's what I thought. You hear the G-word and go into a tizzy even if you have no clue what's going on.

Quote:
If new bulbs are a better product, people will buy them and older technology will phase itself out.
I think this thread is proof-positive that even seemingly-educated individuals have no idea what they are talking about. There are STILL people saying "Egmagerd!!! We can only get CFLs now and I don't like them!!" even after being corrected numerous times. If the "smart" people can't even understand, what about the other 50% of people? The old, inefficient technology never would die out because half the people wouldn't even know the difference. And in the interest of maintaining the electrical system which they mostly run, they made a mandate for bulbs which use less electricity but do the exact same thing.

You just get mad because you can't have your way. This thread sounds like a preschool nursery.

Quote:
There is no need for the government to get involved. As-is there are people who still have many uses for the old bulbs but government isn't liking that.
Name for me two things that you can no longer do with new bulbs.

Quote:
And many will all without the nanny government holding their hands.
Or, we could just move on from this complete non issue which has you in such a rage. Man, life must be hard when something so simple gets you so riled up.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
"Egmagerd!!! We can only get CFLs now and I don't like them!!" even after being corrected numerous times.
That's like trying to argue I can buy a Yugo or tractor trailer therefore gasoline and diesel powered vehicles have not been banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Name for me two things that you can no longer do with new bulbs..
These are often used for means of heat in numerous places, for example placing a bulb in a coal stove for summer storage is something I have often suggested. This helps prevent corrosion and extend the life of the stove. As another example my delivery truck had a pressure release valve that tended to freeze overnight when temperatures dipped below 10 degrees. One bulb and throw a blanket over it, problem solved.

That's besides the fact they are useless for outside....

Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought. You hear the G-word and go into a tizzy even if you have no clue what's going on.
Seems there is a long discussion here about what is going on.

Quote:
I think this thread is proof-positive that even seemingly-educated individuals have no idea what they are talking about. There are STILL people saying "Egmagerd!!! We can only get CFLs now and I don't like them!!" even after being corrected numerous times. If the "smart" people can't even understand, what about the other 50% of people? The old, inefficient technology never would die out because half the people wouldn't even know the difference. And in the interest of maintaining the electrical system which they mostly run, they made a mandate for bulbs which use less electricity but do the exact same thing.
What happened to bias ply tires? Betamax? It's also been noted that they do not do the same thing. It's been noted that there are applications for the old bulbs where a small heat source is needed and these work great.

Quote:
You just get mad because you can't have your way. This thread sounds like a preschool nursery.
Sorry, is it me advocating the banning of something? Me thinks you need a mirror.

Quote:
Name for me two things that you can no longer do with new bulbs.
A small heat source. It's been noted where people need that all through the thread. Why not read the replies as opposed to making people repeat things over and over?

Quote:
Or, we could just move on from this complete non issue which has you in such a rage. Man, life must be hard when something so simple gets you so riled up.
Such a rage? I'm not the one advocating that we ban something perfectly harmless with many uses.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Betamax?
Ironically a superior format to VHS except the 1 hour tapes. Perhaps the government should of banned VHS becsue of it's inferiority?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I always buy the energy-efficient bulbs anyway. Otherwise you just waste money on your electric bill.
You can't waste money since it's virtually unlimited. You can waste fossil fuels, however...

Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's like trying to argue I can buy a Yugo or tractor trailer therefore gasoline and diesel powered vehicles have not been banned.
Umm, not at all. It's like saying that you can have the exact same vehicle, but the fuel must give you 25% more mileage for only a slight increase in cost.

[quoteThese are often used for means of heat in numerous places, for example placing a bulb in a coal stove for summer storage is something I have often suggested. This helps prevent corrosion and extend the life of the stove. As another example my delivery truck had a pressure release valve that tended to freeze overnight when temperatures dipped below 10 degrees. One bulb and throw a blanket over it, problem solved.

That's besides the fact they are useless for outside....[/quote]

Quote:
A small heat source. It's been noted where people need that all through the thread. Why not read the replies as opposed to making people repeat things over and over?
And these two posts above prove that you both have not read the thread, or my numerous attempts to prove this claim wrong. Either that, or you are willfully ignoring it. If you can't read, don't respond.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
And these two posts above prove that you both have not read the thread, or my numerous attempts to prove this claim wrong. Either that, or you are willfully ignoring it. If you can't read, don't respond.
LOL, the thread is full of people complaining because the biggest output of the old bulbs is heat not light.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Umm, not at all. It's like saying that you can have the exact same vehicle, but the fuel must give you 25% more mileage for only a slight increase in cost.
It's not the exact same vehicle, I used this in another thread but if you want to follow along with that line of reasoning it's like saying I can buy av Yugo to tow my boat which isn't going to happen. I can choose larger way over powered vehicle to get the job done but that defeats the purpose of banning them in the first place and certainly isn't helping me with costs. That leaves me with the new electric vehicle that may be suitable for every day use but is only going to get me half way to the lake when I'm towing my boat so that's not an option either.

I may not need that large gasoline powered vehicle that often but when I do there is no substitute.

Quote:
And these two posts above prove that you both have not read the thread,
And what exactly can be purchased for 50 cents and run for few a months costing me a few dollars that is going to provide me with small and safe heat source?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
LOL, the thread is full of people complaining because the biggest output of the old bulbs is heat not light.
I use CFL's predominately but that's besides the point. Incandescents are a product I have specific uses for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies