Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Jews and Arabs come from the same part of the world, and are presumably genetically very close. IIRC Abraham was originally from what is now Iraq.

Jews constitute about 20% of Nobel prize winners, including:

Exactly one Arab has won a Nobel prize in a scientific field. Several including Yassar Arafat, won peace/literature prizes. I think that suggests that culture is far more important than race in determining IQ.

It would be interesting to see a study of religion and intelligence. That might be an even better predictor of IQ, but is not genetically determined.
So how does that explain the Arab/Muslim world's contributions in mathematics and science - such as in geometry and algebra?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So how does that explain the Arab/Muslim world's contributions in mathematics and science - such as in geometry and algebra?
Also a difficult topic as Arab mathematics mostly goes back to Indian mathematics... Even what we call Arabic numbers are actually Indian numbers.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, not exactly. There are several Jewish groups. One is Sephardic Jews. One is Ashkenazi Jews. And one is Oriental Jews. The Sephardi and Oriental Jews, are basically the middle-eastern Jews, of which a lot of them ended up in places like North Africa and Spain. The Ashkenazi Jews are actually Eastern European Jews. Who genetically come from the area around the Black sea, in the Ukraine.

When we think of Jews, we normally think of Ashkenazi Jews. Those are the Jews that "look white". Like Albert Einstein. The Rothschilds. Benjamin Netanyahu. Etc.

Sephardic and Oriental Jews have roughly the same rate of achievement as middle-easterners. Ethiopian Jews are basically on the same achievement level as other blacks. Only the Eastern European Ashkenazi's win the nobel prizes in scientific fields.

They also have really high rates of Tay-Sachs disease.

Ashkenazi Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When I read your post, I thought you were way off, but it is possible that you are right.

Surprise: Ashkenazi Jews Are Genetically European | LiveScience

I still doubt the race-based theory of intelligence but this data point is not what I thought it was.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I recently heard about a study that rendered the results that all other things being equal, genes of the child is most important in determining the grades the child will receive.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:22 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I was at a coffee shop yesterday morning and I overheard two older gentleman discussing this. I live in the same town as a major research university, so I'm not sure if these guys were professors or just two random dudes. Regardless, they were arguing about the validity of IQ tests on various grounds. One guy was against IQ tests all together and the other cited studies saying that Asians were consistently top performers and then whites, Hispanics, and blacks.

So my question is as follows: Is it inappropriate or unethical to study a racial group based on its IQ solely?
People can discuss anything they'd like, but they also have to deal with other people having discussions about what they are doing.

In terms of IQ and race, lets just say that the advocates of race and IQ are usually racists who ignore a lot factual information from scientists which doubts/questions the biological existence of race, and doubts that IQ actually measures this human trait we call intelligence.

Here is a very easy thing to do, look up the men who are involved in that field of study, and note the clearly racist leanings of those men.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I recently heard about a study that rendered the results that all other things being equal, genes of the child is most important in determining the grades the child will receive.

Well, yes. Equalize all other factors and the single variable factor left does become the most important factor. That's only logical.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
In terms of IQ and race, lets just say that the advocates of race and IQ are usually racists who ignore a lot factual information from scientists which doubts/questions the biological existence of race, and doubts that IQ actually measures this human trait we call intelligence.
And there is the rub. When the authoritative genetic scientists have said, "Genetically, there is no such thing as race," it makes it hard for anyone else calling himself a scientist to have an authoritative opinion based on racial genetics.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And there is the rub. When the authoritative genetic scientists have said, "Genetically, there is no such thing as race," it makes it hard for anyone else calling himself a scientist to have an authoritative opinion based on racial genetics.
It should make it hard, if your field of study is something that doesn't actually exist biologically, then studying genetic "racial" differences based on human intelligence and using the IQ test as the stand in for human intelligence becomes a farce, and that is why anyone who goes and you don't have to take my word for it, go look up the men involved in this field of study, nearly all are associated with racist groups.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Basically, one would have to differentiate not between races, but between, say, haplogroups or mutation carriers

Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Basically, one would have to differentiate not between races, but between, say, haplogroups or mutation carriers
Like redheads?

Maybe we should conduct a study to see how intelligence relates to blondes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies