Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times

Advertisements

The government already keeps track of how certain groups are doing educational wise, I think especially since laws like NCLB came into existence.

In and of itself, I don't think there is anything inappropriate, its just data.

Now the policies people make based on the data are another issue.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Well, the military uses the GCT to reject 60% plus of applicants who hold a high school diploma, the ones who can't read or write very well. Is this the part when you ask me for links to support my outrageous insinuations?
I'm not asking your for anything. And you're changing the subject.

The military does a good job of determining who can do what already. The military doesn't need an IQ test...they use a standardized test to determine what the INDIVIDUAL is capable of in a military setting.

Blacks do incredibly well in the military against their white counterparts. So i don't even know why you brought that up.

I asked a simple question...

Now that we've already established that whites will test out to have higher IQ's on average than blacks will, what do YOU plan on doing with that information? What's the end game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
In terms of science, of course not. Knowledge is knowledge, and as long as the process of acquiring it isn't harmful (think Dr. Mengele), it is how we better ourselves and society. Pretending there are no differences among the races, as liberals have tried to do for decades, doesn't help anyone, and certainly doesn't promote the "post-racial" society they pretend to want (while simultaneously giving preferences to groups that have been discriminated against in the past).

IQ, or standardized test scores, aren't a measure of worth or value. Science isn't making a value judgement when statistics show African Americans do more poorly on average on standardized tests than "white" people
, or when the median Asian score is better than the median white score. Science is not saying the Asian will make the best worker (unless, of course, the job is to get the best scores on standardized tests). A person with a high IQ is worthless to an employer if there is no work ethic. And worse, a person with a high IQ but no moral/ethical conscience is so dangerous that they can bring down not just their own companies, but the entire economy--as happened in the 2008 Recession, when Big Banking created a house-of-cards high stakes gambling scheme to maximize profits, while catastrophic losses were socialized on the back of the taxpayer.

Statistics say nothing at all about the individual. For instance, the normalized distribution (the "bell curve") of men's IQ scores is more spread-out than the bell curve of women's scores, meaning there are more men on both ends: very high IQs, and very low IQs. You might predict that a man would therefore hold the highest IQ score, since there are more men who are capable of that achievement than women. But instead it is a woman (Marilyn vos Savant) who holds the highest IQ score. Achievements are about individuals; statistics are about populations.
You're being incredibly disingenuous here.

Again, we already know what the previous studies have shown. We already know that African Americans will test lower than whites and whites will test lower than Asians. So how is that information gonna be used to "better society" as you seem to be implying as some sort of possibility?

For the millionth time, let's put the info out there in bright lights for the whole world to see it...whites test better than African Americans and Asians test better than whites. Great.

Now what? What do you plan to do with this information? What's the end game here?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Here is one source:

ASVAB | History of Military Testing

I believe Sowell's statement concerning WWI testing I first read in his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".
Thanks.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Someone basically said that it is ok scientifically as long as there are no negative consequences for anyone. Science is neutral etc.
I think that is naive. As soon as people know a scientific fact, they will act accordingly. So far we don't even know whether or not some races (or ethnic groups since scientifically there are no races) are more intelligent than others, yet based on mere opinion there have been terrible racist crimes, genocides etc. Imagine there were proof... In a society where intelligence is of utmost importance, any such findings would be a big problem.

Some of the explanations I have heard in the past are not convincing, either. The strange, eurocentric idea for instance that life in the African jungle or steppe was easier than in cold Europe.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
I think no legitimate scientific research is inappropriate so long as it doesn't endanger unsuspecting people or violate human rights.

With that said the emphasis needs to be on legitimate. Most racial intelligence studies thoughout history have been based on unsound criteria/assumptions and/or haven't bother to collect enough actual data.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Jews and Arabs come from the same part of the world, and are presumably genetically very close. IIRC Abraham was originally from what is now Iraq.

Jews constitute about 20% of Nobel prize winners, including:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
41% of all the Nobel Prizes in economics, 28% of medicine, 26% of Physics, 19% of Chemistry
Exactly one Arab has won a Nobel prize in a scientific field. Several including Yassar Arafat, won peace/literature prizes. I think that suggests that culture is far more important than race in determining IQ.

It would be interesting to see a study of religion and intelligence. That might be an even better predictor of IQ, but is not genetically determined.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Jews and Arabs come from the same part of the world, and are presumably genetically very close. IIRC Abraham was originally from what is now Iraq.

Exactly one Arab has won a Nobel prize in a scientific field. Several including Yassar Arafat, won peace/literature prizes. I think that suggests that culture is far more important than race in determining IQ.

It would be interesting to see a study of religion and intelligence. That might be an even better predictor of IQ, but is not genetically determined.
One of the few times that I actually agree with you.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
That is a difficult comparison because many of those Jews were and are of European, oftentimes German ancestry, which is obvious from typical last names (ending in -berg, -stein, -mann, -feld, etc.). Arabs and Palestinians usually have no European ancestry and history, though. So maybe that Jewish scientific tradition came from Europe originally and was then exported to Israel and the US.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
^It's actually a great example to conduct a cultural comparison.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Well, not exactly. There are several Jewish groups. One is Sephardic Jews. One is Ashkenazi Jews. And one is Oriental Jews. The Sephardi and Oriental Jews, are basically the middle-eastern Jews, of which a lot of them ended up in places like North Africa and Spain. The Ashkenazi Jews are actually Eastern European Jews. Who genetically come from the area around the Black sea, in the Ukraine.

When we think of Jews, we normally think of Ashkenazi Jews. Those are the Jews that "look white". Like Albert Einstein. The Rothschilds. Benjamin Netanyahu. Etc.

Sephardic and Oriental Jews have roughly the same rate of achievement as middle-easterners. Ethiopian Jews are basically on the same achievement level as other blacks. Only the Eastern European Ashkenazi's win the nobel prizes in scientific fields.

They also have really high rates of Tay-Sachs disease.

Ashkenazi Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies