Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times

Advertisements

I've heard talk about how the Tea Party is so popular and powerful in areas, it becomes the face of the GOP or more popular than the GOP in that area. If this is the case, why not give them a platform to ride on so there's an option besides Republican or Democrat? It would be interesting to see how elective polls would swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:08 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I prefer one party rule like we have now.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I prefer one party rule like we have now.
Don't you mean two party rules?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I've heard talk about how the Tea Party is so popular and powerful in areas, it becomes the face of the GOP or more popular than the GOP in that area. If this is the case, why not give them a platform to ride on so there's an option besides Republican or Democrat? It would be interesting to see how elective polls would swing.
The only people saying the tea party is that popular are left wingers who are using it to blame Obamas policies for not working at they were intended. You know, those who hate people for having a different opinion.

Those of us on the right, know the tea party is a very small group of the party and in reality, they wont need to form their own group, they could probably just go join the libertarian party and be just as happy.

Forming yet another political party wont do anygood other than ensure Democrats will win every election by splitting up the voters on the right once again.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Don't you mean two party rules?
I'm pretty sure he meant one party rule like he stated. There isnt a lot of difference between Democrats and Republicans in office nowadays, the only argument is over what policies will help push their big government agenda.

Look at how many policies Democrats opposed Bush for using and passing, only to have Obama expand them, and not a peep of protest from Democrats..

Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
I think that A true Tea Party is possible. The # of groups that claimed tax exempt status (501(c)4) is large and has large sums backing them.

The Libertarians and Tea Party, while have some common ideas, are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The only people saying the tea party is that popular are left wingers who are using it to blame Obamas policies for not working at they were intended. You know, those who hate people for having a different opinion.

Those of us on the right, know the tea party is a very small group of the party and in reality, they wont need to form their own group, they could probably just go join the libertarian party and be just as happy.

Forming yet another political party wont do anygood other than ensure Democrats will win every election by splitting up the voters on the right once again.
You heard about coalitions, right? In theory the Tea Party Party and the GOP could form a government to rule.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
People are certainly free to form a party that espouses commonly-held tea party principles. However, I don't see them becoming a major third party. Perot's Reform party had some success in the 90s, but I think people eventually realized that they only weakened the Republicans by drawing away their supporters.

A Tea Party that put forth candidates under its own banner may manage to get a few congressmen elected in addition to some local offices, but in a presidential or even senatorial election they will only dilute Republican numbers. There may be some blue dog Democrats that agree with the TP on some issues, but I think their numbers are not very significant. On a positive note, the TP convention would probably be every bit as entertaining as the Libertarian one - but with tricorn hats!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Because it's not a party.
The closest one they'd be to is probably Libertarian.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
You heard about coalitions, right? In theory the Tea Party Party and the GOP could form a government to rule.
They'd have to win elections in order to from coalitions to rule, and splitting the party up would cause winning elections to be mathmathically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies