Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never had anyone request my credit report. The insane desire for more and more of a persons personal information has been a more recent problem.
And maybe to me this isn't a big deal because every job I've ever held has had a security requirement. The military job I held required a Top Secret clearance, and all my civilian work has required me having access to virtually of a company's data. So jobs like mine...yeah, they check everything, like painstakingly. Had one job held up because of having a common first and last name, and if a search doesn't use SSN, apparently some bad folks with my first and last name do bad stuff, and I must go through extra work to clear all that up. Happened at DMV once too. First and last name flagged, had to submit to SSN check to clear it up.

So I never saw the big deal in it, because I seek out jobs in my area of expertise, and that area requires companies putting massive amounts of trust into anyone getting the job, so they crawl into my life with a microscope, and do so by invitation from me. And bad credit is a security risk going back to the beginning of the Cold War. It flags you as target for being recruited by the bad guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Actually, yes you do. In obtaining a driver's license, you make certain concessions with your private rights in order to operate a motor vehicle in the public sphere, among which is the "thou shall not drink and drive" and "thou shall submit to breathalyzer if thou givest probable cause with crappy driving" rules.
That's a big "IF".

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Much more, actually. You explicitly agree to the breathalyzer when you apply for your license. There is no permission being given wrt the NSA data gathering.
No you don't. You agree if there is probable cause. Even then you can deny it as long as you accept the repercussions.

With the case of ones credit rating, there has been no probably cause outside of a few people misplaced ideas.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And maybe to me this isn't a big deal because every job I've ever held has had a security requirement. The military job I held required a Top Secret clearance, and all my civilian work has required me having access to virtually of a company's data. So jobs like mine...yeah, they check everything, like painstakingly. Had one job held up because of having a common first and last name, and if a search doesn't use SSN, apparently some bad folks with my first and last name do bad stuff, and I must go through extra work to clear all that up. Happened at DMV once too. First and last name flagged, had to submit to SSN check to clear it up.

So I never saw the big deal in it, because I seek out jobs in my area of expertise, and that area requires companies putting massive amounts of trust into anyone getting the job, so they crawl into my life with a microscope, and do so by invitation from me.
I never argued for a blanket exception. I said from the beginning that there might be valid reasons. One should have to prove a valid reason.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
HAHAHAHAHA, that is HILARIOUS! Wow. So you would gladly take a breathalyzer if you're pulled over by cops for no reason? Bulls*it.
If I am pullover and only drunk only two drinks which is my max then yes.its that go to judge or jury; and two drinks and I am cleared.No reason is likely a reason or check pointcleared by supreme court as legal. Basically I think driving drunk is stupid regardless and support catching and charging them

Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
@pknopp - don't mistake my point here. I think anyone asking for a credit check for most jobs is wasting time, effort and money on something frivolous and largely meaningless. For stuff like what I do, where I get all the keys to a corporations data secrets? Sure, check every last detail of my life to be sure I am trustworthy. You risk not only my nifty compensation, but your data secrets too, so take extra care with jobs like mine, no problem.

But if a company feels like wasting their time, effort and money on absurd and meaningless hiring criteria...it's their job and their money. Do I think them foolish? Sure, of course. But do I think being foolish where a fool and their money are concerned should be illegal? Heck no.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The DHS does it to TSA applicants.
Their reasoning is that they would be more likely to take a bribe if they had financial troubles.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA, that is HILARIOUS! Wow. So you would gladly take a breathalyzer if you're pulled over by cops for no reason? Bulls*it.
Yeah, you know me. Uh huh.

Gladly? No, as it would be a waste of everyone's time since I don't drink. But I would submit without argument, because THAT'S WHAT I AGREED TO DO WHEN I APPLIED FOR MY DRIVER LICENSE.

So what do I get for your guarantee? You going to send me a check or something?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
YES.

See how effective that is?

There's no coercion going on.

Red herring.

Fair enough. I didn't bring up that statistic; I just remembered reading it. It's irrelevant, anyway. Nobody's suggesting that the overwhelming majority of jobs require a credit check (are they? are you?), so as it stands today, there are still plenty of places to work where you won't have to give your permission for a credit check.

Remember, also, that employers want these positions filled. They're not placing an ad, hiring headhunters and interviewing applicants just so they can nose around in their credit files. We're people, too, you know, and we understand that stuff happens. And in a bad economy, the number of people with screwy credit is going to be fairly high. All of this stuff is taken into account when making a decision. I don't know if you've ever been in management (I think you're smart enough, but you don't seem to have the benefit of that kind of experience, based on your positions in these various threads), but there is no single thing that will disqualify ANY applicant, short of a failed drug test, a blatant and important lie on a resume, etc. But if you approach the situation with honesty, and you're a good fit in every other way, your credit history will be meaningless.

I wasn't demeaning you, I was calling you out on the Bugs Bunny style of drama you were infusing into your argument. "Oh, the humanity!"

No, it's not, and that's why the bill will fail.
There is coercion going on. If I have something you want, and I compel you to do something that you would not voluntarily do otherwise, for just a chance at that something you want, then that's coercion.

Employers have no shortage of applicants, so the fact that they WANT these positions filled is largely irrelevant. They are looking for ways to exclude applicants. And from a management perspective, I understand that. I just think that when you are excluding applicants, the best way from a management perspective, is to exclude people based on their demonstrated ability to do the job. If poor credit actually impacts a person's ability to do the job, then perform a credit check. But if a person's credit has no impact on their ability to do the job, then the employer should be focusing on the characteristics that actually do have an impact, and shouldn't be allowed to do a credit check. There's no management reason to use irrelevant criteria to exclude job applicants. No reason for an employer to exclude blondes from a receptionist position, because the boss prefers brunettes. No reason for an employer to exclude someone who likes to water-ski because the boss can't swim. If an employer can demonstrate the relevance of a credit check, then fine. If not, it's private information and should be protected.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
If it's a no refusal weekend you don't have a choice.
Say no and they'll just get a warrant to take your blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies