Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times

Advertisements

Bad credit sidelines some jobless workers - Eye on the Economy- msnbc.com

"Employers’ growing reliance on credit checks when screening new hires is turning out to be bad news for millions of jobless Americans. Losing a job can often mean trouble paying bills for many unemployed people.

The conventional wisdom in using credit histories in hiring decisions is that a bad history of paying bills is a pretty good indicator of an employee’s reliability."

I'm in a position where I'm subject to review of my trustworthiness at any and all times, so this is no biggie for me. What say you? Is this a reasonable indicator of a person's employability? Should minorities who may typically have lower scores be given a pass?

Has anyone here been subject to negative results as a consequence of poor credit records?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
America is increasingly becoming a country where, if you stumble and are clinging to the edge of a cliff, there will be an army or people who will come and stomp on your fingers. The police are at the head of the line, followed by all other government agencies, and then the private sector interests who control whether you can ever get a job or even a bank account or not, or borrow money, or rent an apartment.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,055 times
I am a strong opposition to this. I think it should be illegal by federal law. I have good credit so I'm lucky there. No potential employers should have the right to check your credit, or check you out on any of the social networks (Facebook, Myspace etc).
The criminal background check and the drug screen is standard and I support that.
This gives the employer the right to be bias and discriminating. It really REALLY needs to be illegal.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
America is increasingly becoming a country where, if you stumble and are clinging to the edge of a cliff, there will be an army or people who will come and stomp on your fingers. The police are at the head of the line, followed by all other government agencies, and then the private sector interests who control whether you can ever get a job or even a bank account or not, or borrow money, or rent an apartment.
So I take it you're not really a fan of personal responsibility, eh? Better to have Big Brother take care of you and provide everything in spite of you acting like a fool, right? (And I'm using the generic "you" here, so please don't take it as a personal slight.)

Is getting a bank account, borrowing money, or renting an apartment - all transactions with private businesses - a right or a privilege?

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 02-23-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have good credit so I'm lucky there.The criminal background check and the drug screen is standard and I support that.
This gives the employer the right to be bias and discriminating. It really REALLY needs to be illegal.
No, you're not lucky. You've shown you can responsibly handle finances including borrowing money and repaying it as agreed. Luck has nothing to do with it.

And anyone stupid enough to put self-derogatory or incriminating information about themselves online via FB or Myspace doesn't seem like someone who can make good decisions.

Should employers not be allowed to discriminate (as in differentiate) between responsible people and those who are not when making hiring decisions?

I'm under a microscope in my profession. Credit checks, periodic (and extremely thorough) background investigations, and even occasional polygraphs are routine to confirm my trustworthiness in handling money and information. Should an employer not be able to make such judgements when looking for suitable candidates?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM

596 posts, read 890,145 times
I think it depends on the type of job. If you are going to be making important decisions and/or handling cash, I think it is appropriate. If you are going to be flipping burgers...not so much.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So I take it you're not really a fan of personal responsibility, eh? Better to have Big Brother take care of you and provide everything in spite of you acting like a fool, right? (And I'm using the generic "you" here, so please don't take it as a personal slight.)

Is getting a bank account, borrowing money, or renting an apartment - all transactions with private businesses - a right or a privilege?
Big Brother does not take care of anybody. Big Brother, if you have ever read "1984", is the face that appears on a TV screen in everybody's living room and lies to them. You are one of those he depends on to swallow it hook line and sinker. You people (generic) who have not done a day of "workin_hard" in many years, if ever, and then whine if somebody who does have to work hard for grunt wages wants a little dignity for his family.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Big Brother does not take care of anybody. Big Brother, if you have ever read "1984", is the face that appears on a TV screen in everybody's living room and lies to them. You are one of those he depends on to swallow it hook line and sinker. You people (generic) who have not done a day of "workin_hard" in many years, if ever, and then whine if somebody who does have to work hard for grunt wages wants a little dignity for his family.
I'll ask again, is getting a bank account, borrowing money, or renting an apartment - all transactions with private businesses - a right or a privilege? Is getting the job you want a right or is it something you have to work at and be better qualified for than the next guy?

Do you think that not getting the job/loan/bank account/apartment you want to have is, based on credit reporting, a loss of dignity? Do you think that a system of reporting, which for the most part is equally applied (equally fairly or unfairly), an unfair standard when it is solely your behaviors which decides what goes into your records?

And yes, some of us are working very hard to get what we have.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM

79 posts, read 76,693 times
Quote:
We are already that country jtur88. The very nature of the system here punishes people for even the slightest mistake. Not only does the system punish, but it capitalizes on people's mistakes. IMO, this is just plain wrong, because no one is perfect and mistakes are part of human nature. Some are luckier than others though....and that's all it boils down to, LUCK.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM

79 posts, read 76,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

The phrase "personal responsibility" has been turned into a means of demonizing and blaming the poor. That is why I refuse to use that phrase -- it has become a joke and nothing but a cruel insult to millions of people who did not choose to be in the situation they're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies