Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay -- so you don't care that the Obama government is collecting all the information it can, totally invading our privacy. But sometimes you do care if it's not Obama invading our privacy?
Huh? Yeah, have no idea what you're even getting at, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't know what "guaraneffinty" means, but I'm going to take you up it, whatever it might be.

You agree to submit to a breathalyzer on demand when you apply for a driver license. That's one of the terms of the contract you agreed to when you applied.

FAIL!

Got anything else?
HAHAHAHAHA, that is HILARIOUS! Wow. So you would gladly take a breathalyzer if you're pulled over by cops for no reason? Bulls*it.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for government to help the little man over the corporation.
They were the ones to allow it to begin with.
We already know you've happily given up your freedom and privacy. But just because you've given up isn't a persuasive argument. Instead of telling us how it's all fine and dandy with you, why not actually put forth an argument of why the rest of us should go along with you?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
NO.
YES.

See how effective that is?

Quote:
Coercion is still coercion.
There's no coercion going on.

Quote:
And half of employers means what? If Wal-Mart is performing the checks, and Joe's Shoe Shine isn't, then half the employers still means most of the jobs.
Red herring.

Quote:
And the rate is declining???? Because fewer employers performed the check in 2011 than in 2010. That's not a trend. That's comparing one year against another year. A declining rate would have to involve more than two years. As I brought up earlier in the thread.
Fair enough. I didn't bring up that statistic; I just remembered reading it. It's irrelevant, anyway. Nobody's suggesting that the overwhelming majority of jobs require a credit check (are they? are you?), so as it stands today, there are still plenty of places to work where you won't have to give your permission for a credit check.

Remember, also, that employers want these positions filled. They're not placing an ad, hiring headhunters and interviewing applicants just so they can nose around in their credit files. We're people, too, you know, and we understand that stuff happens. And in a bad economy, the number of people with screwy credit is going to be fairly high. All of this stuff is taken into account when making a decision. I don't know if you've ever been in management (I think you're smart enough, but you don't seem to have the benefit of that kind of experience, based on your positions in these various threads), but there is no single thing that will disqualify ANY applicant, short of a failed drug test, a blatant and important lie on a resume, etc. But if you approach the situation with honesty, and you're a good fit in every other way, your credit history will be meaningless.

Quote:
I'm not being melodramatic. So quit trying to demean me.
I wasn't demeaning you, I was calling you out on the Bugs Bunny style of drama you were infusing into your argument. "Oh, the humanity!"

Quote:
Coercion is going on. That's why the law has been proposed.
No, it's not, and that's why the bill will fail.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
We already know you've happily given up your freedom and privacy. But just because you've given up isn't a persuasive argument. Instead of telling us how it's all fine and dandy with you, why not actually put forth an argument of why the rest of us should go along with you?
You want to fight it ..go ahead.
And make sure you refuse to apply for any job requiring it as well.

You don't want employers prying into your financial troubles then by all means refuse to sign the permission form.

Follow the Dem mantra.."if you have nothing to hide…."

Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No you don't.
Actually, yes you do. In obtaining a driver's license, you make certain concessions with your private rights in order to operate a motor vehicle in the public sphere, among which is the "thou shall not drink and drive" and "thou shall submit to breathalyzer if thou givest probable cause with crappy driving" rules.

Sitting in your driveway? Nope, that is not the public sphere. But on a public road, you bet you sign over certain rights as a condition of that privilege.

So it is essentially the same kind of choice. If you want to keep your right to privacy perfectly intact, there is simply a bunch of public sphere stuff that you will be prevented from participating in. Even the most diehard libertarians like me understand ceding private rights as trade for participation in the public sphere, so long as both the ceding of the rights and the participation in the public sphere are voluntary choices.

I choose to drive a car on the public road, thus I choose to cede certain rights and assume certain responsibilities for that privilege. I choose to work for a good company at a good job making a good wage. In securing that job, I chose to let my company jump smack in the middle of my privacy. I had every right to say no to every request. I chose to be more forthcoming than all that.

Having my credit checked has happened at 3 different jobs. Whatever. Drug tested for 4 jobs. Whatever. background checked for every job I've ever held. More whatever. I've never refused because my seeking a job is voluntary, and it never seemed like a big deal to me based on the whole voluntary aspect of it.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Been doing it since the late 70's.
And I'm sure it's been going on before I got into the job market after high school.
You seem to think this just came about ?
I never had anyone request my credit report. The insane desire for more and more of a persons personal information has been a more recent problem.

If there wasn't a law when there wasn't a problem, I have no problem with that.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Actually, yes you do. In obtaining a driver's license, you make certain concessions with your private rights in order to operate a motor vehicle in the public sphere, among which is the "thou shall not drink and drive" and "thou shall submit to breathalyzer if thou givest probable cause with crappy driving" rules.

Sitting in your driveway? Nope, that is not the public sphere. But on a public road, you bet you sign over certain rights as a condition of that privilege.

So it is essentially the same kind of choice. If you want to keep your right to privacy perfectly intact, there is simply a bunch of public sphere stuff that you will be prevented from participating in. Even the most diehard libertarians like me understand ceding private rights as trade for participation in the public sphere, so long as both the ceding of the rights and the participation in the public sphere are voluntary choices.

I choose to drive a car on the public road, thus I choose to cede certain rights and assume certain responsibilities for that privilege. I choose to work for a good company at a good job making a good wage. In securing that job, I chose to let my company jump smack in the middle of my privacy. I had every right to say no to every request. I chose to be more forthcoming than all that.

Having my credit checked has happened at 3 different jobs. Whatever. Drug tested for 4 jobs. Whatever. background checked for every job I've ever held. More whatever. I've never refused because my seeking a job is voluntary, and it never seemed like a big deal to me based on the whole voluntary aspect of it.
It never was until the "great recession" put so many people into debt they couldn't pay for.
Too many living way beyond their means. When their ARMs reset and the HELOCs dried up many walked away from their debts.

Wasn't just the poor either.
I saw foreclosed sales in golf course communities.
Same community where boats and motorcycles got repossessed during the day.
Same community where people just moved in the middle of the night.
This is an upper middle class golf community no less.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Actually, yes you do.

No, you do not.

Quote:
In obtaining a driver's license, you make certain concessions with your private rights in order to operate a motor vehicle in the public sphere, among which is the "thou shall not drink and drive" and "thou shall submit to breathalyzer if thou givest probable cause with crappy driving" rules.
You've moved the goal posts.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The NSA is every bit as much of an invasion as your breathalyzer example.
Much more, actually. You explicitly agree to the breathalyzer when you apply for your license. There is no permission being given wrt the NSA data gathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies