Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times

Advertisements

Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud; A&E claims it's received death threats since Phil Robertson's suspension | abc13.com

Quote:
Parker sent a Tweet on Saturday, stating, "When i called Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty 'a redneck wingnut whose views are completely irrelevant' I was serious. Who cares?-A."

That Tweet came on the heels of a report by Lone Star Q, a statewide LGBT news source, that quoted Parker as saying, "What some redneck wingnut has to say about the GLBT community is completely irrelevant."
I don't follow the Mayor very much at all so I don't know if this kind of ignorance is normal for her but I find it hard to believe that anyone elected to represent the City of Houston would have the nerve to make such a stupid statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Um. I think he is a redneck wingnut. His views of the LGBT community are about as relevant as the GOP's on poor folks.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Um. I think he is a redneck wingnut. His views of the LGBT community are about as relevant as the GOP's on poor folks.
She's the mayor of one of the largest cities in the country, calling someone she doesn't actually know a "redneck wingnut" via twitter is far from professional for someone of her public position.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
She's the mayor of one of the largest cities in the country, calling someone she doesn't actually know a "redneck wingnut" via twitter is far from professional for someone of her public position.
Get over it.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Get over it.
Someone should say that to Annise Parker.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,922 times
Quote:
Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud; A&E claims it's received death threats since Phil Robertson's suspension | abc13.com

I don't follow the Mayor very much at all so I don't know if this kind of ignorance is normal for her but I find it hard to believe that anyone elected to represent the City of Houston would have the nerve to make such a stupid statement.
I wonder if the OP saw the actual tweets, or is this something someone spread around that may or may not be true? Could it be that the OP started the thread as just another attempt to drum up support for Robertson and the right wing of the GOP? I don't know, but if it's true, any criticism Robertson gets is well deserved. He is not representing true Christianity and I tremendously resent that. I'm tired of so many "Christians" claiming to be Christians but have no idea how to follow Christ's teachings. Thank God there are many who are true Christians who are coming out of the woodwork lately.

Anyone who would say such things as Robertson did about people born with a sexual orientation different from his should be ashamed.

I'll say this, too. I find it ironic that religious beliefs are completely protected from discrimination by law at the federal, state, county, and city level, while LBGT people are protected only piecemeal at various levels of government. Yet...LGBT are the way they are through no choice (it's innate and immutable), while religious beliefs are a choice. It seems backwards, though in reality, I think ALL should be protected by law.

Free speech is another matter. Many are screaming free speech regarding Robertson, yet speech itself is not protected in the work place. A&E is or was Robertson's employer, and thus had every legal right to fire him.

So regarding the mayor, if she said anything critical of Robertson, I say good for her. I'm tired of some of my family members, friends, and associates being condemned by right wing conservatives. Enough is enough, and increasingly a lot of us aren't going to allow that to continue.

By the way, a lot of us are equally hacked at Robertson's racist remarks. They were horrid. Another good reason for A&E to fire him.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 12-21-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,922 times
Quote:

OP, your brand of politics calls people things all the time. Do you complain about those? Have you seen all the web sites, blogs, and videos of right wing, high level politicians making stupid statements? It's all over the place, every day.

Let's get real.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 PM

https://twitter.com/anniseparker

Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I wonder if the OP saw the actual tweets, or is this something someone spread around that may or may not be true? Could it be that the OP started the thread as just another attempt to drum up support for Robertson and the right wing of the GOP? I don't know, but if it's true, any criticism Robertson gets is well deserved. He is not representing true Christianity and I tremendously resent that. I'm tired of so many "Christians" claiming to be Christians but have no idea how to follow Christ's teachings. Thank God there are many who are true Christians who are coming out of the woodwork lately.

Anyone who would say such things as Robertson did about people born with a sexual orientation different from his should be ashamed.

I'll say this, too. I find it ironic that religious beliefs are completely protected from discrimination by law at the federal, state, county, and city level, while LBGT people are protected only piecemeal at various levels of government. Yet...LGBT are the way they are through no choice (it's innate and immutable), while religious beliefs are a choice. It seems backwards, though in reality, I think ALL should be protected by law.

Here's another thing. Many are screaming free speech regarding Robertson, yet free speech is not protected in the work place. A&E is or was Robertson's employer, and thus had every legal right to fire him.

So regarding the mayor, if she said anything critical of Robertson, I say good for her.
You're not understanding me in the least bit, slow down. I don't agree with what Phil Robertson said but frankly, that has nothing to do with why I started this thread.

Annise Parker is an elected representative of the City of Houston, she shouldn't be labeling someone she doesn't know as a "redneck wingnut" on her official Mayoral twitter feed.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
OP, your brand of politics calls people things all the time. Do you complain about those? Have you seen all the web sites, blogs, and videos of right wing, high level politicians making stupid statements? It's all over the place, every day.

Let's get real.

I'm not the mayor of Houston nor would I ever want to be but if for some reason I did end up in that position I would respect the office and not degrade people I don't know using social media. This wasn't a stupid statement she made, it's inappropriate and it leads me to wonder if Annise Parker feels like anyone who doesn't vote for her or isn't a left leaning, Democrat voter is a "redneck wingnut".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies