Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
She's the MAYOR and she made this statement using social media, she's a public figure.
She is a human, too. who happens to be LGBT and also has her own beliefs that people like Phil Robertson should respect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
She is a human, too. who happens to be LGBT and also has her own beliefs that people like Phil Robertson should respect
Maybe people like Annise Parker should realize that respect is a 2 way street. Phil Robertson didn't say anything about Annise Parker, he was asked a question about homosexuality and he answered it honestly. As a public figure Annise Parker shouldn't have personally attacked anyone using social media.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Typical..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I'm really not that surprised. I've met her at social parties, she's not exactly a polished person. But it's rather ironic that she would be is using defamatory names for a certain demographic.

The world is to be totally PC..unless you disagree with "them."

That said, she's failed to realize that right wing wingnuts built Houston into the powerhouse it is.
No one should be surprised, this is typical of far left thinking. LGBT and the far left always proclaim acceptance, tolerance, open-ness, 'fee choice', compassion etc., that is unless you dont' accept their positions, are not tolerant of their views, not open to their ideology, don't choose only what they would want you to choose, and don't care about their beliefs.

The LGBT community needs to understand and know the difference between acceptance, and tolerance. I am at the opposite end of the political spectrum from Mayor Parker, yet I voted for her (given the other choices), and the city has done well while she has been in office.... 'not saying I credit her, 'just saying she hasn't screwed it up. I met her a couple of times as well as she was invited to speak at a couple of functions I attended, and had no problems with her, even though it was just small talk. Even I was a little surprised that she would say something like that, let alone bother to get involved.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 AM

157 posts, read 325,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm not the mayor of Houston nor would I ever want to be but if for some reason I did end up in that position I would respect the office and not degrade people I don't know using social media.
Is anyone surprised she degraded someone? Seriously now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused
I'm really not that surprised. I've met her at social parties, she's not exactly a polished person. But it's rather ironic that she would be is using defamatory names for a certain demographic.

The world is to be totally PC..unless you disagree with "them."
Is anyone surprised she's uncouth? Seriously-- out come the tired old stereotypes once again, but you better not point it out! Just keep the praise and acceptance going with that cute little smile... or else!!

Look at it this way, at least she stopped short of wishing death on that certain demographic. (I suppose that's still only acceptable on blogs & forums.)

Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
I don't know much about her really, I was honestly shocked when I saw that tweet and I immediately thought it had to be fake. Is she really that unprofessional?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
I could care less in Mayor Parker is gay or not and I also don't see her being gay as a reason to tout Houston's horn … like oh we are so great because we have a gay female mayor - really, who cares.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Why in the heck are a lot of you so shocked that someone called a guy a wingnut? I thought all that was a badge of pride for some of you on the right end of the spectrum? I mean the double standard is so transparent. Cons like to dish it out but ever like taking it when its dished back.

Get over it.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,668 times
This isn't about conservatives and liberals calling each other names. This is about a public figure that represents Houston and the people of Houston stooping down to the level of middle schoolers. I get that the comments are personal for her, but she still needs to be professional.

What I find ironic is people getting all upset about some comments a reality show "star" said in an interview. Get over that.

Last edited by Kiovo; 12-22-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Heh, well she did double down there via Twitter...and you know how crucial tweets are these days. I wonder if anyone would have noticed the comment if she didn't tweet it.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Um. I think he is a redneck wingnut. His views of the LGBT community are about as relevant as the GOP's on poor folks.
Or a democrats view on fiscal or personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies