Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 03:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just because you are a good person doesn't mean you are entitled to a certain wage for taking orders at a fast food restaurant. And yes, starting out there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with very little. It's not looking down on anyone to note that, it's how the vast majority of people have started out for years and years.

I'm not saying it's easy. You aren't guaranteed nor should you be an easy life.

I make almost $30 an hour also and never got a degree. I worked my way up and worked pretty hard to get my current job.

That's awesome My parents did the same as did my friends parents, but in the 70's, it was easier to rise from the ashes than it is now. There is zero wrong with starting at the bottom, (I don't recall saying there is) PROVIDED you get a FAIR chance to work your way up. These days it's like that song "In the City" "when you're down that's where you'll stay" You start AND stay at the near bottom. My point is a lot of "people" forget that. After I graduated #1 in my class for pharm tech, the BEST jobs I could even have a chance of getting were in the 8-10 per hour range, and minimal chance to move up, despite many openings for pharm techs all over town. They ALL pretty much were the very low pay type. Meanwhile after my move to Australia, this same "only worth $8 per hour worker" suddenly was worth $27 with way fewer openings and more native candidates. I know I'm lucky and fortunate, so I'm going to savor my good fortune instead of acting like I'm superior to others, unlike 3/4 CD p&OC board. The only area I'm going to gloat in is the fact I get to live, work, and play in the REAL "Greatest Nation on Earth"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM

237 posts, read 192,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I think that job was based on the ability to swish a rag around in a toilet bowl. Even Microsoft wants clean crappers.
Wow, you are very rude. My job was a software developer. Once again you can't back up your argument with fact and then result to silly phrases like this.

And if my generation is lazy it is because your generation raised us to be.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
So people have to live like paupers, a Spartan lifestyle, and as far as roommates, what if you don't know anyone else in town? Good folks shouldn;t have to jump through hoops to live, should they? I know it's easy for some of you masters of the Universe to sit up in your ivory towers and point your judgmental, ignorant fingers at others. FYI, the game has changed, no longer can you go from surviving by picking up cans or bottles to your own home in Suburbia, just like that. The scales are so slanted towards the greedy employer these days that without some kind of gov't action, this working poor problem is going to get worse. Either some of you are trying to be difficult, or you truly are that ignorant. If it was so simple to do, don't you think 99% of people would've done it already?? Each and every day I thank my lucky stars that I get to live in a superior country, with a superior way of life. You masters of the universe can have America, I'll take the better country Thank you very much. As a pharm tech here I make close to $30 per hour, since I went to school for it. I can easily afford rent in a nice area of town, even if I didn;t have my partner, and live a good comfortable life. Her and I enjoy a superior quality of life, as well the way better attitudes that employers have as opposed to the supposed "Greatest Country on Earth" News flash-you aren't-not even close. Mainly in part to the attitudes displayed by so many of you on this board. But remember all you superior life forms-Karma is a b****
Exactly, today isn't 1976. The minimum wage could go much longer in 1976 then it ever could today.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It’s the email no employee ever wants to receive, let alone just days before Christmas.

“All staff is terminated,†Snarf’s Sub Shop in Chicago said in an email to its 20 employees.

Read story and full email here:

Read the Now-Viral Email a Chicago Sandwich Shop Sent Its Employees Just Days Before Christmas | TheBlaze.com
So 20 minimum wage workers get fired before Christmas for asking for a raise and you find this really funny?I guess now you can have a real laugh as they will now get 99 weeks of unemployment,courtesy of your taxes..

Old 12-25-2013, 03:20 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
https://www.servsafe.com/calculator How about them apples bub?
Umm... Them apples show you are wrong.

Product Details

15$

Old 12-25-2013, 03:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
What is the point of minimum wage? Please, explain to me? I seem to be under the impression that none of you actually understand what minimum wage is...
I have no problem with a minimum wage. A minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. When I started working and was paid minimum wage I didn't expect to be able to pay rent, utilities and a car payment with it. I knew to do that I would have to improve my lot.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So 20 minimum wage workers get fired before Christmas for asking for a raise and you find this really funny?I guess now you can have a real laugh as they will now get 99 weeks of unemployment,courtesy of your taxes..

Sorry but as of now they will only receive the 26 weeks of state unemployment - if their states give that much. They may be able to get an additional 13 weeks if Congress approves it when they come back in January. You should keep up with the changes tho - unemployment has not gone for 99 weeks in over a year due to the decrease (?) in the unemployment rate .

Old 12-25-2013, 03:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
That's awesome My parents did the same as did my friends parents, but in the 70's, it was easier to rise from the ashes than it is now.
Again, who promised anyone that everything would be easy?

When my first daughter was born I was working two minimum wage jobs. One full time one part time. It wasn't easy.

Quote:
There is zero wrong with starting at the bottom, (I don't recall saying there is) PROVIDED you get a FAIR chance to work your way up.
What the hell is fair and how exactly do you measure it?

Quote:
These days it's like that song "In the City" "when you're down that's where you'll stay" You start AND stay at the near bottom. My point is a lot of "people" forget that. After I graduated #1 in my class for pharm tech, the BEST jobs I could even have a chance of getting were in the 8-10 per hour range, and minimal chance to move up, despite many openings for pharm techs all over town. They ALL pretty much were the very low pay type. Meanwhile after my move to Australia, this same "only worth $8 per hour worker" suddenly was worth $27 with way fewer openings and more native candidates. I know I'm lucky and fortunate, so I'm going to savor my good fortune instead of acting like I'm superior to others, unlike 3/4 CD p&OC board. The only area I'm going to gloat in is the fact I get to live, work, and play in the REAL "Greatest Nation on Earth"
You did what you had to, to improve yourself. What was wrong with that? To note that you aren't entitled to "easy" or "fair" isn't a position of superiority. It's simply noting the basics of life.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
OK its 26 weeks on UE then if they havent found a job by then its welfare and other tax payer funded social programs, real funny..

Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no problem with a minimum wage. A minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. When I started working and was paid minimum wage I didn't expect to be able to pay rent, utilities and a car payment with it. I knew to do that I would have to improve my lot.
No one mentioned a car payment. Minimum wage is supposed to be matching inflation. It should be 9.51 using 1976s minimum wage. Back in the day it paid much more then just rent utilities and car payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies