Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 09:19 AM

237 posts, read 192,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes, learning the yellow stuff is the mustard is an extensive training program.

Adding lettuce and tomato is no doubt shown during different training sessions as we wouln't want to tax their minds.
Yes, its called food safety and being servsafe certified, but of Mr MBA over here must have already known that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Their action may be illegal. The WARN Act specifies that companies notify the state & employees of any mass job action.

Also I don't see nothing to gloat about. Wanting more money is natural these employees are just going about it wrong.
seems to me that the email WAS the notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
BZZT! I live on a poverty-level income and I can't get a Pell Grant.
ok then there are still foundations you can apply to for help, along with places that will pay for your education, but you have to fulfill an employment contract when you graduate. there are always options.

Quote:
Thanks, this is a start...the second one says I am eligible for 5 programs...now when i give them my email address that's when the spamming starts and doesn't stop for 12 months. I've seen this before...apparently a lot of scholarships are geographically specific, my zip code eliminated about 2800 of them.
so then set you email filter to a high enough level that only those emails that you want go into your inbox, and everything else goes in the junk mail folder. that way you can delete the emails in the junk folder all at once rather than having to go through them all. simple.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:30 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Yes, its called food safety and being servsafe certified, but of Mr MBA over here must have already known that.....
An extremely challenging and technical industry to be sure. Having worked in a pizza shop before I can tell you it is a trick to learn to toss that dough and make a crust. Took me 3 tries and I had it. I should have made big bucks for it.
What should food servers be paid? Minimal technical ability is needed, minimal education is needed. I am a firm believer that pay should be based on knowledge and effort required to do the job. Cooks are paid more than a waitress, chefs are paid more than cooks.
Life is all about the choices and decisions we have made along the way. It sucks for those who never put forth the effort to be more than a minimum wage earner, but the majority through their own actions and choices made their own bed.

What is the profit on a hoagie? How many must be sold to make payroll? I don't know, but I am sure that shop owner does. What I do know is when you apply for a job and accept it, you accept the pay that is offered. If you think that you are worth more keep looking, or work that job until you find better.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 AM

237 posts, read 192,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
An extremely challenging and technical industry to be sure. Having worked in a pizza shop before I can tell you it is a trick to learn to toss that dough and make a crust. Took me 3 tries and I had it. I should have made big bucks for it.
What should food servers be paid? Minimal technical ability is needed, minimal education is needed. I am a firm believer that pay should be based on knowledge and effort required to do the job. Cooks are paid more than a waitress, chefs are paid more than cooks.
Life is all about the choices and decisions we have made along the way. It sucks for those who never put forth the effort to be more than a minimum wage earner, but the majority through their own actions and choices made their own bed.

What is the profit on a hoagie? How many must be sold to make payroll? I don't know, but I am sure that shop owner does. What I do know is when you apply for a job and accept it, you accept the pay that is offered. If you think that you are worth more keep looking, or work that job until you find better.
No, that isn't how it works. We have the right to protest low wages and that is how we change things in this country. We protest.
We don't like racial discrimination. What do we do? We protest. We don't like wage discrimination. What do we do? We protest.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
No, that isn't how it works. We have the right to protest low wages and that is how we change things in this country. We protest.
We don't like racial discrimination. What do we do? We protest. We don't like wage discrimination. What do we do? We protest.
I don't know what wage discrimination is.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
My 13 yr. old daughter graduated this last year

Welcome to ServSafe® Food Handler Program

The ServSafe Food Handler Program is a complete solution that delivers consistent food safety training to employees. The program covers five key areas:
  • Basic Food Safety --Put stuff in the fridge level 1
  • Personal Hygiene ---how to wash your dirty butt
  • Cross-contamination & Allergens -----cover your mouth when you sneeze
  • Time & Temperature --- Put stuff in the fridge level 2
  • Cleaning & Sanitation---washing dishes

Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Sorry, I find no humor in people loosing their jobs, especially at Christmas.
I think it's funny as hell.

It's funnier than Richard Pryor with his hair on fire.

Quote:
They have the right to protest under the law,....
And they have a right to be fired.

Actions have consequences.

You're a poster child for everything that is wrong with America...people can do whatever they want, and never have to face the consequences of their actions, because like a typical helicopter parent, you're right their to make sure that only innocent people get bled to the death of money to cover the consequences of the actions.

Quote:
... just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses,...
Employers have little to no real choice in wages paid.

All wages and salaries are dictated by the Laws of Economics via the Law of Supply & Demand....get over it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Now his unemployment insurance will double. Very smart move.
Maybe...Maybe not.

I'm certain it never occurred to you that over the long-term, it might be more profitable to pay the higher SUTA tax than lose money because those employees suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I guess if you think it's funny to see low wage workers lose their job 2 days before Christmas?
Yes, I do, especially when they caused their own suffering.

It's even funnier than Michael Jackson's hair on fire during the Pepsi commercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder how many of those employees are eligible for UI, if they were short term, the UI goes against previous employers. If illegal, no UI at all.
Well, there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is capitalism at its finest.
Yes, Capitalism is about the use of Capital, and Labor is Capital.

Quote:
Thank you I feel the same, I am glad so many here feel so much compassion for their fellow man.
Compassion?

I am compassionate.

A display of compassion would be forcing the "federal" government out of the education business to stop it's constant costly interference, and to restore schools to local control, along with restoring the real "core" curriculum of math, science and economics......

....so that people understand that wages are a function of Supply & Demand and not Wishful Thinking.

Quote:
How does that solve the problem of how to live on $7.45 an hour?
WWRRD?

What would rattus rattus do?

When Black Rats cannot find food or shelter, they do what all other rats and other animals do, and that is they move to a place where they can find food and shelter....

...which makes rats a helluva lot smarter than you.

Obviously, the rats are worth $7.45/hour, but you are not.

If you require an explanation because it's too complicated, here's one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I actually explained previously, how someone can live on 7.45 an hour.

Again, you showed how 2 people making $7.45 an hour can make it together. As far as your example goes it would prove out how someone could make it making absolutely nothing.

1. Find a roommate making good money and move in with them.
Well, okay, there you go.

To add insult to injury for the lame thinkers, there are places in the united States where one is not eligible for tax-payer subsidized HUD Section 8 Housing, if their annual income is greater than $9,100.

For those who don't get it, $9,101 per year comes to $4.55/hour for 2,000 hours annually.

And for those who still don't get it, $4.55/hour is $2.70/hour less than "federal" minimum wage.

So, the United States Government says a single person earning $4.55/hour in some places in the US earns too much money to have their housing subsidized by the tax-payers.

How about that?

Quote:
Second, I'd like to point out minimum wage is 7.25 an hour. That leaves with 1158.4 a month before taxes.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in Williamsburg, VA. New Jersey taxes are much higher and so is rent. The only place you'd live with that money is the ghetto slum.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....

Nothing but excuses intended to hide the truth, which is that you believe you are entitled to a certain minimum standard of living and life-style.

Sorry, you are not, and you will learn over the course of the next 10-15 years that you cannot afford to subsidize people's life-styles.

Quote:
How much money does one really need?
The question is irrelevant.

To the extent that it might be relevant, then "How much living space does one really need?"

You could save lots of money by having HUD refuse to subsidize housing for single persons and single parents, requiring that those people live in multi-households....you know, share living accommodations.

And since they would be sharing housing, they wouldn't need as much money for Food Stamps, or Medicaid.

There are 1,539 separately functioning economies in the united States....

...your attempt to micromanage all of them is going to cost you the loss of your country...

Mircea

Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My 13 yr. old daughter graduated this last year

Welcome to ServSafe® Food Handler Program

The ServSafe Food Handler Program is a complete solution that delivers consistent food safety training to employees. The program covers five key areas:
  • Basic Food Safety --Put stuff in the fridge level 1
  • Personal Hygiene ---how to wash your dirty butt
  • Cross-contamination & Allergens -----cover your mouth when you sneeze
  • Time & Temperature --- Put stuff in the fridge level 2
  • Cleaning & Sanitation---washing dishes
Harrier was never ServSafe certified, but he made sure that his employees were, and paid for them to go to Sacramento for the training.

Harrier once ran a bar which served food.

Harrier was certified as a responsible bartender, which means he knew how much to pour in a given drink, and when to cut someone off.

It has been a while since Harrier did that. He can't remember what was the name of the certification, but he probably has the expired card in his wallet.

The certification was necessary because it helped limit our liability if we were ever sued.

Harrier ran a tight shop - we played according to the rules.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
First of all, I want to say thank you. Your the only post on here that made an actual argument back to me.

Second, I'd like to point out minimum wage is 7.25 an hour. That leaves with 1158.4 a month before taxes.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in Williamsburg, VA. New Jersey taxes are much higher and so is rent. The only place you'd live with that money is the ghetto slum.

After taxes it leaves you with about, $900 (1158 * .22 and I took of the rest state income tax). $900 isn't a lot. Do a quick of New Jerseys Craig'slist check most roomates are charging over $600 plus. Say you get one for $450 like you said. Thats going to be a slum. Your left with $450 a month. You got to pay utilities. I'm talking only gas ($15 a month), electric ($75 a month), water ($30 a month). Your left with $330 a month. You better have good transportation if your trying to keep your job. Say you own a Craig's list beater. You're stilling paying 100 month for insurance and throw in $30 for repairs. Your left with $200 month. That's a food bill a month if you don't eat ramen noodles. But let's say you only spend $100 a month. You have to have a phone number to get job interviews. So throw $35 a month on to their. $65 is not going to pay for college. You best not get sick either or have your car breakdown.

Listen, depending on your age. You're fafsa isn't based on what you make. It's based on what your parents make. That could mean you get nothing. My parents kicked me out when I was 18. I used my computer skills to get a nice paying job, but most people didn't have my skills. Scholarships aren't guaranteed. That's like basing my education on the lottery.

Its possible in Williamsburg, but not everywhere.

And to address the business question. Of course I care about my profit. There's a difference between making 400k a year and paying your workers like slaves then making 120k a year and paying them well. How much money does one really need? I hope to make more money, but ill do it the right way. There's are other ways to cut expenditures. Employees aren't the only expenditures in a business.

Yes, its true if I wasn't making a profit, I would have to downsize. However, Costco and Apple and a lot of other stores can treat their employees nice and make a profit so it is possible. BTW, if I wasn't making a profit it wouldn't be because a small $3 pay increase, it would be because of poor cost management skills and poor marketing.
I have been on my own since 1976, I used to make it on 2.30 an hour. So yea, I know all about low wages. I remember making a box of rice and some bouillon last almost a week.

I also learned, if you can't make it where you are, go someplace you can afford. I was lucky, I lived at the "Y" for 18 months, before I made good enough friends with 2 other people, and we got an apt together. $195 a month, I remember it very well. I also remember paying 10$ and getting a 1 month pass for the bus, (ok, it's prob more than that now). Riding the bus means no car required, no insurance, no gas, and no repairs.

I also understand your paying your employees well, and if your making 120K plus after bills pay, etc, but what if the sandwich show is making much less. MAYBE, they had to take out a loan to remodel, so they could try to make more money, and in the middle of that, ALL of his employees decide to take a 4 day "Período de descanso" to protest the low pay?

Believe it or not, there are MANY places making it, just barely, and a $3 an hour pay increase, would put them under.

I also understand that not ALL employers are honest, and some try to take advantage of workers. There are ALSO employers just barely making it, and also employers that start people out at minimum wage, and then provide raises, as they stay on the job. People have been making a lot of assumptions about this sandwich shop. MY assumption is this, ALL of his workers walked off the job for 4 days. Personally, I would have replaced them right then and there. If you have a beef, let's sit down and talk, but this is an AT WILL employment, if you don't work as scheduled, I feel as if you have quit.

The bottom line is, there is ALWAYS a way. I refuse to meet life with a negative attitude, if I did, I would be in really bad shape. In 2004 I was laid off, almost 6 figure salary, as a single dad with 2 kids, disabled middle aged vet. I worked 2, 3, and sometimes 4 part time jobs a week, to make ends meet, and not a once did I get welfare, medicaid, section 8, or any other handout. I made the bills, took care of my children's monthly doctor visits and medication. Tired? yup. 18 months later, I was back to full time employment. No longer making what I was making previously, but it was a job, and I knew I would prove myself capable, and a desirable employee. I have done that and more, and I enjoy my job. ANYONE can quit, ANYONE can say it can't be done.

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-25-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I thought anyone who met the financial need could get a Pell Grant. Go to an inexpensive state U and a Pell should just about cover tuition and books
It covers most of Harrier's tuition but not his books here in California.

Harrier has completed one quarter at his university(Harrier is a transfer student from a junior college).

He is saving so that he won't have to use the Pell Grant for many more subsequent quarters.

Harrier never used financial aid until he transferred. Community colleges here in California are cheap, but they provide an excellent education.

A bachelors degree is expensive, but doable if one applies for financial aid, saves money from working, and seeks to obtain scholarships.

Last edited by Harrier; 12-25-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies