Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
No, that isn't how it works. We have the right to protest low wages and that is how we change things in this country. We protest.
We don't like racial discrimination. What do we do? We protest. We don't like wage discrimination. What do we do? We protest.
Agreed, you are allowed to protest, and your employer is allowed to replace you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I have been on my own since 1976, I used to make it on 2.30 an hour. So yea, I know all about low wages. I remember making a box of rice and some bouillon last almost a week.

I also learned, if you can't make it where you are, go someplace you can afford. I was lucky, I lived at the "Y" for 18 months, before I made good enough friends with 2 other people, and we got an apt together. $195 a month, I remember it very well. I also remember paying 10$ and getting a 1 month pass for the bus, (ok, it's prob more than that now). Riding the bus means no car required, no insurance, no gas, and no repairs.

I also understand your paying your employees well, and if your making 120K plus after bills pay, etc, but what if the sandwich show is making much less. MAYBE, they had to take out a loan to remodel, so they could try to make more money, and in the middle of that, ALL of his employees decide to take a 4 day "Período de descanso" to protest the low pay?

Believe it or not, there are MANY places making it, just barely, and a $3 an hour pay increase, would put them under.

I also understand that not ALL employers are honest, and some try to take advantage of workers. There are ALSO employers just barely making it, and also employers that start people out at minimum wage, and then provide raises, as they stay on the job. People have been making a lot of assumptions about this sandwich shop. MY assumption is this, ALL of his workers walked off the job for 4 days. Personally, I would have replaced them right then and there. If you have a beef, let's sit down and talk, but this is an AT WILL employment, if you don't work as scheduled, I feel as if you have quit.

The bottom line is, there is ALWAYS a way. I refuse to meet life with a negative attitude, if I did, I would be in really bad shape. In 2004 I was laid off, almost 6 figure salary, as a single dad with 2 kids, disabled middle aged vet. I worked 2, 3, and sometimes 4 part time jobs a week, to make ends meet, and not a once did I get welfare, medicaid, section 8, or any other handout. I made the bills, took care of my children's monthly doctor visits and medication. Tired? yup. 18 months later, I was back to full time employment. No longer making what I was making previously, but it was a job, and I knew I would prove myself capable, and a desirable employee. I have done that and more, and I enjoy my job. ANYONE can quit, ANYONE can say it can't be done.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It covers most of Harrier's tuition but not his books here in California.

Harrier has completed one quarter at his university(Harrier is a transfer student from a junior college).

He is saving so that he won't have to use the Pell Grant for many subsequent quarters.

Harrier never used financial aid until he transferred.

A bachelors degree is expensive, but doable if one applies for financial aid, saves money from working, and seeks to obtain scholarships.
What are people gonna do when they go to college and their are not jobs for them? It is happening today.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What are people gonna do when they go to college and their are not jobs for them? It is happening today.
That is the fault of the Obama administration for killing the job market.

A smart person will widen their prospects, take advantage of opportunities, and have an idea of what they want to do, so they can be employed even if a job killing Democrat is in the White House.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:49 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
No, that isn't how it works. We have the right to protest low wages and that is how we change things in this country. We protest.
We don't like racial discrimination. What do we do? We protest. We don't like wage discrimination. What do we do? We protest.
Well you have the right to protest and the right to be fired. Don't like the pay then don't take the job. What can I say? I have had my share of the bottom level jobs and will say this. None challenged me in anyway. They are low level because they require very little brain power to do them. Want a better paying job improve your skills.
How did this protest work out for those people? A hoagie shop isn't a factory job where they were protesting pay that was below an industry standard. Don't like minimum wage? Build your skills.
If I owned that shop I would have fired them too. I would have then replaced them within a week and with very little if any impact on the product. Thats why they get minimum wage, easily replaced with minimal impact.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well you have the right to protest and the right to be fired. Don't like the pay then don't take the job. What can I say? I have had my share of the bottom level jobs and will say this. None challenged me in anyway. They are low level because they require very little brain power to do them. Want a better paying job improve your skills.
Yep.

Harrier thought that he was overpaid when Wal-Mart paid him $11.20/hr to push carts and mop the floor.

That was more than Harrier earned to test laser diodes and fix computers, jobs which he obtained because of his college degree.

Wal-mart paid Harrier $10.00/hr to unload 52' trucks, put the merchandise on pallets, and pull them to the sales floor.

That is what Harrier earned when he was testing and fixing electronic devices.

The most that Harrier has earned is $15.00/ hr, and that was while working overtime in the highest paying job he has ever held - as a customer service agent

Last edited by Harrier; 12-25-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Stop voting for idiots like Obama for starters. Stop voting party line regardless of party for that matter. The fact is that there are jobs. Many are occupied by illegals because no one from either party wants to make E-Verify a law. Those entry level jobs that illegals currently occupy used to go to High school and college kids.
The military is an option. Another option is go to community college first and then move on. Millions have followed this path successfully.

If you want your life to be better stop waiting for someone else to do it for you, least of all the Fed. I am 51 years old in 3 days. I grew up on a farm and then went in the service. after that worked low end jobs and built skills. Today I make $30.00 an hour working in one of the largest paper mills in the country. That company didn't hire me because they felt sorry for me. I didn't know a soul in the mill.

Life waits for no one. I have written 3 books and I am published. I don't make a lot of money from it, but It is money. There are opportunities out there for anyone willing to put forth effort.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You think it's wrong to fire people who are striking but no compassion for the guy who can't run his business because he has no employees. Hypocrite. I think it's HILARIOUS that they got fired.
Ahhh...all of this "compassionate conservatism" that gushes forth from the republican posters on CD (especially around the holidays) just gives me the warm fuzzies all over. And they wonder why they are hated so much.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
All that protesting about your own inability to support yourself doesn't seem to have gotten you off Square One.

How about applying all that energy to.............WORKING! And learning how to live WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

Bingo!

(Start by dropping your costly internet connection.)

I have never physically protested anything in my life, ever. Instead, I apply myself to meet my needs instead of whining and bellyaching. Works for me!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Ahhh...all of this "compassionate conservatism" that gushes forth from the republican posters on CD (especially around the holidays) just gives me the warm fuzzies all over. And they wonder why they are hated so much.
Why do you hate free markets?

The employees were free to not work and the employer was free to fire them because they would not work.

The employment came about similarly - the employees were free to seek employment and the employer was free to hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies