Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,439,232 times

Advertisements

The Patriot act was also passed with a veto proof majority. Next you'll be saying that Bush was forced to sign that too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:13 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,926,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The Patriot act was also passed with a veto proof majority. Next you'll be saying that Bush was forced to sign that too
You really want to bring up the Patriot Act in light of the steroids this admin just put the NDAA on a few days ago?

Maybe you should have just stuck to talking TARP

Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What part of "The Democrat controlled Congress passed the bail-out with a veto-proof majority" where you not capable of comprehending?
He was for it. Period. Even without one he would have signed it. I provided you the proof of him vetoing bills that had passed with a veto proof majority in the past.

His statement is above. He would still sign it given a choice today.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Of course he did.

Just as Clinton claimed to support the Welfare Reform Act of 1996. Yet in January 1996 Clinton vetoed the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, and threatened to veto the bill again in June 1996. Yet when Congress passed Welfare Reform Act of 1996 in July 1996 with a veto-proof majority Clinton signed the law and espoused that it was his idea all along and how much he loved the bill.

You really have no clue about politics, do you?
He was never against it. When the early Tea Party participants worked to defeat the first bill he jumped right in to get a new bill wrote and passed.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,701,499 times
They're pretty quiet now, after the last election I think the media stopped paying attention to them. I was not part of the Tea Party, tthough I do think that they got an unfair portrayal by the media, was there ever any evidence that it was a racist group? I don't think there was.

It's interesting to compare them to the liberal movement of Occupy Wall Stree. Wether you like the Tea Party or not, at least they were organized and accomplished some of their goals, at least they were clean and didn't waste tax dollars on cleaning up the parks after their filth.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
They're pretty quiet now, after the last election I think the media stopped paying attention to them. I was not part of the Tea Party, tthough I do think that they got an unfair portrayal by the media, was there ever any evidence that it was a racist group? I don't think there was.

It's interesting to compare them to the liberal movement of Occupy Wall Stree. Wether you like the Tea Party or not, at least they were organized and accomplished some of their goals, at least they were clean and didn't waste tax dollars on cleaning up the parks after their filth.
Well I do have to say that Ted Cruz and the tea party were right about Obamacare. But the media was used to make people hate them so Obama can push Obamacare through. We will reap the nightmare and more people being in poverty to come.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,015,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well I do have to say that Ted Cruz and the tea party were right about Obamacare. But the media was used to make people hate them so Obama can push Obamacare through. We will reap the nightmare and more people being in poverty to come.
LOL! Inadvertently, what passed ACA was Sarah Palin. She provided the crucial 60th vote, Minnesota'a Al Franken, who won by just 1,000 votes. Palin did this by widening the normal Democratic Mn plurality, and Al Franken, #60, was able to slip in.

No 60th vote..no ACA. Mainstream Repubs like Bob Corker were every bit as anti ACA as Cruz. It had NO GOP support.not even the liberal Collins from Maine.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,510,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was for it. Period. Even without one he would have signed it. I provided you the proof of him vetoing bills that had passed with a veto proof majority in the past.

His statement is above. He would still sign it given a choice today.
It does not matter if the President was for the bill or not. If it passes Congress with a veto-proof majority it becomes law automatically, regardless of the President's wishes.

Now, the President does have the option of producing a Signing Statement AFTER the bill becomes law, where he can contest the constitutionality of the law, or if the law is ambiguous and needs further clarification, etc. But the bill still becomes law.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It does not matter if the President was for the bill or not. If it passes Congress with a veto-proof majority it becomes law automatically, regardless of the President's wishes.

Now, the President does have the option of producing a Signing Statement AFTER the bill becomes law, where he can contest the constitutionality of the law, or if the law is ambiguous and needs further clarification, etc. But the bill still becomes law.
He was for it. I have no idea why you continue to try and defend him here.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,510,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was for it. I have no idea why you continue to try and defend him here.
LOL! I am certainly not defending Bush. I never voted for the man, since I do not vote for liberal freaks, regardless of their political affiliation. What I posted is true for every President and every Congress. It is how our system of government functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies