Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That is what happens when government gets involved. Everything gets out of whack. As a result of government saying that "everyone deserves a home regardless of affordability" now the pendulum swung the other way.

Yes, problems created by government are often exacerbated by new programs intended to mitigate the original problem.

But this illustrates a deficiency in federalism, because federalism made it possible for state and local governments to cripple free housing markets.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We have had this discussion. You would prefer that there were no deed restrictions laws that restrict a minimum size home on a given building lot. Want that cheap home buy a trailer and move it into a trailer park.
Don't screw people who have invested a couple hundred G into a home.
Lets face facts if you can't afford a fixer upper or to build even a modest home, you can't afford a home period.
Most like myself don't just wake up one day and say oh I know I' want to buy a house. We work and we save until we can afford it.
I did worked more hours on my house than I can remember to save money. I did my own yard. My own trim. Painted it and did the drywall all to save money.
I understand that you feel that there is nothing wrong with plopping a 300 square foot house down next to a house literally 10 times as big. I know that you don't care that such an act can and will devalue neighboring houses.
You have choices but refuse to see them. But let me ask you. How can you afford a house when you can't afford a car, get tour drivers license restored or save any money?
Owning a house isn't just the mortgage. Its the taxes, and upkeep.
Poor people are denied houses to own because they can't afford to own a house.

??? Ever heard of guest houses? OJ owned one and rented it out to Kato Kaelin. I rented a guest house for several years. It is standard zoning practice that guest houses ("accessory dwelling units" or ADUs) cannot be segregated in ownership from the 'master' dwelling on the property. But what if ownership could be separated? If I had bought the guest house in which I lived, how would that affect anyone else's property value?

Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No, there is nothing inherent in the small house that causes the devaluation of larger property, but that is the way the market works. Also, a junky place can cause your home to lose value. Homeowners prefer to live in neighborhoods are area where the homes are comparable because of resale value.

Then whose fault is it that zero neighborhoods exist where the comparable homes are 300 sq ft?

Old 12-28-2013, 03:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Ever heard of guest houses? OJ owned one and rented it out to Kato Kaelin. I rented a guest house for several years. It is standard zoning practice that guest houses ("accessory dwelling units" or ADUs) cannot be segregated in ownership from the 'master' dwelling on the property. But what if ownership could be separated? If I had bought the guest house in which I lived, how would that affect anyone else's property value?
You rented a guest house? Hmm that contradicts all your blathering. Oh well. I know your full of it and just make up your "issues" but at least stay consistent.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Have you never had a kid? Do you think it's fun raising kids in poverty, alone!!! You think a hundred dollar or so subsidy is going to make you have a baby? What are you smoking?

I personally have never had a kid. I don't think it's fun raising kids in poverty, but then I also don't understand why so many moms in poverty have additional kids to raise in poverty. There are conditions under which some people might find worthwhile the subsidies that go with having a baby. e.g. if your mother's boyfriend is molesting you, you might find it preferable to have a baby so you can get Section 8 and get away from the boyfriend. I'm not smoking anything. The numbers clearly indicate that a lot of poor people are having babies they can't afford.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You rented a guest house? Hmm that contradicts all your blathering. Oh well. I know your full of it and just make up your "issues" but at least stay consistent.

??? where's the contradiction? Once upon a time, when I had a full time job, I rented a guest house. When I got fired from that dead-end minimum wage job, I could no longer afford to rent the guest house and I moved into a room in a house. As I had rented the guest house for several years, the lease had long expired and I was renting month to month, so I didn't need to break a lease and my landlord didn't need to evict me.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I complain about both. Both are theft.

We are equal opportunity complainers.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, problems created by government are often exacerbated by new programs intended to mitigate the original problem.

But this illustrates a deficiency in federalism, because federalism made it possible for state and local governments to cripple free housing markets.
Federalism is a political concept in which a group of members are bound together by covenant (Latin: foedus, covenant) with a governing representative head. The term "federalism" is also used to describe a system of government in which sovereignty is constitutionally divided between a central governing authority and constituent political units (such as states or provinces). Federalism is a system based upon democratic rules and institutions in which the power to govern is shared between national and provincial/state governments, creating what is often called a federation.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post

This is SO true. Please share.
Works two jobs AND gets food stamps for her and her son (2 people)?

Goodwill? LOL I wonder how long they have to wait outside on a line that goes around the block to get the latest pair of Nikes or when designer clothes go on sale.

Good to know that her mother provides her with a car and her father gives her a new phone every year (good grief, imagine the disgrace of having to be seen in public using an Obamaphone!!) so that she doesn't have to be embarrassed taking a bus or train and not having the newest gadget.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
One thing I noticed with the Obama and democrats. They have people believing it's ok to live on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies