Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:07 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If raising the minimum wage makes your business fail, then it was a failing business and would have closed down anyway once they ran too far into debt.
You've obviously never run a (successful) business.

A successful business plan/formula is a simple math equation. The incoming revenue from customers has to be greater than the cost of doing said business. In the case of a retail store or restaurant, the cost of doing business covers building costs, utilities, inventory and labour (wages). If the income stream is less than the cost of doing business, then it fails and goes bankrupt.

So businesses budget and set a labour budget. You make them pay a higher hourly wage to their employees, then to compensate, they either raise the cost of goods sold or fire some staff and make the remaining staff do more work.

With big restaurant franchises, each menu item is carefully constructed as to how much of each ingredient to use. With Papa Gino's, each pepperoni pizza has the same number of pepperoni slices (cut with the same thickness, (in a precise pattern and also the exact same amount of pizza dough, sauce, shredded cheese and pepperoni. They go for consistency of the product and know the exact cost of each pizza. Employees are taught how to make their pizzas, so the amount of labour used is the same also.

That's also why there is a McDonald's university and why a quarter pounder with cheese is an identical experience no matter when you order it in the US.

Again, raising the minimum wage will not permanently fix the plight of the chronically poor. You're just making the US dollar worth less in terms of buying power. A career as a minimum wage worker at a fast food restaurant or big box store will never ever lead to a middle class lifestyle.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
If raising the minimum wage makes your business fail, then it was a failing business and would have closed down anyway once they ran too far into debt.
How can it be a failing business BEFORE mandating a raise in wages ?
How can you assume it was doomed to fail ?

Do you think small business has billions in the bank like Walmart does ?

You are forgetting that there are 2 sides to payroll here and you raise the min wage and the labor cost of that is much more than just the wage itself.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
When have I contradicted myself? I have stayed on the same points and haven't wavered from any one of them.
Simple. I asked you which chef you would pick , one out of high school or one that came out of culinary school to be paid $20 an hour . You said whichever one produces the best . So in that answer , you basically answered your own remarks you have been making.

So now your saying if chef A was a better chef then B you would pay chef A 20 an hour and not chef B ?

Minimum wage is an entry level pay , meaning you dont need any skilled trade or degree for it. Means you didnt spend extra money and time in school such as college. Last time i checked none of this was free.

Just like if you have someone work in your business that knows that particular trait , then most likely you rarely will have to train them. Now on the other hand someone with no experience in that field needs to be trained and your taking more of a risk with this person screwing up and also doing the work for them as well.

People can live off min wage actually . Here in NJ is it 7.25 unless it went back up again just recently or will be going up by like 25 cents.

If you work 5 days a week , 12 hours a day thats 60 hours. 60 times 7.25 is 435 for the week. Now minus taxes you will make like 400 even. Thats 1600 a month , you can split rent with someone and still have 1k left over for the month. I am sure you can apply for SNAPS to help with food stamps and get free medical/dental as well due to the low income. There are ways to make some quick cash doing odd jobs as well being that now you have 2 days off . They also have low income housing. Transportation buses, trains, taxi, carpool or buy a cheap car.

Now if you have 2 people living together both on min wage they still can easily live as well. The problem is that people forget what we NEED and dont NEED in life ( food , water, clothes, and a roof ) everything else is just extra. People that are making min wage are not doing anything to move up the ladder or get an education to move up. You can always advance if you want too , otherwise look for another job. Usually places will give you small raises here and there as well.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can it be a failing business BEFORE mandating a raise in wages ?
How can you assume it was doomed to fail ?

Do you think small business has billions in the bank like Walmart does ?

You are forgetting that there are 2 sides to payroll here and you raise the min wage and the labor cost of that is much more than just the wage itself.
If your business can barely afford to pay people minimum wage and then has to shut down when it goes up, then that was a failing business that was already in the red or barely in the black.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Simple. I asked you which chef you would pick , one out of high school or one that came out of culinary school to be paid $20 an hour . You said whichever one produces the best . So in that answer , you basically answered your own remarks you have been making.

So now your saying if chef A was a better chef then B you would pay chef A 20 an hour and not chef B ?

Minimum wage is an entry level pay , meaning you dont need any skilled trade or degree for it. Means you didnt spend extra money and time in school such as college. Last time i checked none of this was free.

Just like if you have someone work in your business that knows that particular trait , then most likely you rarely will have to train them. Now on the other hand someone with no experience in that field needs to be trained and your taking more of a risk with this person screwing up and also doing the work for them as well.

People can live off min wage actually . Here in NJ is it 7.25 unless it went back up again just recently or will be going up by like 25 cents.

If you work 5 days a week , 12 hours a day thats 60 hours. 60 times 7.25 is 435 for the week. Now minus taxes you will make like 400 even. Thats 1600 a month , you can split rent with someone and still have 1k left over for the month. I am sure you can apply for SNAPS to help with food stamps and get free medical/dental as well due to the low income. There are ways to make some quick cash doing odd jobs as well being that now you have 2 days off . They also have low income housing. Transportation buses, trains, taxi, carpool or buy a cheap car.

Now if you have 2 people living together both on min wage they still can easily live as well. The problem is that people forget what we NEED and dont NEED in life ( food , water, clothes, and a roof ) everything else is just extra. People that are making min wage are not doing anything to move up the ladder or get an education to move up. You can always advance if you want too , otherwise look for another job. Usually places will give you small raises here and there as well.
Saying I would hire the better chef isn't a contradiction, more than likely it would be the one who went to college, but then again the high school guy could be a natural cook and the college guy could have skated by his education and bad at cooking. So I imagine in a field where cooking is involved you would want to hire the one that can cook well.

I will ask you this, how does one get ahead and go to college if they are working 60 hrs a week? I worked 28-32 hrs a week and barely had enough time for full time college and studying and still had to take an extra couple years for my degree due to technicalities. I couldn't even imagine trying to do it while working 60 hrs a week.

Then of course if you throw in a complication like a child, how does one work 60 hrs a week, have enough time to raise a child, and go to college to try and better their education? All while trying to make a minimum wage salary work when in reality you will always be behind and never get ahead.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
When have I contradicted myself? I have stayed on the same points and haven't wavered from any one of them.
LOL. Yes, you have been contradicting with yourself ever since the beginning.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. Yes, you have been contradicting with yourself ever since the beginning.
How have I specifically or is this just a hollow comment from you?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
If your business can barely afford to pay people minimum wage and then has to shut down when it goes up, then that was a failing business that was already in the red or barely in the black.

Nice. what about the people working for those businesses? Let them die too?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Saying I would hire the better chef isn't a contradiction, more than likely it would be the one who went to college, but then again the high school guy could be a natural cook and the college guy could have skated by his education and bad at cooking. So I imagine in a field where cooking is involved you would want to hire the one that can cook well.

I will ask you this, how does one get ahead and go to college if they are working 60 hrs a week? I worked 28-32 hrs a week and barely had enough time for full time college and studying and still had to take an extra couple years for my degree due to technicalities. I couldn't even imagine trying to do it while working 60 hrs a week.

Then of course if you throw in a complication like a child, how does one work 60 hrs a week, have enough time to raise a child, and go to college to try and better their education? All while trying to make a minimum wage salary work when in reality you will always be behind and never get ahead.

Yes , you hire someone that can get the job done the " best " ... So if i hired someone at min wage that had no experience why should i pay him more ? I am in favor of min wage increases but in very small increases so this way business' can adjust as well to level out at the same time. Let me ask you this , would you pay someone that answers your phones for your real estate company min wage ( $7.25) if she/he no had experience in the field or pay her/him a wage of ( $14.00 ) which would be the wage of someone that does have experience typically ? Regardless of how much profits you were making .

Well nobody said life was easy and you as a person need to pick your path. Its not my fault for your mistakes. Nobody said to finish college in 1 year ? It might take you longer then projected but it still can be done.

Nobody forces anyone to have a child , this is where common sense and priorities come into play. Get on birth control or use condoms , its pretty simple.

I just told you , you can get low income housing where you barely even pay for rent. You can find someone to watch your child , your parents , friends, or a daycare . If you cant afford to live on your own then what makes you think you can raise a child ? Again , these are all logical things that need to be thought out growing up and becoming an adult. Nobody should be responsible for stupid mistakes. I see KIDS popping KIDS out like its going out of style. So why do i need to be held ransom for their stupidity ?

I know a girl that works in shoprite part time , has a kid with no baby daddy. She lives in an apt thats paid for by the government , she goes to school , and still makes it....

Who said life was going to be easy? Who said there was going to be a guarantee to be successful? The things your looking for dont exist in America, this is a country of doing anything you want but taking risks.

Ive read your threads you posted up , so when you actually get into a real business then you will understand all of this.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nice. what about the people working for those businesses? Let them die too?
Let them die? The poorly run business closes, they don't then execute their employees.

I always say I am loyal to a business until those pay checks stop showing up,at that point I look for another job. Chances are they will for another job which will mean many of them will end up working at another hotel that is more successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies