Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
WHY should it be below a living wage?
Nobody is ever going to get ahead assigning an arbitrary dollar amount. If you increase the coallr amount you devalue the worth of the dollar you are being paid. A bunch of minimum wage workers making $10 an hour or $100 an hour will still only be able to purchase the same amount of goods and services. if you want increase your pay you need to instead increase the value of your work.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Why should they care what other people make? Mind your own business and be happy that other people are doing well and stop being so jealous.
Just so that we're clear, here, you're saying that if you took a job at minimum wage, stayed for a few years and worked your way up the ladder, increasing your salary by 50% along the way, you would have NO PROBLEM with discovering that the new guy they hired last week to do the job you used to do is getting paid the same as you, with less seniority and experience? That's what you're saying?

Don't make me laugh. If you're going to make stuff up to bolster your position, you should at least put some effort into making it somewhat believable.

Quote:
Just because someone has not run a business does not mean they do not know how a business workers. Many economist have never run a business but you can bet they know how they run.
I'll take that bet every day and twice on Sunday.

You realize that economists study economies, not business models, right? You do understand that they're completely separate things and are totally unrelated, don't you?

Never mind - you obviously don't, or you wouldn't have written that.

Free advice: Don't try to discuss things you don't understand with an air of authority. You'll inevitably end up making a fool of yourself.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, if that's a good minimum, wouldn't even MORE be better? I mean, come on. The only reason people are poor is because they don't make $50 an hour, right?
So, you believe someone earning $400-$500 a week would put that person on "easy street"? What 3rd world are you living in?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Just so that we're clear, here, you're saying that if you took a job at minimum wage, stayed for a few years and worked your way up the ladder, increasing your salary by 50% along the way, you would have NO PROBLEM with discovering that the new guy they hired last week to do the job you used to do is getting paid the same as you, with less seniority and experience? That's what you're saying?

Don't make me laugh. If you're going to make stuff up to bolster your position, you should at least put some effort into making it somewhat believable.

I'll take that bet every day and twice on Sunday.

You realize that economists study economies, not business models, right? You do understand that they're completely separate things and are totally unrelated, don't you?

Never mind - you obviously don't, or you wouldn't have written that.

Free advice: Don't try to discuss things you don't understand with an air of authority. You'll inevitably end up making a fool of yourself.
Yes because I am not selfish and I can actually be happy for other people instead of being childish and having a tantrum and saying no fair. Do you realize that part of economics is studying business models and how business work? Just because you never experienced something does not mean you know nothing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Go open you own business and you can make those decisions.
These people won't do that. They're too afraid. They're content just telling you and me how to run ours, as if they know a single thing about it.

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So, you believe someone earning $400-$500 a week would put that person on "easy street"? What 3rd world are you living in?
Bob we need a smiley with light bulb flying over your head.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can you at least try to think up answer to my question without deflection?
Not deflecting, just returning the question. People at the minimum wage level should be given a living wage pay so that it helps reduce their dependence on government assistance. Now if you would be so kind, care to answer my question?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Nobody is ever going to get ahead assigning an arbitrary dollar amount. If you increase the coallr amount you devalue the worth of the dollar you are being paid. A bunch of minimum wage workers making $10 an hour or $100 an hour will still only be able to purchase the same amount of goods and services. if you want increase your pay you need to instead increase the value of your work.
In this Globalist Utopia they are building, increasing the "value" of your work is not going to guarantee you are paid a living wage either. What will happen in the Global Markets when 6 Billion people have a skill and automation is even more rampant thanks to technology?

The ones connected to the Wall Street Tit and Insider Trading Politicians will be the only ones to benefit.

Actually this will probably all end in Nuclear War so that the elite can rid off the useless eaters

Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Yes because I am not selfish and I can actually be happy for other people instead of being childish and having a tantrum and saying no fair.
Sorry, I don't buy it. Maybe you believe you'd be all hunky dory with it, but if it were to happen to you in the real world, I don't think you'd be so apathetic.

Quote:
Do you realize that part of economics is studying business models and how business work? Just because you never experienced something does not mean you know nothing about it.
Macro vs. micro. You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry. (You should have taken my advice).

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
People at the minimum wage level should be given a living wage
You do know that only 3% of working adults are being paid minimum wage, don't you? How many businesses are you willing to drive into the ground to help that 3%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies