Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 AM

351 posts, read 372,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I have known dozens of minimum-wage workers with college degrees.

I don't. Everybody that I know with a COLLEGE degree are making above MIN. WAGE.........even if they end up working at a fast food, a college degree equals supervisor/management wages.

I know Mexicans and Latinos with NO college and hardly speak english making $12/$13 an hour at fast food places because they have strong work ethic and move up. I know full time janitors making over $13 an hour and they have NO education.

Of course not all workers are the same. Some could care less in moving up in the work place and have zero ambition. Some know the system well that if they make a certain amount money their welfare checks and government will be cut or stop. They know if they make more money they won't qualify for the EARNED INCOME CREDIT which for them is between from $3,500 to $7,000 every year on their tax return so they stay at a certain lower salary on purpose.......thank Uncle Sam for that.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:38 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,038,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes, if you're 32 and working MW the odds are you've made some bad career, education, training choices.
, and that is the core problem that worker has.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,038,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

No, if you are 32 chances are you are trying to support a family. How can you go to school when you have to work to support them. And maybe these people are working 2 or 3 minimum wage jobs. You really don't know.
Hello, yes having kids before adding skills makes perfect sense..to Al Bundy perhaps.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 AM

351 posts, read 372,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Slavery was indeed becoming illegal state by state prior to the Civil War.

Do research on things like the Northwest Ordinance
I didn't want to go into details but you kinda force me to it.........here we go and do your research if you want.

Abe Lincoln was not an abolitionist and the USA did not go to war to end slavery, nor did the CSA states secede to preserve the "Perculiar Institution".

The right to own Slaves was protected by the US Constitution (Article I, sections 2 and 9, Article IV, section 2, Amendments IV, V, IX and X). Abolition could come only by state law or Constitutional Amendment. Lincoln knew that and said as much throughout the 1860 campaign. As he repeated in his First Inaugural Address, he had neither the desire nor the authority to abolish slavery where it existed. He may have ignored that basic fact when he promulgated the illegal and unconstitutional Emancipation Proclamation, but as a elementary principle of constitutional law, neither the Chief Executive not the Congress could legally abolish slavery or emancipate slaves.

No abolition amendment was ever introduced before 1864 for a very simple reason. The was insufficient support in the north for ratification. The south would not even have had to vote to defeat it. In 1864, with the CSA states absent, Congress considered an abolition amendment for the very first time. It was defeated. Had it been passed in Congress, it would never have been ratified at the polls or in convention. In March, 1861, the Republican dominated northern majority in Congress passed the Corwin Amendment. If ratified, Corwin would have become Amendment XIII. By its terms, Corwin would have prohibited any future attempt to propose an abolition amendment. Rather than to stick around to ratify Corwin, the CSA states seceded. Why would they have seceded to protect a right that was guaranteed, especially when Lincoln and the northern states wanted to extend that guarantee into perpetuity? It is axiomatic that the CSA states did not secede over the slavery issue.

Preserve the Union? Not so. When Great Britain granted independence to the colonies by the Treaty of Paris in 1783, thirteen new nations were created. Those nations joined together into an alliance, a confederation of nations, under the Articles of Confederation. When the Articles proved to be an abysmal failure, the compact was scrapped and a new one was drafted at the Philadelphia (Constitutional) Convention in 1787. The member nations who allied with the new confederation, the USA, did not surrender their independence, sovereignty and autonomy and opt to become subservient political subdivisions of a single nation. They created a FEDERAL, not a NATIONAL, government and the delegated only limited powers to that government over only expressly delineated and enumerated areas of common interest. They, and each of them, otherwise retained full independence, sovereignty and autonomy. The right to secede from the confederation was an implicit, if not express, given.

The right to secede for a government that fails to serve, defend and protect the rights and interests of the governed is the very core principle of the Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison understood there was a right of secession when they authored the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions in 1798. The New England states knew it when the threatened to secede in 1803 and again in 1812 and yet again in 1814 and still yet again in 1815. States on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line understood they had the right when they threatened to secede in 1820/21 over the illegal and unconstitutional Missouri Compromises. They also knew it when, especially in New England, they threatened secession of the Taney Court decision in the Dred Scott case. South Carolina understood it in 1837 when she threatened secession during the Tariff Act/ Nullification Acts crisis. Abe Lincoln understood the right when he argued in support of it on the floor of Congress on January 12, 1848.

The south had been totally disenfranchised and had no voice in the federal government, as the 1860 election so painfully proved. Lincoln was elected without carrying a single southern state and without having even appeared on the ballot in several. The House, with representation being based on population, had long since been a northern club. Representation in the Senate was ostensibly equal, with 2 senators per state. The north held an overwhelming majority there, especially when slave states like Maryland, Delaware, Missouri and Kentucky voted, as they often did, with the northern block. Although 75% of federal revenues were raised in the south, 75% of federal spending occurred in the north. Northern tariffs were making it all but impossible for southern planters to trade on the international market, then northern money and industrial interests were setting bargain basement prices on southern goods. Those same interests were making it impossible for the south to industrialize or expand its economic base. The southern crops, especially cotton, rice and tobacco, and the taxes they produced, were necessary to fuel the northern money machines. In addition, northern states refused to give full faith and credit to southern laws, and some went so far as to render it criminally punishable to do so or to obey the strictures of the US Constitution.

Having had enough, the democratically elected representatives of the people of the southern states passed the Ordinances of Secession. The people, in full accordance and compliance with constitution strictures and due process of law, ratified the Ordinances at the polls or in convention. Taking the words and principles of the Declaration of Independence to heart, and remembering history and the words of the Founders and Framers, they simply reclaimed the independence, sovereignty and autonomy the had never surrendered. The remaining nations in the USA confederation responded by launching an invasion, a war of aggression, with the goal being the conquest and annexation of the CSA nations. It was NOT a civil war. The democratically elected, free and independent governments of the people, by the people, for the people of the CSA perished from the earth.

Why did the USA want the CSA back in the fold? There were many reasons. The southern cash cow was necessary. The USA did not want competition for the theft of Native American lands in the west. The USA did not want a potential enemy nation or confederation of nations on its southern or western border, especially if that (those) nations allied with the likes of The United Kingdom, France, Prussia or Spain. If the CSA states were allowed to secede, the floodgates might open elsewhere, especially given the number of times the New England states had threatened to do it, but folks in some of the western states weren't terribly happy with some of the policies coming out of Washington. There was good reason to worry that the map of North America would come to resemble the ever changing map of Europe, complete with the constant petty wars that were the tradition there. Industrialization had made it desirable that the USA be a single nation with subservient political subdivisions called states, rather than a federation of states (think "nation-state", as did the Founders and Framers).

The Constitution was set aside. The basic precepts of the Declaration of Independence were forgotten. The oaths of office of every government official and military officers (to defend, protect and serve the constitution) were cast aside. It was not about slavery. It was about money and power.

So why pass Amendment XIII after the war? That was not a human rights decision. Ratification of the Amendment was coerced for the same reason Lincoln issued the EP (and why congress had done the same then months earlier, equally illegally and unconstitutionally, with the Confiscation Acts). Emancipation, and later, abolition, were tools of war. They were intended to destroy the southern economy, the southern financial base, southern society and the southern way of life. During the war, they were intended as weapons. After the war, the goals were the same to insure that the south would not soon rise again.

There is a lot more. You won't find it in your text. Remember, "history" is written by the victors. That does not mean that the myths and legends comport with the "truth" or the "facts". The bottom line is, the war was not about slavery. The war did not, and could not, abolish slavery. When the war ended, the constitution was unchanged - until ratification of Amendment XIII was coerced. The war did bring to and end the government the Founders and Framers had tried to establish, and the all powerful central NATIONAL government they had tried to avoid and prevent came into being, the independence of the member nations was lost for all time, and the Declaration of Independence became just so many empty words. So it goes.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,321,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure thing. Employers can afford to increase their largest expense by 50% in a bad economy, right? No problem!
I don't see why not. Historically it has not been a problem. Only in the last 25 years I guess.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/32646971-post88.html

And besides that, a guy I worked with went to school with my mom, graduated H.S. in 1971. You can bet your bottom dollar this guy was not a M.E.N.S.A. Society candidate, far from it, but I love the guy and know his family. We were drinking in the bar one night and I'll never forget, I didn't even bring it up or instigate him, he was telling someone else, and the rough quote was, "I went to work in the steel mill in 1972 or 3, making 20 or $21.00 or $23.00 an hour(it was definitely over 20 and this next part is exact) I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it, so I bought a house. (That's absolutely exact) The point is, along with the link, I don't know what the big deal is paying people a minimum of $10.00 an hour when gas is $3.50 a gallon and houses cost 10 times as much as they did in the 1970's. Color me stupid but I'm not seeing it.

I think a lot of it comes down to brainwashing and making excuses for the fascist, corporatist, bankster, plutocratic, oligarchical, illegal and corrupt system that has been raping the middle and working classes for the last 30 years. They feed the sheep lines like they can't pay more than $7.00 an hour or they'll go bankrupt meanwhile there's a new industry for building 600 million dollar yachts for the "job creators". It goes to show two things: most people are f***** morons and two, they love their slavery, as long as they get their 30 pack and football games on the weekend.

What the elite need is guns pointed and loaded in their direction and what they get is full bars of slaves watching football games on the weekends.

I hope when enough people wake the F up they'll realize that guns and the fortitude to use them is more important than final football scores.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Conservatives have low-wage workers in a gotcha - either they made bad career choices if they work low-wage jobs, or are mooching parasite slacker bums if they reject low-wage jobs.
They just favor the Chinese business model....

Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 AM

27,408 posts, read 15,521,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It would be nice to see Congress push for the federal minimum wage to go up to at least $10.10, though I would rather see them push for $10.75.

I'd rather see them push for the taxes I pay on the money I pay in SS taxes to be stopped.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'd rather see them push for the taxes I pay on the money I pay in SS taxes to be stopped.
That brings up a point. You need to work more hours, I need a raise.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,586,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
I don't. Everybody that I know with a COLLEGE degree are making above MIN. WAGE.........even if they end up working at a fast food, a college degree equals supervisor/management wages.

I know Mexicans and Latinos with NO college and hardly speak english making $12/$13 an hour at fast food places because they have strong work ethic and move up. I know full time janitors making over $13 an hour and they have NO education.

Of course not all workers are the same. Some could care less in moving up in the work place and have zero ambition. Some know the system well that if they make a certain amount money their welfare checks and government will be cut or stop. They know if they make more money they won't qualify for the EARNED INCOME CREDIT which for them is between from $3,500 to $7,000 every year on their tax return so they stay at a certain lower salary on purpose.......thank Uncle Sam for that.

??? HowTF does someone move up in the workplace if the ONLY possible promotion is to their manager's job, and said manager isn't going to leave his job until he retires in 20 years? SOME markets have a large surplus of college-educated labor; college towns and Portland ('where young people go to retire') are examples.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,771,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure thing. Employers can afford to increase their largest expense by 50% in a bad economy, right? No problem!
I agree that small businesses may be hard pressed to pay more than the min wage, but there are many large companies/corporations that can afford it and should pay it, they would not miss a beat. Small businesses should be exempt for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies