Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 AM

278 posts, read 273,952 times

Advertisements

Yahoo!

Seriously? Cutting them again? They already cut them 2 months ago! I guess when you are a millionaire and don't have to live by the ignorant laws enacted it really doesn't matter.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Well this isn't surprising. If one doesn't eat properly it can lead to health problems.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
The story illustrates well why food stamps and government funded health care should be eliminated.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The story illustrates well why food stamps and government funded health care should be eliminated.
Yeah to heck with those too poor to afford enough food or healthcare huh!?Just let em die off. Strong survive weak die.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Yeah to heck with those too poor to afford enough food or healthcare huh!?Just let em die off. Strong survive weak die.
as someone who volunteers both time and money to a local soup kitchen I disagree with your characterization.
Apparently you think charity comes from the barrel of a gun and americans should collectively be made poorer to satisfy your selfish causes.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:20 AM

You know as well as I do that if food stamps and healthcare were not free or at least subsidized millions of people would die. Americans are selfish people unfortunately. Things aren't like they used to be when you had 2 and 3 generations in 1 home taking care of each other.The government has to help those that are helpless,I to volunteer at charities,I give food to those in need,I take my neighbors to the grocery store because they have no car, I give clothes out etc etc etc..But I do not mind the government taking part of my check to help those less fortunate than me. If people didn't have to be "forced" to help by taking it from their pockets then I doubt it would be like that. There are people worth MILLIONS and BILLIONS who could easily help eradicate poverty in this country but they would rather ship their products overseas to be made by children and literal slave labor for pennies an hour instead of paying a livable wave to Americans here in America. I have no sympathy for the rich who get rich off the backs of poor workers who bust their butts for 8 and 9$ an hour to just barely scrape by on that and need welfare to get by as well which the rich then complain about as well. The rich either need to pay higher wages and take more off welfare or stop complaining all together. Its the ole saying trying to have your cake and eat it to. They want to be rich and don't want any of these pesky poor folks taking their riches.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
You know as well as I do that if food stamps and healthcare were not free or at least subsidized millions of people would die.
Actually, you assume that. You don't know it.

Quote:
Americans are selfish people unfortunately.
Nice generalization. Not accurate, but nice generalization nonetheless. Unless you know ever American personally and know what their giving habits are, you don't have anything to back up your argument.

Quote:
Things aren't like they used to be when you had 2 and 3 generations in 1 home taking care of each other.
Yep, things change. Women aren't relegated to the kitchen anymore either.

Quote:
The government has to help those that are helpless,I to volunteer at charities,I give food to those in need,I take my neighbors to the grocery store because they have no car, I give clothes out etc etc etc..
Actually, the government doesn't have to help anybody. You have a belief that the federal government is a savior, and that's fine. Other people feel that the federal government vastly overreaches it's designated powers and spends far too much money on things that should be handled at a local or state level.

Quote:
But I do not mind the government taking part of my check to help those less fortunate than me.
Good for you. Some of us do mind, especially when the food stamp program is run in such a slipshod way that there is no accountability.

Quote:
If people didn't have to be "forced" to help by taking it from their pockets then I doubt it would be like that.
Doubt away.

Quote:
There are people worth MILLIONS and BILLIONS who could easily help eradicate poverty in this country but they would rather ship their products overseas to be made by children and literal slave labor for pennies an hour instead of paying a livable wave to Americans here in America.
Apparently you have serious jealousy issues. The majority of millionaires are self-made. They didn't inherit their money, they worked for it. Why do you wish to punish hard workers? Aside from that, it's apparent that you have never run a business and dealt with labor markets, regulations, and corporate taxes.

Quote:
I have no sympathy for the rich who get rich off the backs of poor workers who bust their butts for 8 and 9$ an hour to just barely scrape by on that and need welfare to get by as well which the rich then complain about as well.
I have no sympathy for those who willingly stay in jobs that pay $8 or 9$ per hour and then complain that they don't make enough money to live on. Improve your skill set and move on to something that pays better, or shut up and accept the fact that you get paid what the labor market deems a fair wage.

Quote:
The rich either need to pay higher wages and take more off welfare or stop complaining all together. Its the ole saying trying to have your cake and eat it to. They want to be rich and don't want any of these pesky poor folks taking their riches.
The rich don't need to do either. What needs to happen is that people who are working low wage jobs need to figure out how to make more money. They can use those low wage jobs as a stepping stone while improving their skill set, or they can continue to make a career out of bad choices and complain about it. There's nobody holding them at gunpoint and telling them that they can't do better for themselves.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
as someone who volunteers both time and money to a local soup kitchen I disagree with your characterization.
Apparently you think charity comes from the barrel of a gun and americans should collectively be made poorer to satisfy your selfish causes.

One thing a large majority of food stamp recipients have in common is that they are spending an unsustainabky large proportion of their income on housing. So the problem is largely caused by those same guns in the first place.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
Quote:
Of course, "Let them die" is compassionate conservatism.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
SNAP is SUPPLEMENTAL people. It's not supposed to be the primary means to get food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies