Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Lowest Divorce Rates By State

Well, not if this is any indication. People in blue states are not in as much of a rush to get married and pop out babies at such a young age. Maybe they're more likely to live together first, and discover they hate each other BEFORE someone slips on a ring. It makes much more fiscal sense.
I used to intern for a divorce lawyer when I was much younger before taking on a different career. As most people know, divorces are expensive. However different states have their own procedure when it comes to divorces. Some are lengthy, some are short, it all depends on the situation. To my knowledge, Southern states have a shorter window when it comes to a finalizing a divorce. Also cheap too. In the Northeast, divorces tend to be very time-consuming and very expensive. The time consuming nature has to do with additional measures in order to make sure the divorce is final.

The rate itself is more tied to how many families there are in that state vs other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I don't think you'll find any such statistics. I've known lots of strong Christains over the years and know of few divorces. The problem is that who defines who and who is not a Christian. There are lots of folks who count themselves as Christians, but are not really Christians, they don't worship, or participate in the life of a church in any meaningful way. Also, there are lots of Churches that are labeled Christian, but have renounced all or most of the actual teachings of the Bible.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Is there any credible evidence that Consevatives have stronger marriages, more robust family values, or significantly lower divorce rates than any other Americans?

If not, why is this myth prepetually promoted as true?
No, of course it is not true--plenty of conservatives have divorced or have lousy relationships with their kids.

It is perpetually promoted because GOP strategy dictates that if you repeat something often enough, people will believe it. I do not think anyone has believed this for years though, as the hypocrisy of the family values platform was exhibited quite clearly by hard core Republican endorsers of family values like Newt Gingrich, Bob Barr and Bill Young who all had several marriages, extra-marital affairs and dumped their wives.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Lowest Divorce Rates By State

Well, not if this is any indication. People in blue states are not in as much of a rush to get married and pop out babies at such a young age. Maybe they're more likely to live together first, and discover they hate each other BEFORE someone slips on a ring. It makes much more fiscal sense.
I always find it funny watching people use the exact same "statistical analysis" that stormfronters use on blacks etc. to try to make points about "red states" or "blue states".

Really, people have no shame about their lack of education around here.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Conservatives are just like everyone else.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I always find it funny watching people use the exact same "statistical analysis" that stormfronters use on blacks etc. to try to make points about "red states" or "blue states".

Having lived in red and blue states I know what the mindset is. The list makes total sense to me. I'm sure you probably think MA is just like OK. Red vs. blue....what a crazy concept!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
there are some religiious groups that have low divorce rates. but i know some of the people in those groups and the marriages. very unhappy people.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
If I had to guess I would say that the higher the eucational/income level the more stable marriages and families (children born in wedlock) you have.

Hollywood being an exception.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Is there any credible evidence that Consevatives have stronger marriages, more robust family values, or significantly lower divorce rates than any other Americans?

If not, why is this myth prepetually promoted as true?
No, there isn't. Quite the opposite, actually.

Why Do Red States Have the Worst "Family Values"? | Alternet

Why is it nonetheless promoted as true? Because people apprehend reality through narratives, not facts. That is to say, people buy into a general story about what reality is and become emotionally invested in that story. If facts come along that contradict their chosen narrative, people just reject the facts. They don't revise their whole world view...

Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The difference is, Stormfront can be proven wrong.

The only argument you have against what people have posted here is that you dont like the method. But not liking the method is not the same as them being wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies