Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's just me, but I think "how much do you need to retire" is a stupd and useless survey question.

If you own a $300K house without a mortgage, you need MUCH less to retire than someone with the same income who is renting. So answers to this question don't tell me anything useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
A lot of people say they will keep working until they die. Unfortunately they have not checked with their companies and the trend now is that corporate America forces many people out after age 50 or 55. At that point it is not all that easy to get another position. Hope that everyone who thinks they will keep working and not retire have a way to make an income so they are not dependent on a company in order to do that. Have seen this happen to a lot of people at all different companies, especially in this recession--a lot of over 50s are being encouraged or forced to leave. This is probably why many workers have no corporate loyalty.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,002,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Working longer might be ok for desk jockeys. But there are many of us in trades and physical jobs who might not be able to work in old age. Elimination of defined pensions have created this retirement crisis. Now that people have to fund the majority (or all) of their retirement, many will come up short.

Working as a desk jockey is no guarentee of being able to work into your golden years or even work over the age of 50! Old age,or the effect of chronic health problems like obesity, diabettes, cardio-vascular disease or things like carpel-tunnel injury can ring the curtin down on a working career even for a fairly senior level employee (professional or management duties)! For example, don't expect to be able to keep a job if diabettic retinopathy reduces your corrected vision from lets say 20-40 to 20-100. or if you need to visit an outpatient clinic on a regular basis for for treatments like steroids for chronic anemia, chemo for early stage cancers or dialysis for renal failure-- few employers will cut the poor employee a break.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,562,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Working as a desk jockey is no guarentee of being able to work into your golden years or even work over the age of 50! Old age,or the effect of chronic health problems like obesity, diabettes, cardio-vascular disease or things like carpel-tunnel injury can ring the curtin down on a working career even for a fairly senior level employee (professional or management duties)! For example, don't expect to be able to keep a job if diabettic retinopathy reduces your corrected vision from lets say 20-40 to 20-100. or if you need to visit an outpatient clinic on a regular basis for for treatments like steroids for chronic anemia, chemo for early stage cancers or dialysis for renal failure-- few employers will cut the poor employee a break.
At age 30 or 35, they still can't imagine ever being old.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,780,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Retirement" is an artifact of my parent's generation. My grandparents all worked until they died. This was the norm prior to the implementation of social security/medicare. My grandparents seemed to be productive and live fairly long lives by working.

I personally could retire today. However, the purpose of a life is not to grasp the "brass ring" of retirement, only to find that there is nothing after that "goal". Work is stimulating and gives one a purpose in life. Heck, I even work for "recreation" on my farm on days off.

Take more vacations along the way and just work longer- it is not a big deal. Anxiety is created when people worry about whether they are going to achieve thier retirement goals or not. Why not simply keep working and eliminate that componant of anxiety and stop worrying about whether you have enough money or not?
Too many old people working means too many young people without job.
Some countries force people to retire at a certain age for good reasons.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:00 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
If these people continue to clutter up the system what are young people supposed to do for employment?

I just retired after working (if you count slaving for my step father) for 60 years. I am still on the sitting on my dead ass stage. Maybe next year I will look for something to do for more pocket change.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

What do those countries say to burger flippers (who don't have the earnings to save adequately for retirement)? You're screwed?

Old 01-18-2014, 03:20 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,798,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
maybe if government didn't rob the people and rob social security people could retire at a reasonable age. They would be able to save and the government would have to keep pushing social security to an older age.

Every time government says they are going to "fix" something they end up costing us our future.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,263,785 times
That's me, I will drive that engine until they carry me out in a stretcher.

Because of Oliar, I have no option.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That's me, I will drive that engine until they carry me out in a stretcher.

Because of Oliar, I have no option.

He is oiliar than his predecessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies