Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
He is oiliar than his predecessor.
I drive trains for a living. Beware I don't cause a derailment in your town hauling crude oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Why do people think that those who are retired sit around and do nothing all day? Being retired, with enough to do so, gives you the ability to do whatever you want with your life at any time, without the shackle of work attached. If you want to build model trains, you can do that at will every day. If you want to go on an African safari, you can do it whenever you want. If you want to paint, paint all day. If you just want to hang out at the pool…do that. Retired people don't all just sit around watching Fox News, make a few racist jokes, then die.

What the above says to me is that you are hoping to condition people to want to work forever, to make yourself feel better.

If your life is only viable if you are working, then that sounds like a pretty miserable existence. I, for one, could stop working today and never be bored again in my lifetime if I had the funds to keep me above water. I've only worked 9 days out of the last two months and have yet to be bored for a single second. And I already have fun projects lined up which could keep me busy for years. That's what retirement is about.
What the above says to me is that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Condition people? I'm posting an opinion on a website. Don't make it anything more than what it is.

Do you and I'll do what I do. I wanna have a JOB to go to. If you don't, that's your business.

"Condition." Lol....unreal.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times
I like what I do. I will keep doing it until I lose my license for going blind, senile or dropping dead from a heart attack.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I like what I do. I will keep doing it until I lose my license for going blind, senile or dropping dead from a heart attack.
Ditto.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
A lot of people say they will keep working until they die. Unfortunately they have not checked with their companies and the trend now is that corporate America forces many people out after age 50 or 55. At that point it is not all that easy to get another position. Hope that everyone who thinks they will keep working and not retire have a way to make an income so they are not dependent on a company in order to do that. Have seen this happen to a lot of people at all different companies, especially in this recession--a lot of over 50s are being encouraged or forced to leave. This is probably why many workers have no corporate loyalty.
I see workers beginning around the mid 50's ~ forced out again and again and again. We all know it's happening; I don't understand why more age discrimination suits are being filed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Working as a desk jockey is no guarentee of being able to work into your golden years or even work over the age of 50! Old age,or the effect of chronic health problems like obesity, diabettes, cardio-vascular disease or things like carpel-tunnel injury can ring the curtin down on a working career even for a fairly senior level employee (professional or management duties)! For example, don't expect to be able to keep a job if diabettic retinopathy reduces your corrected vision from lets say 20-40 to 20-100. or if you need to visit an outpatient clinic on a regular basis for for treatments like steroids for chronic anemia, chemo for early stage cancers or dialysis for renal failure-- few employers will cut the poor employee a break.
You're right there too.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,525,107 times
Quote:
I drive trains for a living. Beware I don't cause a derailment in your town hauling crude oil.

Dang, I live in a rail hub.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I see workers beginning around the mid 50's ~ forced out again and again and again. We all know it's happening; I don't understand why more age discrimination suits are being filed.

"Everyone knows" that it exists but "nobody can prove it" plus large corporations can hire better lawyers than the plaintiffs can hire.

"Reasonable doubt for a reasonable price."

Old 01-18-2014, 05:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

You're right there too.
Depends upon the job. If the job has physical demands that a 55 year old over weight out of shape person can't manage, should a business be forced to employ them? I don't think so. I think a company should try to find work they can do, but how many jobs should a company be forced to create to facilitate people? For example where I work we work 12 hour shifts, on concrete. Much of our work force is 50 years old or more. Those who can't handle the shifts tend to retire or leave.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Do the DOT regs apply to you too?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,781,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
maybe if government didn't rob the people and rob social security people could retire at a reasonable age. They would be able to save and the government would have to keep pushing social security to an older age.

Every time government says they are going to "fix" something they end up costing us our future.
Or maybe these people can quit credit cards and live frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies