Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you actually implying that QE and ZIRP do not negatively affect the middle class?

I guess it's true... there really is no cure for stupid.
Stupid is thinking no one can succeed based on QE and ZIRP. I agree if anything QE and Zirp complicated the game and made it more challenging. Which is exactly why very few of my investments hang upon the stock mark. I doubt I'll ever be rich, but I will never be so poor that I need to work after I am 55. My books are selling making a small profit. My retirement will be spent writing books which I enjoy. It isn't work to me it is stress relief. Sailing the coast of Thailand, fishing and hiking in Northern Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I'll probably never really retire, but by the time I am in my old age I hope to be enjoying running my own company and doing the things that I enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You're hilarious.

You want to run your own company, but your politics are for preventing that from ever happening.

Man, have you got a universe to learn, and a world of unlearning, as well.
lol, yep his very politics will hinder him. That's exactly the lefts plan because they need people to stay looking to them for hope. Did you notice he's stuck on "hope".

Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
My 401K lost 70% of it's value in the "last implosion", but I had the cash on hand to take advantage of that and made a lot of money. Saving is the key to a good retirement and anyone can have that if they develop a plan and stick to it. We have no debt, put 2 kids through college with no student loans and (like our parents who did the same thing) planned for our future. Don't ever think you can't do the same. Diversity of investment is key.

We retired in 2010 and life is great.
You are not the only one who has stated they lost alot of money in the last market implosion of 2008. My 401K lost 40% of its value in 2008.

In 2009, I made 36% of my portfolio in gains for the year. In 2010, I saw 64% increase in my 401K net worth. I was buying stocks like crazy in 2008 when prices were a 1/3 of what they are today.

2008 was a great year to buy stock. I think alot of people don't use bear markets like they should, which is to say they should invest heavily. Stay with safe bets and you will come out smelling like a rose.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or the other 63% are like myself and have solid 401k's and other retirement acts. Believe it or not some americans can actually save and can actually live within our means. Not all of us only live for the moment.
You got that right. I live so far below my means that "retirement" is entirely possible. And it won't include sitting around counting my pennies, it will mean traveling the world, spending my savings.

Forums like this one make the thought of international travel far more appealing, seeing and hearing the conservative lunacy is great motivation to seek out other destinations inhabited by sane people.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How is it that you are an expert on how my investments are doing when you don't have any specifics?
As I said My investments are doing well. Only 1/3 are in stocks of any kind and those stocks are conservative and yield a fair dividend.
Are you also willing to admit that those stocks' values are artificially propped up by QE?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,552,625 times
Let's see how those 30 somethings feel about welfare for the young and able bodied when they're 65, working and paying huge taxes to support them so they will vote Democrat.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I'll probably never really retire, but by the time I am in my old age I hope to be enjoying running my own company and doing the things that I enjoy.
Yikes.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,365,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
However, the purpose of a life is not to grasp the "brass ring" of retirement, only to find that there is nothing after that "goal". Work is stimulating and gives one a purpose in life. Heck, I even work for "recreation" on my farm on days off.

Take more vacations along the way and just work longer- it is not a big deal. Anxiety is created when people worry about whether they are going to achieve thier retirement goals or not. Why not simply keep working and eliminate that componant of anxiety and stop worrying about whether you have enough money or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Beeing retired is boring anyway. I can't imagine sitting around and doing nothing. I will always be working. I have no problem with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't see me retiring either. I don't think people were meant to sit on their butts all day with nothing to do.

I'll work part time until I can't physically work anymore.
Why do people think that those who are retired sit around and do nothing all day? Being retired, with enough to do so, gives you the ability to do whatever you want with your life at any time, without the shackle of work attached. If you want to build model trains, you can do that at will every day. If you want to go on an African safari, you can do it whenever you want. If you want to paint, paint all day. If you just want to hang out at the pool…do that. Retired people don't all just sit around watching Fox News, make a few racist jokes, then die.

What the above says to me is that you are hoping to condition people to want to work forever, to make yourself feel better.

If your life is only viable if you are working, then that sounds like a pretty miserable existence. I, for one, could stop working today and never be bored again in my lifetime if I had the funds to keep me above water. I've only worked 9 days out of the last two months and have yet to be bored for a single second. And I already have fun projects lined up which could keep me busy for years. That's what retirement is about.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
That because most people didnt have money to invest (myself included) because they exhausted their savings and were worried about finding a job and not becoming homeless
Obviously those people who are out of work are not investing in their retirement plans.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Retired people don't all just sit around watching Fox News, make a few racist jokes, then die.
That demographic is well represented here, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies